Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Marian HS fires lesbian guard « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3659
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not sure if this has been covered on DY or not. A lady gets fired because her lifestyle did not coincide with the teachings of the Catholic Church. What the f$%k is this? What the hell are the assholes in charge over at Marian HS thinking? You cannot treat someone like that. This lady did nothing wrong whatsoever. I can see that she was publicizing her autobiography…not sure if is is a book or not but still. I do not see how anyone can be against her.

What’s your take?

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20061019/NEW S03/610190423/1005/NEWS

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1473
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First experience with the Catholic Church, Patrick?

Patrick

Post Number: 3660
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

heh, well not a Catholic myself.

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 368
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what i don't get is that there are SEVERAL lesbians (and a few gay men) who have taught there. they aren't/weren't not all out, or at least openly out, but pretty much every girl who goes to school there figures it out pretty quickly. there have also been lesbians who attended the school. and i am SURE sr. lenore is well aware of all of that.

i've always thought of that school as being fairly progressive in it's teachings and hiring practices, even though it is a catholic school and supposedly should only teach the "catholic way". and this just totally makes me sick to think this actually happened. this is not the marian high school i remember.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 366
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Catholic Church is oversensitive about these things these days. My Catholic High School had several teachers of that persausion, and no one was freaked out about it; and that was back in the 80's. One was a priest and he got de-frocked. I think in their battle against looking bad they are not looking at the big picture.

Its sad to say but there is so much fear in the church no one knows what the right thing is anymore.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 95
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a prime reason why so many people are leaving the Catholic Church for other faiths, they find the whole Church highly hypocritical.
Roman Catholics are taught that their religion is one of love, tolerance and understanding yet they practice just the opposite. It doesnt take long for anybody with a mind to see the injustice.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5199
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All Christians MUST recognize that if they see the lifestyle of SIN, they MUST not accept it, but to pluck the lifestyle of SIN from out the person.

The lifestyle of Homosexuality is NOT welcome in the church, but the person must be welcome in the church.

In the Church WE MUST LOVE THE person who he or she is but not the lifestyle of SIN within the person. If that person choose to do SIN. Don't turn away from the person but to either pluck the SIN from out the person or prevent SIN from entering the church.

LOVE THY NEIGHBOR, BUT DO NOT ACCEPT SIN!

(Message edited by danny on November 17, 2006)

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1585
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This is a prime reason why so many people are leaving the Catholic Church for other faiths, they find the whole Church highly hypocritical.

According to the BBC it is the largest religion in the world and growing(~1 Billion and counting).

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really? I had always thought Islam was bigger, from what I remember from religion classes.

According to Wikipedia (I know, I know) Christianity as a whole is bigger than Islam, but Islam is bigger than Catholicism and is the fastest growing world religion.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W orld_Religions

Sorry, I don't mean to be nit-picky. It's a slow day :-(

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1037
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe that I'm just seeing this now. This is an outrage. Who do they think they are? They had better fire 60% of their priests...CHRIST!

How can I sign this petition...it doesn't work. Argh...

Valkyrias

Post Number: 369
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

after i read this last night, i sent the link to some friends and family who attended marian with me...and i shoulda known there was another side to the story. apparently this book goes into detail about promiscuous sex, drug abuse, and child abuse (she both physically and verbally abused her daughter). and i guess this woman has been saying for a long time that she would get fired if and when this book came out. so it could be said that MANY aspects of her lifestyle accounted for her being fired. i looked up a few other articles on the topic, and a lot of them say that she doesn't blame marian nor does she blame sr. lenore. she understands that sr. lenore had to abide by the *rules* but was still surprised that it happened...probably because there are many other gay staff members and students, however none have been as vocal as she was. and unfortunately, sr. lenore had to do her job. if the *head honchos* tell her to do something, like fire someone because their lifestyle isn't in line with the catholic church, then she has to do it or else she'll lose her job. it's like being between a rock and a hard place. we all have our personal opinions on, and know how the catholic church can be. it's gotta suck be one of those from within who try to fight against this kind of thing only to get completely caught up in the bureaucracy of it all...such is life.

i still don't really agree with it, though. for one, it sounds like this book is how this woman triumphed over some of these demons she's had...so, wouldn't that be a good thing? and i don't think she goes on about the job she had at the school or anything related to that, so i don't see the big deal. although, i suppose one could go into the whole argument of losing students and funding from alumnae donations and so on. but then again, had they not fired her and not had several articles written about it, would anyone have known anyway? i know i didn't have an idea about this until last night...

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1949
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing like this would ever happen at good old Brother Rice.

Stand tall Warriors. Stand Tall.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1588
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Really? I had always thought Islam was bigger, from what I remember from religion classes.

Meant to say Christian Religion

quote:

1. Christianity: 2.1 billion
2. Islam: 1.3 billion
3. Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/ Atheist: 1.1 billion
4. Hinduism: 900 million
5. Chinese traditional religion: 394 million
6. Buddhism: 376 million
7. primal-indigenous: 300 million
8. African Traditional & Diasporic: 100 million
9. Sikhism: 23 million
10. Juche: 19 million
11. Spiritism: 15 million
12. Judaism: 14 million
13. Baha'i: 7 million
14. Jainism: 4.2 million
15. Shinto: 4 million
16. Cao Dai: 4 million
17. Zoroastrianism: 2.6 million
18. Tenrikyo: 2 million
19. Neo-Paganism: 1 million
20. Unitarian-Universalism: 800 thousand
21. Rastafarianism: 600 thousand
22. Scientology: 500 thousand

Patrick

Post Number: 3666
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rastafarianism? You mean pot smoking? Shit, there has to be more than 600k.

Restoretheroar
Username: Restoretheroar

Post Number: 712
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Nothing like this would ever happen at good old Brother Rice.

Stand tall Warriors. Stand Tall."

Amen

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 144
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why are you outraged that a religious organization makes policies in support of their religious beliefs? If I don't abide by MY employers standards, they have a right to fire me. The only thing outrageous here is the double-standard between male (priests) and female employees.

(Message edited by yvette248 on November 16, 2006)

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10880
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My take...

Lipstick lesbians are hot!

Dabirch

Post Number: 1951
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know when I first read this, I thought they had fired sophomore guard, Anina Cicerone...I thought what bad timing, during the playoffs and all.

Then i saw that she had 9 points against Troy the other night, so I figured it had to be a different guard.

Valkyrias

Post Number: 370
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I thought they had fired sophomore guard, Anina Cicerone...I thought what bad timing, during the playoffs and all."

that comment just made me feel REALLY old...i remember when that girl was just a baby. interesting to know that she's following in her mom's footsteps...

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 49
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Come fly with me, lesbian seagull..."

Dabirch

Post Number: 1956
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

that comment just made me feel REALLY old...

Maybe we should call you Valk-alzheimer

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5207
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

don't forget Satanism (Devil Worshipers) 990 million! Those folks always welcome the lifestyles of homosexual activities.

Valkyrias

Post Number: 371
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ha! good one dabirch!

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6003
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More Satanists than Hindus huh Danny.

Butt sex is the devils work!

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yaktown, HAH!
Oh, the 90's.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.