Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Six groups to announce plans for Detroit turnaround effort « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7107
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Civic boosters are expected to announce Tuesday they have formed a super group called "One D," to be headed by Edsel Ford II, which will create a blueprint for transforming Detroit and southeast Michigan.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20061113/U PDATE/611130448

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2071
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danggit, Jeff! You beat me to punch by just a couple of minutes.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 7108
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bless them for good intentions, but I've read and reread this article and can't figure out what this organization intends to do or how they intend to do it.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3072
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why isn't the DEGC included?

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 904
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ me either

Itsjeff

Post Number: 7109
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, I'm guessing because DEGC is a City-funded department and has a singular mission, to promote economic development in the City of Detroit. "Regionalism" isn't their thing.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 875
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They'll hopefully give more updates that the Max tomorrow.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4693
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The more groups working, if even only lazily, is better than what's been going on for the last few decades (i.e. little to no regional planning, whatsoever). I'm just glad to see so many taking interest in the future of the region. Just chalk it up to symbolism, which isn't going to hurt the area.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2213
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The economic upheaval that Michigan is undergoing is now forcing many to look inward, and to start caring about things that have not been on the front-burner for decade: the health of our cities and the notion of regional cooperation. Let's hope this catches on.

Cris
Username: Cris

Post Number: 431
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They'll spend about a year coming up with a mission statement....

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 286
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those are some big names. At the very least, they'll be more effective as a whole than individually.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 655
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cris,

I think with Edsel running it...you may see more demonstrable results more quickly.

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 639
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think this is a good step in the right direction for regionlalism...or at least get people working together better. United Way is an organization that has had success in bringing many groups together in the past, and I see them doing even more along those lines in the future.

We'll know more tomorrow.

Cris, it's possible...it did take them awhile to come up with the name One D.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 120
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a lot of planning and coordination stuff going on in the background. It will leak to the surface little by little. Expect a lot to happen in 2007.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3294
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is great to see, but it does have a little jumping on the bandwagon appearance, like they finally notice something genuine is happening and now want to be a part of the success. The rise of Detroit has been moving along for quite a while now but, hey, the more the merrier at the party.

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 156
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, maybe I misunderstood the article, but it seems like the group isn't anyone new "jumping on the bandwagon," as much as it is 6 existing groups that are pooling their resources, talents and ideas.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 877
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody happen to be at the Max, or here any additional detail on this?

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 354
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems like I'm always hearing about groups forming 'plans' to transform detroit...

Only one that has followed through on their plan in a noticeable way is the Detroit Riverfront Conservancy

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 625
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Andy. For example, the convention bureau made the bid that brought the Super Bowl to Detroit and that started so much for the City. I think they have a claim to fame that they are more than 100 years old and have worked on behalf of the city, bringing conventions and events (NCAA Men's Final Four!)all that time.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 807
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One D. That's original.

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 389
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with Jeff, Chris, VizionDetroit + other skeptics (cynics?)

It's also amusing to read about middle-aged guys in suits slinging phrases such as 'One D' and "walking the talk" . . . which led my imagination to this:

Detroit's latest hip-hop artist gets mad love
for his debut CD single, 'One D.'
Give it up now for I RunDRC
. x'You've been a great audience, so
here's a duet with the new addition to
our posse, Doug (D.Dawg) Rothwell.'

In truth, Crain's Detroit Business quotes Detroit Regional Chamber CEO Richard Blouse Jr. as saying today: “We thought it was time the business community walked the talk."

. . . and rapped from the same songsheet. Get down with that One D thang, Dick. Very street.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 137
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And Snoop dog admitted that he likes MSNBC. Go figure.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.