Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » More layoffs in the city (Macy's edition) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 615
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least they waited to cut until after the holidays. Still.....

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20061116/U PDATE/611160470

Krapug
Username: Krapug

Post Number: 54
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The article on detnews website is cut off, but I assume that macy's is planning on eliminating Design Studios at Northland and other locations.

Further cutbacks are planned in Chicago, including a number of delivery and furniture control positions.

Federated is also cutting a number of positions in Chicago as well. Needless to say the Macy's "national brand" is taking a toll on many.

Ken

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 743
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That Warren distribution center is only a little over 8 years old, having opened to replace the Beaubien St. warehouse.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Basically, merging within an industry creates duplicate operations in any given industry; it might not have been a big surprise for those working there.

Illwill
Username: Illwill

Post Number: 83
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read in the paper the other day that something around 2/3 of Marshall Field shoppers in Chicago will not be stepping foot into Macy's. I agree, the national brand is affecting sales everywhere but in NYC.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5210
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SCREW MACY's I never shop there!

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 914
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know... I haven't been in since the conversion. I just can't go in there lol. It's like growing up it was Hudson's and being in the midwest you knew of Marshall Fields and when MF toko over it was the same comfy feeling, for the most part.

The whole Macy's vibe just seems wrong and cheap in the midwest. I can't explain it, it's early and I'm rambling.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1069
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could taste a little vomit in my mouth when I saw the Donald Trump brand suits in the men's department at Oakland mall the other day.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.