Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » CM Tree Lighting- Nov 17 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 654
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://info.detnews.com/events redo/index.cfm?fuseaction=byev ent&event_id=29174

With a special appearance by the D-Yes Skate Team doing their tribute to architecture.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 954
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last year was pretty damn windy, but it was still a great time. Just a note, the ice rink was JAM PACKED on opening night last year. If you don't have patience you might want to wait to ice skate another day.

(Message edited by sharmaal on November 15, 2006)

Pam

Post Number: 657
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 623
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are the Pistons playing that night.... :-)

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1661
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Pam.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't anybody going to complain that the tree was from New York instead of Michigan? Anyone? Bueller?

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2317
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd prefer them to cutdown a tree in NY than a tree in Michigan.

Pam

Post Number: 665
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 4:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Final bump

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1694
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 7:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My hubby (aka the Grillmaster) is playing the Tree Lighting Ceremony with Thornetta Davis tonight!!! Should be a rockin' funky Christmas-y time!!!

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 224
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds really Great Kathleen. Where will the stage be setup with the ice rink in place now?

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1128
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope the entertainment is better this year than last. I recall they kept pushing that lady on us who couldnt sing well. I seem to recall also microphone issues at times. These are all critiques of a spectactular event, that I am in no way disheartened with watching.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2323
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Where will the stage be setup with the ice rink in place now?

It's the same place it always is. The rink doesn't cover the stage.

http://www.campusmartiuspark.o rg/webcam.htm

Pam

Post Number: 666
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What time does Thornetta go on?

Kathleen

Post Number: 1695
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They don't know exactly...as we've heard, they are to play a couple songs before the tree lighting and then immediately afterward. Since the Channel 7 telecast is scheduled for 7:30 to 9:00, I imagine that it would be somewhere shortly before 8pm. But that's a guess.

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 225
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Ndavies. I was hoping that the stage would be more visible to all the crowd this year. Last year on the ice or in the little private grandstand seemed to be the only good seats. But like 1953 I enjoyed the event last year and will be there again this year.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7132
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just got back from abp. Campus Martius is abuzz. Workers finalizing the stages, news vans, people watching. They're playing Motown hits over the speakers. It's really a lot of fun just to watch them setting this up.

Post Number: 1132
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just saw 200 white kids running up Woodward from Campus Martius. Weird.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 926
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ The Ghost of Coleman Young told them to hit 8 Mile :-D

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 150
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm planning on walking up there tonight probably around 7:15 with some friends, since im newish to downtown can someone recommend somewhere to eat after? not looking to go to hard rock or abp. thanks! hope to see lots of you there, although I have no idea what any of you look like :-)

Downtown_dave
Username: Downtown_dave

Post Number: 99
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Woodward is pretty cool - in the Compuware building, just north of Campus Martius on Woodward. Or east of the park on Monroe St. you'll find Indian and Thai places.

Saabdriver1986
Username: Saabdriver1986

Post Number: 380
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know what time the lighting of the tree will be? Im planning dinner and don't want to miss it.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 156
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Woodward will probably be packed - and is on the pricey side. That's not to say you shouldn't go, it's just a heads up.

I'm taking a group of friends to Union Street (off of Woodward, in midtown) afterwards. It's not cheap, but a little more on the casual side. It also might be a little less crowded as it's slightly outside of downtown proper (only a 5 minute drive, a bit far to walk).

Imperfectly

Post Number: 152
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Downtown dave, I thought about The Woodward...is the price reasonable?

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 157
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, now that I look, it's not bad, Metro Times says "Price: $10 to $25". (I was assuming it was more - I've never had dinner there, just visited the bar)

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andiamo Riverfront - In the Ren Cen. Now there's good italian food and service. Plates range from 15-35 bucks.

My friends playing in the tree lighting ceremony tonight. Check him out -

Hot Club of Detroit
gypsy jazz - pretty cool stuff.

Imperfectly

Post Number: 153
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Andiamo riverfront is amazing...im thinking something more low key.
I know about Hot Club, a girl I work with is friends with one of the guys...heard their cd they are great.
Union street would be perfect...except im not walking there. What about Buzz Bar on Larned?

