Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Wutlitzer Building Exterior Lighting « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

A_franklins_son
Username: A_franklins_son

Post Number: 53
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While walking around downtown last night, I noticed that the front of the Wurlitzer Building has exterior lighting. I saw no signage announcing a potential rehab of the building and couldn't find anything online besides that fact that's it's unused. Does anyone have information about its current status? Could this be a sign of rebirth or just an attempt to spruce up the block for the Opera House patrons?

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1226
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who owns Wurlitzer, the city? I would not be surprised if someone puts something in it, the rest of the block is in good shape now.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 902
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's been lighting on the building for months now, is this new lighting?

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 241
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just noticed this recently as well, although I had sworn I saw the building lit up a few months back also. It does look really nice.

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 157
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe Larson Realty Group is involved in a potential redevelopment. It sure would be nice to see them do something similar to what they did with the Eureka Building.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 888
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The lights have been there since the Superbowl and were part of the clean-up effort.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 243
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's empty inside, and in amazing condition. very few smashed windows, very little graffiti... question: on the first floor there seems to be a good amount of theatre equipment... and white partitions... what were these things used for, and what are those white partition boards? what was the history of the building? nothing in the place dates past the late 80s... not even homeless materials...

Docmo

Post Number: 158
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The homeless guy in the wheelchair who lives in the doorway seems like a nice guy. His name is Rod.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 929
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the 1970s the 6th floor was occupied by the Detroit Police Lieutenants and Sergeants Association. A catholic supply firm occupied, I think, the third floor, and the owner of the building had his home on the seventh floor. He was killed in the building about 1980 when he stepped into an elevator shaft in the building thinking the elevator was there. It wasn't.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4481
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jump on the elevator and get the shaft. Oy veyesmere. Hope it never happens to jjaba in Las Vegas.
What goes on in Las Vegas, stays there. Hope that ain't me as a tourist.

jjaba, Old Timey Newsboy.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1145
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How, pretell, does one enter an elevator-less elevator shaft?

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suppose that if you are in a rush, and standing right outside the doors, and as they open, you start moving forward, your momentum may be such that you could not stop from falling down, even though you realize that the elevator is not there. That would be a pretty awful way to go...

Post Number: 1147
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, that would be a terrible way to go.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 202
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a $10,000 tax notice stapled to the door on Monday night. It is gone now.

Post Number: 1148
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope the owners pay their tax bill in pennies. That would make a good story.

A_franklins_son
Username: A_franklins_son

Post Number: 56
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the interesting information, people. I wonder why this building was chosen to illuminate as part of the Superbowl cleanup. Are there any other unused buildings that this happened to?

Pardon my typo in the title of this thread too.

Docmo

Post Number: 163
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suspect The Wurlitzer was chosen because it is adjacent to the then brand new YMCA and Opera House Garage. The Broadway streetscape was also was also brand new at the time. Lighting up the Wurlitzer does definitely enhance that walk down Broadway at night.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 244
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's a beautiful building... someone dying in there is %*&#^$& creepy....

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 764
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The exterior lighting on the Wurlitzer was put in with the rest of the new lighting on Broadway. There is similar exterior lighting on other buildings along Broadway, mostly between Gratiot and Grand River.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 242
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually Andy, I wouldn't say the building is in THAT good of condition. There is quite a bit of damage due to vandalism and very serious water damage on the top floor. If that's not enough, the side and back walls are bowing outward due to either infiltration of water or expansion of roof and column members on the outer parts of the building (due to temperature differences). I don't see this as a result of neglect but poor engineering and by the looks of it from the outside, it's an expensive problem.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.