Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Neighborhood « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 70
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is going to show my complete ignorance about everything in Detroit that is not in the greater downtown area, but lets say I rented a house at McNichols and Linwood. I know its around the Palmer Park area. What kind of neighborhood is this? Safety wise? Grocery? Vague question, but any information would be appreciated.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 265
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was raised in that area the neighborhood is not bad. There are a few problems here and there like at that Bp on 6 mile and belden where I believe 2 people have been killed at this year(mind you at 4am) and auto and auto part theft(like your rims and radio).

Other than that I would say this area is one of, if not the nicest area in the city. And if you are looking at those apartments around the six mile and Linwood area I would say go for it, except for that pinkish building at that corner it has been nearly empty for a long time.

You can do your shopping in Highland Park at the Model T plaza or go to the Farmer Jack at Livernois and 7mile. There is also a CVS, Comerica ,and lots of other shops on Livernois between six and eight mile.

Hope it helps.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 384
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deandub 11, LaSalle Ave. is just east of Linwood. Some of the largest, most beautiful two-family flats in metro Detroit are on the east side of LaSalle between McNichols and Puritan. Many of these flats are quite extraordinary. Many are in the Tudor Revival style. They seem to be owner occupied rather than owned by absentee landlords. Most likely, however, you would have to know someone to have a shot at renting one.

The next street to the east, Baylis, also has large two family flats.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 72
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up at 6 and Parkside and it was always a tight community. Yes if you are outside in detroit anywhere at 4 in the morning the risk of something bad happening is much greater but I must say that my dad still lives there and his house has been broken in once in the 24 years he has lived over there and that was just to snatch a purse they could see through the window. Car theft can be a little bit of a problem but if you have a stick or a theft deterrent device you will be fine. Martin Park is very nice, great homes nice people. the others are right mainly owner occupied so you are lucky if you can find a place to rent. As for whats around grocery wise livernois and thatcher is savon which is one of the better grocery stores in the city. Besides that I would go down the lodge to University foods or out to holiday market in RO. My recomendation would be to jump on it if it is convienient and a reasonable rent. Just beware of the young adolecents when they get out of Halley Middle school loud and disturbing but I worked with them at the greening of detroit and they were all good kids. Gregs pizza is a good indy pizza joint but the slices there have good days and bad days. Sandwiches you can not beat Lous deli across from marygrove. Also beware for the occasional bum out front of the stores in the area but that is anywhere in detroit. the house would be more Ideal at least a half block away from 6 mile. CVS isnt far either shopping will all be on Livernois in the area. If you need more info just let me know.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5204
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All Detroit neighborhoods is a ghettohoods from the River to 8 mile Rd. Whether they ghettohood os well kept up or torn up. You would like to find po'folks, DEAD (C)KRAK HEADS, mutants and schizoblacks everywhere.

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some perspective from a relative outsider: almost each one of "Danny's" posts chips a little piece of quality off this forum.

Why do y'all tolerate this bigot ?

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 661
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"All" do not find him tolerable but don't have the power to do anything about it.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1337
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always viewed Danny like my best friend's autistic little brother. No one wanted to play with him, but our parents made us drag him along to all the reindeer games when we were growing up. We teased him occasionally, but everyone else in the 'hood knew that if you messed with him, you'd have to answer to us.

"He ain't heavy....he's our Danny"

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bongman: are you implying he's mentally challenged or mentally ill ?

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1338
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only when he forgets to take his meds.

Hit24sqft
Username: Hit24sqft

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some perspective from a relative outsider: almost each one of "Danny's" posts chips a little piece of quality off this forum.

>>>> Ever hear of "freedom of speech" - it's a uniquely American idea.

Username: 7051

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have lived a 1/2 block north of 6 Mile on Fairfield for 8 years. I am actively involved in the neighborhood and no one has been killed at the Fairfield/6 Mile BP or the gas station 1 block west of Belden on 6 Mile. In fact, there is not a gas station at Belden and 6 Mile, so please be more accurate in the future.

