Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Best place to live in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lukabottle
Username: Lukabottle

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This maybe a redundant positing but I am relatively new. I am in the process of looking for apartments. I was living in the old Griswold lofts downtown and loved it but decided to end a relationship and move. My salary at WSU is about 450 a week and would not allow me to get one of these lofts by myself with parking, and utilities (2,000 square feet). Plus, they are in pretty rough shape. I loved the community aspect in Capitol Park but I believe it is not a safe place for me to live by myself.
I lived in Woodbridge for a few years but most those places seemed large and expensive to heat. Corktown and the Southwest side are looking like nice places to find the community aspect that I liked in Capitol Park with less of the crime.
Eastern market seems kind of pricey and I was warned to be cautious in Midtown due to roach problems, Bed Bugs, and bums. Plus, there are too many drunk, obnoxious college kids.
What are some of your stories of renting in Detroit? Where in the city are your favorite places? What are good and bad landlords and buildings?
So far it looks like Corktown is sounding the most appealing. I want to be close enough to work where I can take a bus or bikride and not deal with paying for parking everyday.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CORKTOWN is your best bet for a cheaper safe area close to WSU.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

French777's, i second that emotion.
Good thoughts, I wouldn't move to Capitol Park until the downtown Detroit bus hub is constructed and consolidates the services to Times Square. Roaches won't kill you by the way.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 65
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Corktown would be your best bet I moved there in 05 and find that there is no tighter community environment than Corktown plus its affordable which is getting harder and harder to find in the city. Plus good food, safe, and biking up trumbull to wsu or downtown down michigan and lafayette makes everything convenient. Also if the west riverfront ever takes shape it will be awesome to walk down there for a stroll. Although I still jaunt along whats completed about once or twice a month. SW Detroit is cool to especially that hubbard farms area but the lots are bigger and do not have as tight knit community as Corktown.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 334
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come to Warrendale, you can take the Warren Ave bus to work!

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 238
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a friend in capitol park, and she likes it just fine. 2,500 sq feet at ~$400 a month makes her pleased as punch... Though for my bike-loving money, nothing beats woodbridge or midtown...

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1196
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Troy, anywhere along Long Lake Road....heh.

Pmardo
Username: Pmardo

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where in SW is Hubbard Farms?

Pistonian_revolution
Username: Pistonian_revolution

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

drunk obnoxious college kids? seems like you're badmouthing midtown without ever having lived here. for the most part, its really a quiet neighborhood. you're making it sound like east lansing, for pete's sake.

while there are quite a few bums if you go further south on second street, midtown is much nicer than you make it sound, lukabottle. why dont you stop walking around with your nose in the air and try to experience midtown for once.

Hit24sqft
Username: Hit24sqft

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been away awhile - so excuse my ignorance but where exactly is Corktown ?

English
Username: English

Post Number: 515
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Four years in Detroit's Midtown was quieter than two years in Ann Arbor, for what it's worth... I'd move back in a heartbeat.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 632
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

so excuse my ignorance but where exactly is Corktown ?

http://www.modeldmedia.com/nei ghborhoods/Corktown.aspx

Username: 659

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

although midtown may not have the community of corktown, being able to walk to a few bars, a handful of restaurants, the DIA, the main library, the new MOCA, the magic stick, the dry cleaners, an art store, the grocery store (univ foods isn't amazing but it'll do for now), avalon, bookstores -- even a hardware store if you expand your mind -- i think midtown delivers more bang than corktown. however, it is probably more expensive than corktown.

and to reiterate, even though WSU is here, most undergrads don't live on campus so there are no drunk college students. i've never seen any at least. there are just grad and med students.

Pistonian_revolution
Username: Pistonian_revolution

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

theres a very small population of undergrads who live in midtown. i love it. it makes for a small
-college type feel because i know most of the undergrads who live in the area. also most of the people who live in the area are people who love detroit and who are socially conscious. so, this eliminates most of the drunk college kids/ignorant idiots. people still drink, just like everywhere else- but there are no gigantic parties and no hordes of hooligans on the street.

we're evenly divided between woodbridge, cass corridor, 4th street, and medical center (there are some non med students who live over there.)

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 126
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andylinn, that's a hell of a deal. Can I get the name of the place to research it?

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2702
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Question: Where is Hubbard Farms?
Answer: Hubbard Farms is south of Vernor, north of 175 and runs from Clark St to W. Grand Blvd.
There are lotsa good rentals there, from SW Solutions rehabbed apt. buildings (some subsidies are available, and they are converting an old crack den at Hubbard and Porter to apts. for artists...completion won't be till next year sometime though.
Aspen Realty also has some good rentals.
On the down side, there has been a spike in home/car break-ins recently, but not on the scale of the WSU area.

Pmardo
Username: Pmardo

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Barnesfoto. Any idea what kind of rents one would find for a one or two bedroom apartment/flat?

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1169
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't bitch too much. I pay $700/month in rent and usually about $100 for all utilities out here in CA. And I share the 50 year old single story 4 bedroom home with 3 other dudes. Our monthly rent for the joint is $2700. On street parking only. The place needs new bathroom tile, new carpet, and new paint. The kitchen is a small galley-type, and the counters are pink. I've been here for 2 years and consider it to be a good value, but if I wanted to live on my own in a dinky little studio I shopped and figured an average place would run me $1200/month.

I'm amazed at what my girlfriend gets in Michigan for her $300/month.....

Get a condo downtown, with a view of the river and a boat slip :-)

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

andylinn
you gotta get me that deal bro
shit at least i know who you are
ccb ring a bell???
i know your younger brother better

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 67
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

for a 1 bedroom hubbard farms 450.... for a whole 2400 sq ft victorian in ok shape about 1200 so thats the price range in that area. cool people peace activists, nice a;ternative atmosphere driving down any of the streets u can find for rent signs and check out the places.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 268
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For free you can move into an abandoned building. :-)

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 235
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andylinn - you've got a bunch of us intrigued - do share the details on how to get such a loft for such a price!

Hit24sqft
Username: Hit24sqft

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lots of good info here - thanks to everyone !

Conversely, which parts would NOT be desirable to move to/ live in ?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.