Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Will Detroit & Michigan get more Bacon under the Democrats? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3046
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well as it looks right now, the Dems will be controlling both houses of Congress.

And that could bode well for Detroit. 3 local politicians will become powerful chairmen in congressional committees. John Conyers, John Dingell and Carl Levin.

Although the House Judiciary Committee (Conyers) isn't exactly a "bringing home the bacon" type of committee, the same can't be said for Dingell and Levin.

I'm not sure whether Dingell will serve as head of the Energy & Commerce Sub-committee or some other committee, but his being the senior Representative in congress certainly will give him some clout, and perhaps a choice committee chairmanship. But Levin will definitely head the Senate Armed Services committee, which handles Defense contracts if I'm not mistake...

It's time they brought home some of the bacon for Michigan! Remember we're still near the bottom when it comes to return on our tax dollars.

We need to bring more jobs back to Michigan!

Yummy, I can smell the pork roast already!!! :-)

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 863
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with you, and I hope we're right. :-)

Spartacus
Username: Spartacus

Post Number: 156
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan's congressional delegations, whether they be democrats or republicans, have never been real good at bringing home the bacon. When the democrats were in charge last Dingell was head of the Energy Committee and I believe Riegle was head of the Finance and Banking committee. I think Bob Carr may have been head of the House Transportation committee (I'm not sure about that though). Michigan has been a doner state for a very long time. I suppose the poor economy and falling income in Michigan may actually make us less of a doner state.

Frenchman_in_the_d
Username: Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 98
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't eat pork even though I can smell the beef sirloin grilling already...

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2070
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm all for more cops on the street.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1699
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 368
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Wooo, Pig, Sooie!!" "Snort-snort!!"

What happened to all of the hand-wringing I used to read here about the ballooning federal deficit?

Apparently "deficit=bad" only when the Republicans are in charge.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mmmm...bacon. air freshener

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2071
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right. Because we all know how watchful of the Federal budget Bush has been. Why we've had record budget surpluses... what's that, the Republicans were spending like drunken sailors on Iraq while creating record national debt?

Under Clinton we were making significant reductions in our national debt, having record budget surpluses and significantly investing in urban areas. Let's start the count down clock for the next Democratic president: 2 years and counting (as long as our current one doesn't get impeached).

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 979
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmmm, bacon!

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 759
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't expect much to change with the shift in party power.

Michigan has been a donor state for decades, regardless of what party had the upper hand in Washington or Lansing. The racial and political division in Michigan is the real reason for our inability to bring federal tax dollars back home.

In most states and metro areas, the local leaders will work together to fight for federal funding. In Michigan, the local leaders refuse to work together for anything.

Even when the federal government tries to give us money for projects in metro Detroit, our local leaders still choose to decline the money instead of working together to make the project happen.

Michikraut
Username: Michikraut

Post Number: 196
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 5:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

aah- this "me first" attitude and disregard for the reality of budget and spending is what created part of the mess our government is in. I hope Madam Speaker and the Senate work together to get some fiscal discipline back into the federal budget- then the Dems can SUCCESSFULLY campaign over "fiscal responsibility" in 2008. A balanced federal budget is a win-win situation- less money given out for "interest" and more money for development and future costs(due to ageing population). The whole pork-barrel spending and lobbying for "perks" is what creates the climate for corruption and graft. I am glad there is more oversight coming from a mixed government but I hope the Dem.´s learned a lesson and try to clamp down on lobbyist, spending, and pork-barrel perks.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1700
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully, federal gridlock will occur. OTOH, Bush might do as Clinton's final two years and give in everywhere in an attempt to build a legacy. Then, all bets are off and spending will continue at its alarmingly high level.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10852
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with E-dawg, doesn't matter who's in control, Detroit's always got the short end of the stick.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.