I haven't had any problems in the neighborhood, but there is the occasional car theft (if left in the street at night) or garage theft. I regularly receive crime maps from the nearby precinct and have a good idea on what is going on nearby.

Beavis1981
Username: Beavis1981

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 2:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello to all first post here. been a long time lurker due to the fact I live in the super yuppie hellhole known as oxford, MI and have had nothing to contribute till now... I can't tell you about 6mile and linwood but I can tell you about 6 mile and cameron (which is only on the other side of woodward). the area i speak of is bombed collapsed shell of a neighborhood its a well known one stop shop for the best d-town raw and buttah that the d-man has to offer we used to hook there then go buy a rose and chore boy at the gas station at dequindre and 6 mile

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3096
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 3:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^^^
????? Huh?

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 793
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 3:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WTF does that all mean? beavis?

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 932
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 4:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^lol... street speak for the goods you get locked up for, lol

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 385
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think beavis is a closet crackhead who comes to our City to do crack, pee in our bushes and go home. No worries, the areas are not even comparable. McNichols has mansions on it, and the area around Linwood/LaSalle/U of D is not even in the same league.

Beavis1981

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no 1 most crackheads are closet cases crack isn't exactly a social drug. no 2 I also come down there to visit the latest reincarnation of DEMF every year. no 3 I stay away from that nowadays since wayne county dea confiscated my car and made me walk home from six mile and woodward.

Beavis1981

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh and here the translations for you gistok-
raw- slang for heroin seems to be a local word
buttah- the best crack is yellowish colored and soft like butter
rose- the conceal crack pipes by putting a little paper rose inside so it looks like a stupid gas station trinket you probably seen them before and thought nothing of it.
chore boy- those copper scrubbing pads used to clean pots these are used for screens in the crack pipe

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 407
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good for Wayne County, they should take more people cars. I think they should also take em for parking on sidewalks and too close to street corners, makes it impossible to make a turn safely

Beavis1981

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dp its really not as simple as it looks- I guess I will fill you in on the rest of the story- when I got pulled over we went through the usual spiel- where do you live, where are th edrugs blah blah blah so when it was done with the said there was good and bad news. good news I'm not going to jail bad news they are impounding my car. ok whatever i thought I will have this cleared up by the time the weekends over it didn't really matter (do to their stellar police work I left the scene with a 1/2 ounce of weed and all the dope the officers SAW us purchase) then after looking at the papers they gave me It was going to cost $900 to get my $500 car back so after an adventure to frank murphy hall of justice to sign over the title I found out where it was impounded- some hillbilly run lot downriver. this place actually has a wayne county substation! the stupid rednecks actually tried to charge me $20 to retrive by belongings from my car! I would have no problem with this if the money actually went to help the detroit residents which this drug trade is hurting but I'm sure this is just another kwame fundraiser. I did the crime I will do the time but that was ridiculus

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5221
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Beavis1981, welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy our codespeak.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 413
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:
I would have no problem with this if the money actually went to help the detroit residents which this drug trade is hurting but I'm sure this is just another kwame fundraiser. I did the crime I will do the time but that was ridiculus

______________________________ ___________________
So what your saying is the reason you buy your drugs here is to help the local economy in the city?

Beavis1981

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is another reason I have never posted. this thread derailed a while ago. my first post was relevant to the topic- somebody wanted to know about a neighborhood I told him my first hand account of an area only 1 or 2 miles away. my second post was to explain the first post. the third post was because somebody seemed happy at my misfortune without having the full picture. 4th post- giving said person full picture. now here we are 5th post completely off topic explaining 4th post- D72-no the reason I bought (note past tense) drugs there is because they were of far better quality than in pontiac. If you really want to argue about local economy the guy I bought from (shorty) owned his house had a really nice cadillac with tinted windows, rims, and a kickin stereo and i'm sure my money helped pay for some of that. Then he spent the money in the community. In case you don't know drug dealers are notorius partiers/frivolous spenders.
but the point I was trying to make is as follows- I'm sure you are aware that part of the cigerette taxes in michigan are supposed to go to a fund for cancer patients or others hurt by smoking. I'm just saying they should do the same with all these court/impound fees they are collecting donate it to blight busters or some program like it

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1674
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

raw- slang for heroin seems to be a local word
buttah- the best crack is yellowish colored and soft like butter
rose- the conceal crack pipes by putting a little paper rose inside so it looks like a stupid gas station trinket you probably seen them before and thought nothing of it.
chore boy- those copper scrubbing pads used to clean pots these are used for screens in the crack pipe

Wow! I just learned a lot!

