Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Building between David Stott Tower & 1001 Parking Garage? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1312
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have information on the building between David Stott Tower & 1001 Parking Garage on State street?

(Message edited by dan on November 18, 2006)

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 372
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Used to be a Cunningham Drugstore. Back a long time ago it even had an entrance along Woodward. Griswold Sporting Goods was also here.

Last action I saw up there was during the filming of '8 Mile' it was used as the interior of the Shelter.

Dan

Post Number: 1313
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 8-10 story art deco/Moderne building on the South side of State the street, between the Stott and 1001 woodward?

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 380
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dan, I forgot about that part of it... Colonial Merchandise Mart! But that side too had an entrance to the Cunninghams.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4719
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this the building now called Clark Lofts?

Dan

Post Number: 1314
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is currently empty, and there are no signs.

68012712-M-2

Dan

Post Number: 1315
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*Thanks to whoever took that photo. I had it saved on my computer but forgot to label it with the photographer's name.

Sorry

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1141
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know who owns it?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 47
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That building is actually 'L' shaped in plan and continues around behind the Stott Tower over to have a front on Griswold. From what I have heard the Griswold front also used to have an art deco appearance, but was later changed.

Foodandwine
Username: Foodandwine

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is owned by a firm out of Pontiac, Franklin Properties. They have no plans for it. They are waiting for future development opportunities as Griswold/Capitol Park are is cleaned up.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4724
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have any other basic info such as the name, the year built, address...?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 48
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rebecca Binno Savage who wrote "Art Deco in Detroit" is the person that told me the information about it being L-shaped in plan. I am not sure if that building was one of those featured in her book, but it was recently published and could probably be found in a library. If that doesn't work, you could try contacting her directly because she knows everything about every building in Detroit, and she is also extremely nice and willing to share what she knows. rebecca.binno.savage@aktpeerle ss.com

Dan

Post Number: 1318
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 5:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Dan

Post Number: 1320
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No one here knows?

BOOOOOO

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1726
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^
^
^
^------- I thought the questions were answered above.

What do you want to know?

Dan

Post Number: 1321
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I guess my question was very broad, but I was hoping someone would know the buildings history, architect, some of the past tenants, etc.

I think it’s a wonderful building.

Thanks for the info provided, I hope someone sees this and can add some more!

Thanks

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4744
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, how was the question answered? We don't even know the simple facts on the building such as the name, address, or anything else for that matter.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.