Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Where's the Best place to sit and watch the TARGET FireWorks « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where's the best place to watch the fireworks in june. Excluding Windsor. Do u think the East RiverWalk will be completed by then?

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 473
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's eight months away. Do you want to be the first one there?

Pkatmsu
Username: Pkatmsu

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For sure the coolest place would be the Detroit Princess Riverboat. Last year they were parked in front of Joe Louis Arena and it was amazing. Basically right under where the fireworks were being launched.

Yes, the East Riverwalk should be complete by then.

Dpd_blue
Username: Dpd_blue

Post Number: 163
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On your television at home,until the Fireworks shooter is caught.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 306
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few years back we watched from a hotel room on the 59th floor of the Marriott Hotel. It was awesome watching them at eye level, and seeing them illuminate the skyline.

I'm going to try and pull it off again next year, but it's very tough to get a fireworks view room...big interest for corporate gatherings and such.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Depends on how much you want to spend I suppose. There are the several 'VIP' locations mentioned above and more. You can see them from pretty much anywhere, but the "best place excluding windsor" would probably have to be Hart Plaza. If you get too far up or down the river, the three lunch site on the river aren't perpendicular to your viewing so the three just sorta blend into one. Plus if the smoke from the fireworks are blowing toward where you are at, it can screen some of the display.

French777

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Ren Cen marriott is already booked for that night.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The riverwalk just to the east on the RenCen was great last year. I was right on the rail on the river, and there was the grass and benches just behind me for families and kids, etc. It was great, and right near the RenCen VIP events...

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 307
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"the Ren Cen marriott is already booked for that night."

Good to hear, as I just heard my company has booked a suite!

French777

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of hotels in DET. are booked for the 27th of June. Im staying at the Holiday inn express by the Michigan and Times square station on the People mover. Is that Hotel good.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 909
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's good, kind of a walk from most of the happenin' night spots and the poople mover

One_shot
Username: One_shot

Post Number: 300
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having done it a couple times I have to say the river. That is of course if you have access to a boat! Unobstructed views with the awesome city skyline in the backround.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1381
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the ambassador bridge would be the best place, if only it were possible...

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 380
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course, the view of the fireworks is the major concern; but, to me, the sound of the explosions reverberating off the tall buildings adds a dimension to the experience that cannot be duplicated anywhere outside of the Hart Plaza, Jefferson, lower Woodward area. Additionally, the collective experience of being part of a large, festive crowd makes the fireworks all the more exciting.

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 634
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

French...the Holiday Inn Express is great hotel for pretty good prices. It's one of the only downtown hotels that has a pool; it's the one of the only Holiday Inn Expresses that has an attached restaurant and it is two blocks from the city's center (Campus Martius Park); 2 blocks from a people mover station and one block from the famous Lafayette and American Coney Island Restaurants. As for the fireworks...tickets are available for the rooftop of the parking deck right on the water and proceeds go to the non-profit that puts on the fireworks (www.theparade.org) Besides that there are literally a hundred places...Tom's Oyster Bar deck, the riverfront, hart plaza, Currents Bar Deck, Buzz Bar's Deck, etc.
Don't worry...I'm sure you'll find a great place!

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 433
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you still park on the COBO parking deck? I heard thats a good place. Also, I hear you can camp out on the roof of the Renaissance?

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10833
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buzz Bar has a deck? Damn, always the last to know.

French777

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Harmonie wait is that like Harmonie Park?

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1879
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

French777, I can't believe you are asking this question this early. Do you have out of town guests coming around that time so you're trying to make plans now? Hey, I love your enthusiasm.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 2:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it sounds like he just booked a hotel room for the night, so its on his mind a bit earlier than most hah!

French777

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well im From ROCHESTER HILLS so yeah i had to book a Hotel but The Ren Cen and THE Milner and a lot of other hotels are booked for that night!!!!!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.