Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Late last night, early this morning? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Qweek
Username: Qweek

Post Number: 52
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometime last night a very, very loud aircraft buzzed my neighborhood. It woke me up of course, and it wasn't until this morning that I found out it had roused my whole family too. I half expected to hear the plane crash, it sounded as if it was barely above 100 feet, did any of you hear the same thing last night? If so, what time was it? Kind of odd, it really was.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2911
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And you live where?

Qweek

Post Number: 53
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Farmington

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 332
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

its the 101st airborne invading LIVONIA!!

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7102
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zulu and I were photographing soil erosion, nothing more. Please put the entire incident out of your head.

Qweek

Post Number: 54
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I figured I'd get such a response. My brother was in the 101st airborne division, Vietnam, never came home...irony.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 874
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, sorry to hear that Qweek.

Mikem

Post Number: 2912
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was it an airplane or possibly a helicopter, such as an air ambulance?

Qweek

Post Number: 55
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Airplane, no doubt. We get a lot of air traffic around here, this was just out of the ordinary. When it is really cloudy the planes sound extra loud, right after this happened I let the dog out and it was crystal clear. Oh well, I have to admit I thought for a second that the invasion of Livonia had finally begun.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7135
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One can only hope, hang in there...Zulu and the boys will be at your doorstep in a jiffy to extricate you from your political bondage.

It IS political, right? I mean, you're not one of those 'lawn-lovers', forced to fake enjoying caring for a perfectly clean and green carpet of grass to appease your neighbors...when in all actuality you are merely a slave to IT, are you?! That is a different rescue priority, unfortunately.

Please forward to them your contact info, so they can put you on our do-not-bomb listing...guaranteed to keep those annoying late-night and dinnertime automated collateral-damage calls at bay. Literally.

This information will NEVER be used for any marketing or solicitation purposes...although Trainman may send you some unsolicited information regarding the sorry status of your mass transit.

Qweek

Post Number: 56
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 5:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in a tiny, old little house with a yard that has that "natural beauty" look to it. The "Weed Man" van never sprays his poison here, I promise. Should I spray paint a symbol on my roof to avoid the carnage? Maybe when it starts I could whip up a little something for the troops, some snacks & a beverage would be no problem. Enemy lines are less than a mile away, I can smell Livonia from here...smells like victory.

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 201
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in Livonia, and didn't hear it.

And my lawn has bare spots, so don't bomb me either. Let me know what I can do to aid the resistance.

Bussey

Post Number: 333
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

move to westland

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 560
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard what you described Sunday morning around 5:30/6:00. Initially I though it might be a jet fighter. When I went on my porch I concluded it probably wasn't a JF, but it certainly didn't sound like your typical airplane flying by either.

(Message edited by rjk on November 13, 2006)

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 203
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even farther from my new job in Rochester Hills, Bussey? I think I prefer to push for the part of Livonia south of 96 to secede from the north.

Schoolchildren will some day study the battles of the Merriman and Middlebelt bridges...

Mikem

Post Number: 2913
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe an old Lear or DC9, flying freight out of Willow Run or making a hop over to Detroit City.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5989
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Might have been a LJ Mike, but you can't cram a 9 into DET...

Might have been a Cargo flight coming out of YIP. If it was headed with cargo to Canada, YIP sometimes doesn't offer US Customs on the weekend, making a stop at DET or DTW nessecary.

Beadgrl
Username: Beadgrl

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laurel Park mall was doing a Veterans Day event with a Chinook helicopter. Perhaps?

What part of Farmington are you in? If its my side of town, i surprised i slept through it!

Qweek

Post Number: 59
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We saw the helicopter in the morning, very cool, but that was on Saturday. What we heard was without a doubt a jet, very low, fast and loud as hell. I live near 9 & Farmington.

Beadgrl
Username: Beadgrl

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm....i guess it didn't fly over my house. I'm at 12 & Middlebelt area.

Mikem

Post Number: 2915
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did it have a low-pitched thunderous roar, or a high-pitched, raspy fan sound?

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1327
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did it shake the pictures on the wall ? Could it drowned out your stereo when it's set at 11 ? Do you hear mortar blasts every Sunday morning ?

You Westsiders have it way too easy !

Bussey

Post Number: 334
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ours go to Eleven.

Why don't you just use ten and make ten the greatest level.?

Well ours go to Eleven...

Qweek

Post Number: 60
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was thunderous and fast. I just asked my family what they thought, large, low flying airplane...we all agree it came from the northwest, traveled southeast. When I stepped outside I could not see it in the air, but I could hear it booming along in the distance. It did not shake the pictures off the wall but it did shake the house, I honestly expected to hear the thing crash, it scared me, like hearing mortar blasts on a Sunday morn.

Bussey

Post Number: 335
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.