Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Road Rage: How's your driving? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are hot spots for road rage around our area; intersections and freeways where your chances of facing road rage are higher. Here are some of the worst areas:

I-696 and I-75
The mixing bowl in Southfield, where I-696, the Lodge, and Telegraph all connect.
M-59 and M-53
M-59 and Ryan
I-275 and 6 Mile.
I-275 and I-96
Grand River and 8 Mile
I-75 near the Lodge
I-375 and Jefferson
The Southfield Freeway at I-96
I-94 near US-23 and near South State.

Lt. Thad Peterson says the Michigan State Police are trying to track those road rage hot spots to find out what’s causing the aggressive driving in those areas.

(ummm, lemme guess.... people driving 60mph in the left lane maybe???)

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 407
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

-How about drivers that just dont know how to drive.

-Slow drivers.

-Speeders in some cases.

-constant lane swervers.

-road hogs

-just plain stupid people.

Fortress_warren
Username: Fortress_warren

Post Number: 111
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm on a motorcycle, I don't win many fights with cagers, well, zero fights.

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 565
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps those are points of traffic congestion or bottlenecks. Another factor is the fact that the majority of them are single-occupancy vehicles ..... thus adding to the quantity and severity of the problem.

Yvette248

Post Number: 40
Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tend to agree with your last option dtown.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 878
Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People who can't parallel park or park in a shopping mall spot because they are on their cell phone.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6974
Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most of those sites are places where there MUST be lane changes in order to continue to your exit.

The signage could be improved a half-mile ahead of the merge point, and lane striping could be heavier to help those who cannot seem to match the downward arrows on the signs to their lane.

That one lane cutoff on northbound I-275 should be removed, so those entering from 8 Mile don't have to merge if they are heading to I-696 or that Grand River freeway into Farmington Hills.

The speed limit on I-275 should be 55 during rush hour...too many people cannot perceive and process lane data at 75-80 with such a crush of cars.

State Police should do what the California Highway Patrol has done for years VERY successfully...simply cruise in traffic during rush hours at a safe speed. The more cruisers, the better...and only pull over those driving truly dangerously.

Helicopters can spot those bozos quickly, no reason why the news copters can't be paid a bit to relay the more obvious asshole drivers. Give 'em a commission off of every successful conviction.

Worst thing they can do is set up speed traps during rush hour, all that does is create horrible crash points when guilty idiots jam on their brakes...breaking the flow of traffic when nobody expects it.

BEST thing we could do? Ticket the living shit out of anyone who tailgates. Also those who refuse to yield the right-of-way...like the aforementioned left-lane bandits.

I'd advocate getting trucks to stick in the second lane or simply pulling off the highways during rush hour...or ALL of us having to drive at THEIR speed in the city.

Unless they carry gravel or trash, those cowboys seem to operate at a different level.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1335
Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about the people driving, talking on their cell phone and obviously very distracted by their conversation - going below the speed limit, suddenly changing lanes when they realize that they are at their exit, etc.

People like that will get talking on your cell outlawed while driving.

Yvette248

Post Number: 45
Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wholeheartedly Gannon. Especially the refusing to yield the right of way. On the (relatively few) times that I do feel like driving slowly, out of recognition that I am not the center of the universe, I move to the right.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.