Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Headstones and Tombstones « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Beadgrl
Username: Beadgrl

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always been a fan of old cemeteries and old headstones/tombstones. Lately, i've started taking pictures of some of the more beautiful stones that i've found. Unfortunately, my computer had a virus and i lost all the pics i've taken. I'd love to start taking pictures again. I know there are plenty of great old places to take the pictures, but does any one stone stick out in your mind? The person or families need not be famous, just have a fabulous stone. Anywhere in the Detroit and Metro Detroit area is fine.

Thanks!

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 383
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Elmwood Cemetery and Woodlawn Cemetery would be the best places for you to see and photograph wonderful old monuments in metro Detroit.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1332
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always stop at the cemeteries up Gratiot and Groesbeck. Towns like Memphis, Armada, Richmond have lots of old ones that go back to the Civil war and earlier. Most are small, kept up, and easier to explore than large ones in the city.

How much room is left in Mt. Olivet ? Damn that place is huge ! Never been inside Elmwood. I need to check that out someday.

14 & Hayes....there's a small cemetery there. There's one tomb built into the side of a hill that is kind of unique. "Ford" is the name, from 1909. Worth a pic.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4189
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In SW Detroit, Woodmere and Holy Cross.

Beadgrl

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool! Sounds like i need to gas up the car and make some road trips with the bf.

I'd love to get back into working with B&W film but i'll stick to my Sony Mavaca for now. I can use sepia and B&W effects on it then upload.

So excited now!

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 719
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out Clarenceville cemetary on eight mile between Grand river and Middlebelt. There are stones there dating back to 1837. I grew up on the street near that cemetary (after we moved from NWD-'69)

Beadgrl

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will do that, 56packman. It's not far from my home. Now, if the weather would be agreeable!

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 624
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Holy Cross Cemetary you can see very graphically the effects of the 1918 influenza epidemic. There is a section of childrens/infants graves (bought singly no doubt because their young families had no family plots and the deaths were so unexpected). Dozens of the headstones mark deaths during the weeks of the epidemic.

Many of the influential from Detroit's first French families are laid to rest in Mt. Elliot cemetary. They have beautiful headstones.

Beadgrl

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The bf and I found Frank Navin's burial site in Holy Sepulchre in Southfield. I took the pictures on the findagrave.com site.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi- bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=725353 2

Beadgrl

Post Number: 50
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wanted to thank those of you that gave me suggestions on places to take pictures. When i get a free day and the weather is good, i'll head out. I'll be sure to post the pics for everyone to see.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1303
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a thought, but burn your pix onto a cd rom.

Banta156
Username: Banta156

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beadgrl,

I snapped this pic at Mt. Olivet just a little while ago. It is at the very entrance off of Van Dyke. Hadn't been there in years and it was all very surreal. I am like you when it comes to cemeteries. The thing about it is, no matter what is going on outside of those gates, the cemeteries always seem frozen in time, exactly as it was. Nothing had changed.

Hope you like.

Banta156

Entrance at Mt. Olivet Cemetery

(Message edited by banta156 on November 20, 2006)

Beadgrl

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nicely done, Banta. Love the misty look and the colors.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.