Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Metro Detroit Drive-In Theaters « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Michigandriveins
Username: Michigandriveins

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm looking for any photos of drive-in's, love to hear from ex-theater employees too. Thanks for the great site, I've spent lots of time on it. :-)

Ron http://michigandriveins.com

Blue Sky

Waterwinterwonderland
Username: Waterwinterwonderland

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey man, why don't ya put up the uncensored version of that marquee? :-)

www.waterwinterwonerland.com

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1666
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you affiliated with the website below?

http://www.waterwinterwonderla nd.com/drivein.asp

Hysteria

Post Number: 1667
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops ... Waterwinterwonderland beat me to it!

Michigandriveins

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigandriveins.com and Waterwinterwonderland.com are basically sister sites, we share all of our finds.

I thought the uncensored version of that shot was just a little crude for my first post here. LOL

Msamericana
Username: Msamericana

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the forum, guys. I thought you two knew about this site. People reference you here. =) FYI, I have more theater photos to share with you, Gary.

Michigandriveins

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks... I've known about it, just got around to posting here. Maybe drive-in restaurants would be of more interest here........

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 181
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was one up until 1996 or somewhere around there on Gratiot north of Hall Road.

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 140
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember one in Taylor, on Van Born Rd, west of Telegraph and east of Beech Daly. They tore that one down when I was a wee-little one, probably around 1990? The lot where it sat is still there. The screen (and probably everything else) has been removed but its a forrest right now. You can actually see the lot where it was in the satellite image from Google Maps (which was taken a few years ago):

http://maps.google.com/maps?f= q&hl=en&q=taylor,+mi&ie=UTF8&z =16&ll=42.266941,-83.278513&sp n=0.007289,0.021501&t=k&om=1

Michigandriveins

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those would be the Mt. Clemens Drive-In and the Jolly Roger Drive-In. Here's all of the Metro Detroit drive-in's...http://www.michigandriveins.com/summary.asp?region=3

Mt. Clemens

Jolly Roger

Dillpicklesoup
Username: Dillpicklesoup

Post Number: 240
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget the "oak" and the "Troy drive in-

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3351
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats on your terrific site MichiganDriveins and welcome to the forum. It has been added to my links list.

Gary's awesome www.WinterWaterWonderland.com sits atop that list and for good reason. It is a truly amazing and comprehensive site!

Hysteria

Post Number: 1708
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh how times change ...

Eh.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My aunt and uncle live 2 streets east of the old Jolly Roger. I recall going to visit them in the late 70's and seeing the neighbors on their roofs, watching the flicks!

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2083
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some good memories of the Mt. Clemens Drive In. I grew up not too far from there. My wife and I when we were dating, saw...um... attended a few movies there.

I can remember as a kid driving down Gratiot, Hall or I-94 at night and trying to figure out which movie they were showing. When they added the ability to hear the movie via your car radio, it made driving by the place an even bigger puzzle to solve.

I also worked at the KFC right up the street during high school. We had cars wrapped around the restaurant starting two hours before the movies until about a half hour after the movies started. The nights the drive-in was open were usually record sales nights for the restaurant and usually put our restaurant in the top for sales in the whole Detroit area. We'd literally go through thousands of pieces of chicken those nights with nearly every car buying 8-20 piece meals. Now knowing that food sales are one of the biggest profit areas for a movie theater, I now know part of the reason why they went out of business!

Don't forget the only original/real drive-in still operating: the Ford-Wyoming with a grand art deco main screen to boot.

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 160
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gary, I was checking out your WaWiWo site. "There was yet another theatre in the dilapidated metropolis that was Port Huron." "God, I hate Port Huron." Ouch, lol. It is too bad that I was never able to see them, growing up there well after most had closed.

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 310
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can still see a double-feature year round at the Ford-Wyoming Drive In in East Dearborn. It's worth the price if you can stay awake that long. And now's a good time too - it gets dark so early! When I was there last, it was pretty much the longest day of the year - the movie didn't start till 10:45!

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 734
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 7:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

back in 1981 I worked as a projectionist at the Holiday Drive In in Trenton (a LONG way from home). The one thing I found working a DI as opposed to a hardtop (indoor theatre) was that you can't turn down the lights and start the show at a given time. I had to wait until the mgr. called on the intercom and said "OK, start the trailers"--we did this before it was really dark enough. the best part was running "the dancing weenie" between features--that scratched, already dated concessions trailer.
"ONLY 5 more minutes 'till show time--go to the snackbar and get mouth watering treats!"
"Lets all go to the Lobby"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =ettuTnD5Ods

Michigandriveins

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell...thanks for the welcome & the link! Great site!

Busterwmu...yes, enjoy the Ford-Wyoming while you can. It really is a good deal. But, the 6-9 side is rumored to be closing for good, for lack of business. And, the owner Charles Shafer is really getting up there. I guess that place is his pride and joy, not sure what'll happen to it after he's gone.

56packman...We're lacking in Holiday photos, any ideas?

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 762
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never thought to take any while I worked there, and would like to have some myself. Likewise all of the theatres I was in in Detroit in the 70's and early 80's, never once had a camera (with one exception up on WWW). Of course It would have been difficult to photograph a huge dark barn (with no power) with out some $$$$ equipment.

Austinjohn
Username: Austinjohn

Post Number: 292
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not exactly in Detroit, but there was a XXX drive-in just outside Durand called the Sceen. Have some pics of it somewhere, and if I can find them I'll post them.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.