Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Detroit Street Signs « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Racinian
Username: Racinian

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I collect used city street signs. Does anyone know where I might be able to get a couple of Detroit used street signs? I'm looking for main streets preferably. If anyone can help or has ideas, let me know.

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 66
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can remember an old Detroit street sign in my dad's garage. I can't recall what street it was from.
The way my brothers used to do it was to get drunk and sneak around at night with some tools.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 559
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think my father still has a street sign in his garage. When I was in high school I had a party at my house and it was given to me as a gift.

Two things I remember about it is my friend showing up at my door saying, "Here, I brought you a gift, where's the beer?" And my father saying, "What the hell are we suppose to do with this?" For weeks after that my father thought the cops were going to be showing up at our front door.

I'd say you could have it (Not a Det. sign), but my father would probably think it was part of a sting operation to recover a street sign that has been missing for twenty years.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1115
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stealing street signs, great.

Sheesh.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 70
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you'd had this idea a year or two ago when they were replacing all the street signs...

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4166
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/85523.html?1161726460

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 67
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rjk, Great post.

That was many moons ago.

220hendrie1910
Username: 220hendrie1910

Post Number: 47
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams linked:

quote:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/85523.html?1161726460

That link doesn't work for me...

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 97
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is an antique mall on Plymouth Rd. in Livonia. One of the booths sells old signs. The guy who owns the booth had a job replacing the signs so he didn't steal them. I can't remember the name of the antique mall, though.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 304
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a few good ones on Plymouth rd, one is Country.....peddler? something. One's near merriman, the other around passed Levan. Also don't forget to make the rounds of the antique places in Royal Oak. Too bad when they re did the carriage house bar no one was around to get those signs they had on the walls. Wonder what happened to them?

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4468
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba would love to have some of the old names like 12th St., Myrtle, Cherry, National, Six Mile, Five Mile, James Cousins, etc.

Can you name other Detroit streets re-named?

jjaba.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 309
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was Martin Luther King Jr Blvd before? Myrtle Right?

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4470
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Myrtle, yes.

Fisher Service Drive by Comerica Park was Vernor Highway, AKA Ginger Ale Highway.

jjaba, Westsider.

Designut
Username: Designut

Post Number: 96
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cambrian -
As Jjaba stated, you're correct - Google maps actually still has it listed as Myrtle St. - sort of odd, I thought.
My 1923 map of Detroit shows that Myrtle ran from Michigan to Grand River And was interrupted at Grand River by a few oddly shaped city blocks before becoming Stimson (which ran to Woodward)

(Message edited by Designut on November 14, 2006)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.