Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » How'd your voting go? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7078
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got in at 7:20 and was no. 22 on the roster. That's down a bit. I'm usually in the 30s.

The lady writing our names on the roll seemed to be arthritic. And a bit forgetful. She'd look at my slip, then write my name on the roll one letter at a time. J (look at slip) e (look at slip) f (look at slip)... Oh, and she was hard of hearing. The guy taking the ballot would yell over to her, "Smith, no. 22" And she'd reply, "What?" "SMITH, NO. 22!"

"Okay."

f (look at slip) r (look at slip) e (look at slip)

Not many people behind me when I left. Looks like the rain scared people off.

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 138
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was #21 right when the doors opened.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 332
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was there at 7:10 and was person #26.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2065
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I arrived about 7:30 and there were lines at all three precincts in the church gym that I vote in. After standing in line for 5-10 minutes to sign in/check in, I had to stand in line for about 10-15 minutes before a booth opened up. I left just before 8:00 and was number 32.

It doesn't seem that the rain has kept voters away. Thankfully it kept the folks with all the political flyers away from the entrance. I was grateful I didn't have to walk through the gauntlet to go vote this morning.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1091
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I forgot to go....tell you later.

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 147
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in at about 7:45ish and was number 28...everything went smoothly other than it was so hot in there i wanted to throw up.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1217
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are the crazy Grand Rapids Republicans out in force in the D yet?

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 148
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they were still sleeping bob.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 309
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was going to walk over to the polling site, but it's too nasty out...looks like I'm going to have to drive.

Does weather like this really affect the numbers, or is that just a myth?

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 447
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh no its true, especially when soemthing like this is going on with the my vote likely wont count mentality

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1682
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I arrived at about 7:40 and was number 56, much higher than usual for any election other than Presidential. Took about 20 minutes for the whole process.

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1125
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was there at 6:45, in at 7:00 and was #3 on the roster. Don't I feel special?

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 629
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reposted from another thread:

I was fifth in line at my precinct and the first to get my vote counted.

I did feel special. :-)

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 769
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got back--#145.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3200
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had a decent amount of people in the church I voted in when I got there around 8:30...

Process took me about 30 mins total after checking and rechecking my ballot...

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 1898
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Surprisingly, I was #321 in my precinct at 9 AM. Not too shabby considering that the "real" election in the District was back in September. I guess people are really passionate about school board elections this year!

Lakesuperior
Username: Lakesuperior

Post Number: 146
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was #25 in my precinct at 8:45am at Bethel Church on Warren. I was out of there in about 10 minutes-- no waiting in line.

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 110
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I voted around 9:00 am and was surprised by the crowd.
The woman in charge at my polling place definitely wasn’t having a good day. There were about six precincts voting in one room. When I casually mentioned that my precinct wasn’t among those listed outside the door, she went off on me about how there was a sign inside and that was all that the law required. I told her that was fine, I’ll just call WDIV later. That got a chuckle from the other election workers.
While I was in the “booth” casting my ballot, this same woman got into a very heated argument with one of the (I’m assuming) Republican poll watchers. I don’t know the details of their disagreement, but it ended up with her yelling “I’m asking you to leave the premises! Are you going to abide by the law or not?!”

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 620
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will be going after work today.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7008
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure the western interference brigade wasn't worried about waking up early.

Few of their targets would show before noon, and the ones that were there before office hours would undoubtedly be the smarter, savvier voters...immune to their petty bullshit.

May this election run smoothly, efficiently, and cleanly...ANY disturbance from any direction could possibly ignite something bad, being that this is probably the most important and most-watched mid-term election in our lifetimes.

Godspeed, all.

Gannon

Post Number: 7009
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah, and may the most photogenic gubernatorial candidate win.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 353
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I voted at 7:30 am, number 159.

I voted in a quaint old township hall, ala Little House on the Prarie

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 430
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Voted at 8am and was number #82

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 100
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here in farmington i was #85 at around 8 am despite there not being much of a line.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 784
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i was 121 at 10:30 in ferndale. Im creeped out at the optical scan machines, after seen HBO documentary about diebold voting system.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1452
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The optical scan machines aren't the problem - there's a paper trail with them. Some places in other states have touch screen laptops that don't produce any type of paper trail or status receipt to balance against.

I like the optical scanners.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 785
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Watch the HBO documentary there is a way to manipulate the optical scan machines. Only way is to actually do a recount with original ballots. But the way they scam it, it wouldnt show any reason to recount its very very scary stuff.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1028
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

9:15 am and was #156. It was painless.

Quinn

Post Number: 1029
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

9:15 am and was #156. It was painless.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5170
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GRANHOLM IS GOING TO WIN!!!!!!YAYYYY

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 32
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

143 at 11:30

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 117
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

#105 at 8:50am (Plymouth Township)

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 307
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like BVOS, I was pleased to see lines at Bushnell Congregational where I vote...and I too didn't miss not being inundated with pampleteers throwing slates at me. Only two people passing out material at 7:20 a.m. The rain this morning didn't seem to keep voters away.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 900
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting. Here in Nevada we have early voting as much as two weeks prior to the election date. Most folks vote in various locations all around the valley. Wife and I voted a week ago Saturday in our rec center; twenty machines and only four people in the room to vote. Election workers aplenty.

