Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Detroit Issues at the polls! ... ... ... argue on!!! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 240
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought that the most relevant issue for detroit at the polls (aside from getting a semi-detroit friendly governor elected again) was the eminent domain proposal... what do/did you cats think about this proposal... I was completely torn on the issue... I eventually voted "no" however it was a down-to-the-wire choice... here was my thought process:

-First, from an urban planning perspective, it is crucial for redevelopment that a city be able to repair blighted neighborhoods and bring in mixed-income and new-urban developments...

-Conversely I believe EVERY homeowner deserves the right to keep their property (look at the damage done to paradise valley, pole town, bricktown, 4th street, SW, and china town) AND i personally despise and am frightened of Maroon and his choke hold over the SW side...

weighing these two sides i eventually sided with taking the pro-detroit city government side PRAYING that they would use it wisely... avoid kicking people off their land, and use it for ABANDONED property... (though in truth this usage is, to be honest, unlikely) but it appears that the proposal passed... what do you cats think of this? let's be constructive... was this your thinking as well? did you, given this reasoning, choose the same way that I did, or did you choose differently? how will this, and other proposals affect detroit?

Argue on! - Andy

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The type of eminent domain affected by Prop. 4 is rarely, if ever, used for abandoned property. Developers want land where they think their development will succeed, i.e. areas where what is already there is succeeding. And I don't know that trusting the Detroit city government (or any government) with the power to increase its tax base at the expense of its citizens is a particularly good idea. In short, I am thrilled that Prop. 4 passed. I think it's an important step toward preventing more urban planning fiascos in Detroit and is a strike against corruption and inequality.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 241
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's why half of me was happy when it passed...

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3226
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed Andy! ^^^

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.