Napalm_heart
Username: Napalm_heart

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm about 130 miles west of Detroit. I come to the city several times per year to listen to live music. Powertrane, Dirtbombs, Avatars, Sirens, Broadzilla, Porchsleeper, and such are what I usually prefer. I would appreciate any comments on the area around the Lagerhouse as to parking, safety, or anything else. Thanks.

Magnasco
Username: Magnasco

Post Number: 200
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Broadzilla is still playing?

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 801
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

napalm its safe and quiet.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2804
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

130 miles for some music? That's dedication.
Just don't leave your valuables on the car seat and everything should be fine.

Napalm_heart
Username: Napalm_heart

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw Broadzilla 11/29/03 at The Blind Pig in Ann Arbor. I didn't know they had broken up. Thanks to all for the replies. I hope to be therec (Lagerhouse) on Dec. 16 to see Powertrane and The Last of The Bad Men. I know some guys from New Hampshire that plan on driving over. Gotta go where the stuff you want to hear is played, and many of these groups don't come over to Lansing or Grand Rapids.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4046
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 5:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walked home to Oxford from Six & Woodward after getting busted?

Be lucky it was a more tolerant Detroit cop as opposed to a "Lock 'em up and throw away the key" Oakland County cop.

Are you sure your view of the area wasn't a wee bit jaded because you were serving part of the penance for being stupid and buying drugs in the COD? Hooray, you paid for your crime and hightailed it back to Oxford.

C'mon back, buy some more drugs and maybe this time they'll spare you the long hike home.

Beavis1981

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow you detroiters are really touchy aren't you? even though downtown is expieriencing a revival and crime rates are down a large portion of the city remains not that great to say the least. have I ever been victim of a violent crime? no. have i ever been ripped off in the d? no. but on this same walk home I was solicited by 2 prostitudes in broad daylight and a 11yr old boy and his 8yr old brother asked me if I wanted any weed. THIS IS NOT A MADE UP STORY BY ANY MEANS I WILL SWEAR ON A BIBLE IF NEED BE! and all this does not change the fact that this neighborhood is royally fucked up go look for yourself if need be. anyways how is it stupid to want better product at cheaper prices?

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Broadzilla broke up? They were at the New Dodge last month for the Crud fest.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 639
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only thing we're touchy about is assholes like you coming to our city to buy drugs. Your story was never relevant, 6 Mile/Cameron is damn near I-75, you were busted in an entirely different neighborhood. So do all of us a favor put down the needle, the pipe and stay the hell out Detroit.

Beavis1981

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

okay sorry, I claim ignorance here what I consider a neighborhood Is 15-25 mins DRIVE from my house in detroit it seems to be more like a 15 to 30 min walk from your house once again sorry! but considering the area I was speaking of was only 2 miles from the mentioned area I don't see how it is that horribly irrelevent now If you want look down on me thats your choice but your words sound like c.a.ys infamous quote about hitting 8 mile and not looking back so just go ahead and ignore that drugs are probably the root of most evils in detroit and will be until people start learning to confront the problem head-on instead of putting it out of site out of mind. never mind the fact that I have seen people die and helped them live from this epidemic helped educate whoever whould listen about harm-reduction and have insider information about patterns of drug use you wouldn't believe just rite me off as useless now......

free your mind and your ass will follow.......

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 85
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good grief, I'm going to stay out of Oxford. Beavis, you are so full of crap. You're kidding right?

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 546
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cultural and economic geography changes a great deal in two miles, particularly in urban areas. Look at the Grosse Pointe/Detroit border for instance.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.