Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Mount Carmel Mercy Hospital: Who was Born There, Who Died There? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Broncobillybuttons
Username: Broncobillybuttons

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 4:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like many fine people of good taste, I was born in Mt. Carmel Hospital (just in time for the Happy Hour, 5:30 Friday, May 4th, 1951). Coast to Coast Radio host George Noory was born there eleven months earlier. Florence Ballard, true founder and leader of the Supremes, crossed over to God there. Well, I've tried and failed to get more information. Who was born there and who died there? The place was a regular railroad station, all that coming and going. I want to know about famous people--Motown artists, entertainers, athletes, whoever--and just regular schmucks (like me)! This is a history that needs to be compiled (those Carmelite nuns just about scared my poor little old Southern mama half to death, but she got over it)!

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 340
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<--- Born there 1966 (I'm a regular schumck!). I was never scared by the Carmelite nuns; in fact they helped to turn me into the complex character I am, as they also taught me grade school.

A mix if out of the box, sarcasm, willing to stick my neck out in arguments...

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 733
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Born there in 1969.

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 1955
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

born there.. had several ear operations there as well. I made the Mt. Carmel news, have the article complete with a photo of me being pushed around on a tricycle and this huge head bandage. What does all this mean? Nothing. Just fun to remember.

Craggy
Username: Craggy

Post Number: 209
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My late father was the CEO at Mt. Carmel in the 80's. Tough sledding keeping the place in the black every year. But he managed to do it, while maintaining quality care.

Broncobillybuttons
Username: Broncobillybuttons

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 3:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come to think of it, those Carmelite nuns may have had a trick or two up their sleeves in regard to me; being premature, they stuck me in an incubator and kept me for a week, so who knows. Today I may be the only life-long Protestant who can sing the Divine Mercy Rosary from memory, or draw with either hand--while blindfolded--a recognizable caricature of St. Titus Brandsma. Whoopee! As John Wesley always used to say, "Sour Godliness is the Devil's Religion", or so they taught us back in Sunday school at Greenfield Methodist (now People's U.M.). We lived across from the nunnery at Immaculate Heart of Mary (got a real good view of their long underwear on the clothesline every washday)--when I was 2 years old I would embarrass the crap out of my mother by going to the screen door when the nuns were walking by and hollering, "Look, Mommy, Witches!! Witches!!" Well. Things seem awfully tame around here by comparison, save for the occasional mountain lion or leaking hot tub. Them was the days!!

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 762
Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My sister was born there in 1971...she's still alive and is of no importance to anyone but us :-)

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3259
Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maserati Rick was executed in his bed there during the 80's...

Maryellen22471
Username: Maryellen22471

Post Number: 41
Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my aunts were born there(one died at birth) and when my grandmother had to be hospitalized she went there because her doctor was there.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4465
Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba's mother had her leg cut badly by a Northlawn bus and rushed to Mt. Carmel Hospital.
As kids, we couldn't visit so we waved to her up there through the window about the sixth floor. Dad couldn't cook so we ate a lotta cereal and hot dogs and beans.
It was about 1955.

jjaba, Proudly Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor.

Bronco Billy, welcome to Forum.

Rob__bob
Username: Rob__bob

Post Number: 55
Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

September 4, 1962

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 821
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was.

Cris
Username: Cris

Post Number: 430
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rob_bob, you and I were born on the same day, 9/4/62

My husband was born at Mt. Carmel Mercy. I, however, was born elsewhere (Hurley Hospital, Flint)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.