Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Consequences of the DetroitYes War with Livonia « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3081
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anderson's 'journey' lands him in Senate
Toy voted out after 26 years in elective office
BY MATT JACHMAN AND DAVE VARGA
STAFF WRITERS

Glenn Anderson walked the Michigan Senate's 6th District for so long, he told supporters early Wednesday, he's seen the trees green up and their leaves change colors.

Those months of campaigning paid off Tuesday for the Westland Democrat, as he won a squeaky-close state Senate race against incumbent Republican Laura Toy.

Anderson, a term-limited state representative from Westland, edged Toy, of Livonia, in the district, which is made up of Livonia, Redford Township, Garden City and Westland.

"I think we have a new state senator. I guess I'm going ... ," Anderson said, pausing to acknowledge rising cheers and applause, as he announced his win just after midnight at the Quality Inn on Plymouth Road. The victory was a highlight during local Democrats' celebration of wins for their party.

"It's just been incredible. What a journey it's been," Anderson said.

Anderson, a former Westland City Council member, took just under 51 percent of the nearly 97,500 votes cast in the race, totaling 49,492 votes. Toy, who rose to prominence in Livonia city politics and has held elected office for 26 years, took 47,590 votes.

Viewed as an underdog until recently, Anderson said economic issues gave him an edge with voters. He supported the 21st Century Jobs Fund, an effort to diversify the state's economy, while Toy did not. "I knew we had to do something innovative," he said.

Toy, who called Anderson Wednesday morning to congratulate him, said she knew the election would be close. She took Livonia by a comfortable margin, but won barely one-third of the Westland vote and also lost in Garden City and Redford.

"We didn't expect to win Westland. He did very well there. I don't think it's anything we did personally, my staff or my supporters," she said by phone Wednesday.

Toy said national politics had an effect on her race.

"There was a lot of discord out there from the federal level," she said. "Instead of a person thing going on, it was a party thing."

Both candidates were the targets of negative campaign fliers and television ads. Toy said she heard complaints about what some viewed as race-baiting ads.

"So many of these things come from the state party and there's so much coming fast and furious," she said. She said she hadn't seen many of the mailers. "You don't have any control over it, so help me God."

Said Anderson of the attack tactics: "We didn't initiate that."

Anderson offered thanks to family members, campaign staff members and volunteers in brief remarks at the Quality Inn.

Later, he said the new state Legislature will focus on improving Michigan's sagging economy.

The state's Democratic governor, Jennifer Granholm, was elected to a second term Tuesday, and the party also gained a majority of seats in the state House of Representatives.

"We're going to be able to do some innovative things to turn Michigan around," Anderson said.

Toy, who co-owns Cardwell Florist in Livonia, said she plans to stay active after catching up on her rest. "There are other opportunities out there," she said.

Originally published November 9, 2006

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 344
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't know the site was at war with Livonia...

please elaborate...

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

check the HOF threads...

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 142
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So how many former Detroiters moved to Livonia to vote for Glenn Anderson??

Amy_p
Username: Amy_p

Post Number: 723
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a no-brainer vote for me after seeing an expensive, full-color, 8 x 10 piece of crap my sister got in the mail, listing Anderson's support of LGBT rights, and asking ominously: "Whose rights is Glenn Anderson fighting for?" If I'm explaining this shitty, sorry --- it was basically a huge piece of hate mail about LGBT people, and it made me sick. It made my conservative Republican sister so sick she didn't even go vote. To think of the homes that went to, and the hurt caused... Idiots. What ignorance. Go Glenn.

Amy_p
Username: Amy_p

Post Number: 724
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wilus1mj, the war had some safehouses in Livonia.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 150
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't get what this has to do with the DetroitYes "war" with Livonia? Am I missing something?

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 102
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think we're all missing something.

Sarge
Username: Sarge

Post Number: 400
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a cool thread. Check it out....

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/6790/68357.html?11417873 04

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1708
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I loved that thread!

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 259
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was a mere lurker during the war but that was an awesome thread.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 565
Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And yet, I can't help but think that if the shoe was on the other foot and it was a LivoniaYES website talking about a "war on Detroit" and throwing out some not-so-subtle jabs at the racial and class makeup of Detroit and utilizing stereotypes about Detroit, it would not have been so well-received among the members of this site. Ah, C'est la vie.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3285
Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lost amid all the uproar of the the overthrow of the Republican Congress in Washington was a nearly similar coup here in Michigan.

The State House of Representatives went Democratic for the first time in this millenium and while the Senate missed doing so by two 500 vote difference races. The Anderson upset of Toy was just one of many surprises that night.

Granholm, following her stomping of DeVos, will have a freer hand to pursue her policies. Bills that could never get to floor will now see the light of day.

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1711
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heh, heh, yes, yes, yes, Lowell, that's all good to know, but let's get back to the serious stuff.

About those livonians...

Warriorfan, I think it was pretty fair. I mean, what about this plea from alsodave?

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 817
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This poor pathetic state has signed its economic death warrant.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 748
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh please! Michigan was DOA after the "saviour" republican previous Governor drove it into the ground. While I am independent, Engler was a horrible Gov. At least Granholm has brought back a pulse; a weak one, but a pulse nonetheless.

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3084
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Toy defeat signals that we have "won the peace" in Livonia....

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that Michigan was better off during the Depression era of the 1930s than it is now. Fortunately the state has Detroit to hold it together.

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 202
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toy's anti-Anderson hate mail was the very epitome of tense suburb-city relations. Some were pretty overtly racist, I thought...one showed some black prisoners on one side, and then showed some wholesome white construction workers on the other...asked who deserved to have more job-training funding. Her whole campaign was that Glenn Anderson will support Detroit, and she doesn't think a dime of our money should go to the City. Shameful. I think that if the prisoners had better job training, they could perhaps escape the institutional life. I think the construction workers can take some classes and find a job on their own.

Disclosure - I volunteered on Anderson's campaign (and Trupiano's) in Livonia.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.