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 956
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THe lighting itself will be at 8:40. This is from various sources, but not well publicized. I'm pretty sure this is the time, because it woudl make sense that the WXYZ telecast would end at 9:00.

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 640
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This looks like a pretty cool thing to do before the tree lighting. A Pre-Lighting Pub Crawl:-)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20061117/E NT01/611170421&SearchID=732632 36844866

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen,

That's great that your husband is playing tonight! Thornetta is who he was playing with that time when I visited, right? Have fun! I wish I could be there!

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2092
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This looks like a pretty cool thing to do before the tree lighting. A Pre-Lighting Pub Crawl

What? Hosted by the folks at Inside Detroit?

Who really wants to hang with those bozos?

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 385
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Imperfectly, I had lunch at The Woodward earlier this week. We did not have any alcohol and we paid about $25 each including tax and a 20% tip. I like the Woodward, and every time I've gone, I've felt I got what I paid for; but it is pricey.

Downtown dave, mentioned the Indian restaurant on Monroe, Sizzle& Spice. The food, to me, is quite good and reasonably priced; however, it lacks charm. He also mentioned Orchard Thai on Monroe. Really good Thai food. Both places are quite reasonable.

Most reasonable, would be either the American or Lafayette Coney Islands on Michigan, just west of Woodward. Good food, and in their own way, lots of charm.

And, of course, Greektown. The Loco has good Tex-Mex food and is quite reasonable.

Enjoy your evening!

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone who was at the Tree Lighting have a report on how it went? Not living in Detroit, I could not watch it on television.

Post Number: 1136
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had lunch at the Woodward today and loved it. I got the turkey club, with fries and a drink, for about $15. The server was a bit of a newbie and the fries are never enough, but the lovely setting and great presentation always make it worth your while.

Dbt
Username: Dbt

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neilr,

For good Indian food at a good price, try the American Marsala on Forrest (I think) and Woodward, just south of the new Wayne State welcome center. Great food at good prices. I think they have an all-you-can-eat buffet until 3pm each day of the week for about $8.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 291
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's a good place for nice sandwich that isn't expensive in the immediate downtown area?

I particularly like:

BLTs
Tuna Sandwiches
Egg Salad Sandwiches

Thanks for the help :-)

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10885
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 3:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tree

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10886
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 3:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cman,

The event was as packed as ever, too packed for me. The park itself is shoulder to shoulder with people arriving way earlier than I care to in order to get a prime spot. Instead, I met up with friends at the bar after an hour or two of the festivities, passed through later to get some better shots of the tree. All the big local tv stations, including 101 WRIF were there covering the event.

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 642
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 4:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jason, Try Foran's with the new ownership and a new menu it would be right up your alley!

Oh and Fnemecek...How come there aren't any independent movies or tv shows being made in the metro detroit area? Man...hopefully one day Detroit will be like NY or LA;)

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 751
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 7:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We went down with some friends and Campus Martius was packed! Was there a beer tent, because we couldn't mind one? Anyway, didn't matter, because the energy and the crowd was just awesome. Afterwards, we headed to Pulse then the Thai place across the street. What an awesome night in the city.

Pam

Post Number: 668
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 8:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw it on TV and they forgot to say who Thornetta was! Lame. She was cool though and so was the Hot Club.

Kathleen

Post Number: 1697
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too watched on TV....in a hospital waiting room while a family member was undergoing a lengthy surgery (they are doing fine as of this morning), so was able to see Dave and the rest of the band briefly as they started playing as soon as the tree was lit. Hence no intro for Thornetta, and only the one shot of the band.

It was great seeing so many musician friends participating in this new Detroit tradition!!! Looked like everyone had a great time last night!!!!

Pam: Thornetta and the guys played earlier before the telecast began, so that would have been their introduction. Similarly some or all of the other acts we saw on TV also played short sets before and after the telecast.

Cman710: Yes, Dave was playing with Thornetta at Fishbone's in Greektown when you were in town back in August.

Pam

Post Number: 673
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Pam: Thornetta and the guys played earlier before the telecast began, so that would have been their introduction. Similarly some or all of the other acts we saw on TV also played short sets before and after the telecast.

It seemed wrong to not even put her name on the screen though, after they gave everyone else a big intro and hype. (She sang on Oprah! She sings for the Red Wings! etc.)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.