Election commission sends out large booklets to all voters a month before the election with all the candidates and issues listed inside. On the outside, by your name, is a bar code. You take that booklet to the "early voting" location and it is scanned to allow you to vote.

A super, super efficient setup. Sorry Michigan seems to be in the dark ages.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 367
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I voted #417 at 12:45 PM in my Shelby Twp. precinct.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1285
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

#278 in Mundy Twp.
Vote reader jammed, they were putting ballots in the lock box. Jammed at about 124

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 118
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I voted #80 at 8:15 am in Rochester Hills.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 648
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There appears to be a great deal of attempted voter fraud by the liberal group ACORN in several states.

Anybody seen any of that?

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 283
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

#22 @ Hazel Park High. 7:20 A. The little old lady poll workers were confused and did not know how to handle the nimrod in front of me who filled his ballot out wrong, causing the machine to reject it. Other then having to wait five minutes until they figured out how to get him off to the side so the rest of us could submit ours, it was good.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 7080
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There appears to be a great deal of attempted voter fraud by the liberal group ACORN in several states. Anybody seen any of that?

Yes. I witnessed ACORN members snatching completed ballots from elderly voters, voiding the republican candidates with Whiteout, then check the democrat candidates. It was really quite brazen.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 649
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just as I thought!

Thanks Jeff...be careful out there!

Itsjeff

Post Number: 7081
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't you worry 'bout me. If any of them ACORN thugs try and snatch MY ballot, I'll be all, "Step back, Mr. Acorn man, or I'll mace your commie ass here and now!" Then I'll mace him whether he steps back or not.

Gannon

Post Number: 7017
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

meanie

Quinn

Post Number: 1030
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a member of Acorn, and yes, Jeff, you're right. We are targeting the elderly voters in the city as well as several young, white, male voters in the suburbs. The elderly are easy...as you said we simply force the ballot from them and do as we wish.

The other target group...well...it takes a little more coaxing but you'd be surprised how easy it is once you distract them with pigeons and doves.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 902
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WTF is 'Acorn'??????

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 171
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.acorn.org/

Ptero
Username: Ptero

Post Number: 56
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At 12:45 I was #220 in my Shelby Twp precinct.

vote early, vote often...

Quinn

Post Number: 1031
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh wow...acorn actually exists. Oh, I mean of course it exists!

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 119
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.acornhole.org

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3253
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No. 371 at 4 PM in old Farmington. I did my part. All you Republicans be sure to remember that it is your turn to vote tomorrow. Don't forget. Call me if you need a ride.

Regarding the side jack on this thread... Mohammed Ali gave nicknames to his opponents. My favorite was the one he gave to the bald Ernie Shavers - the Acorn.

Kilgore_south
Username: Kilgore_south

Post Number: 201
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I voted absentee cuz I'm on the road today. I wonder if they even count those things...

Right-wingnuts bitch about ACORN every election and it always turns out to be nothing. They're just pissed because ACORN is registering poor black/hispanic folks and getting them out to vote.

Island
Username: Island

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My son (18) submitted his Voter Registration Card application , along with a friend who did the same, at a Secretary of State table set up at Wayne State 2 days before the deadline."Register To Vote Here For 2006 Election" the sign said. Got his card in the mail, went to our precinct, and neither he nor his friend were on their registration list & was told he "must have registered too late". A nice volunteer told him to come back in 2 years. Another volunteer said "there's nothing we can do, we're just volunteers." No wonder he joined SDS. How many other students got screwed by this Sec.St. process/scam? A few less Green Party votes tonight for WSU Governors...

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 97
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just got my sticker - #431 Eastside of Detroit - placed was packed and still people in line.

Gannon

Post Number: 7020
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was number 470 at my precinct at 4:00.

Took an hour standing in line...but ran into a woman I went to high school with, so the time went in a flash.

(at least for me)

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here in NM we also have early voting. Report this a.m. was that absentee and early voting was about 25% of registered voters. Depending on the turnout, that could be half of all voters.

My wife and I voted absentee this year.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 392
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at the poll by 7:30 only to be turned away by the 45 minute wait. Went back after work at 6 PM and waited for about 55 minutes. I did see 2 individuals who were refused a ballot, but in the end they were both found to be at the incorrect district.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1095
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was 350 at 3:30 p.m. in Hamtown! No problems there.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had a 55% turnout in our precinct, and that is BEFORE absentee ballots were cast. I have never seen anything like it before. Who ever heard of 80% voter turnout on a supposedly off-year?

I guess we are not as "apathetic" as the media would have us believe.

Hagglerock
Username: Hagglerock

Post Number: 337
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Absentee for me as well.

Island, that is a terrible thing that happened to your son. I don't sympathize, but can understand why people get frustrated when it comes to voting.

I on the other hand I have to give credit to my county clerk, she was able to express mail me a ballot here in Florida, after I had fell behind the power curve in registering for one.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.