Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Jobs in Wyoming!?! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 268
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard on my way to work this morning that the state of Wyoming has more jobs than workers to fill them and is showing up at career fairs around here to lure unemployed Auto Workers out to thier state. Any one know what types of jobs they are? I suspect they are all $8/hr service jobs. Anyone know differently?

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1321
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know a residential home remodeler that has a small crew working for him and some of them have been approached on a jobsite about jobs in Wyoming. He just told me last night about it.

So it would be carpentry type work.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2288
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you go to the Freeps website they have a listing of the jobs on the right hand side.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/frontpage

Most of the work is in the Oil and rail. They also need many infrastructure and support industries like medical and construction.

Mrjoshua
Username: Mrjoshua

Post Number: 953
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BNSF and CSX are hiring nationwide as well. Average pay is $50K annually with full medical benefits and pension. Most employees have high school diplomas, but tuition reimbursement is another perk for those who wish to go back to school.

Cambrian

Post Number: 269
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lots of decent paying skilled trades jobs too I see, would be a good fit for a laid off factory worker. Well good! At least Wyoming isn't yet trying to figure out how to make globalization work to thier advantage.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2289
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's pretty hard to outsource the drilling and the transportation of the oil that's there.

The rise in oil prices is definitely helping Wyoming and the other states with oil in the ground. With the rise in prices it makes the oil production in Wyoming profitable again.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Scottsdale PD also have recruiting ads in the bathrooms of Comerica Park

Cambrian

Post Number: 270
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about for those of us that fell into the purchase of a home trap years back when our real estate market was white hot. What if we want to relocate out west, but the prospect of a house taking a year or more to sell is an issue. After all that $17 / hour will get eaten up fast paying rent in WY plus the mortgage back here.

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2440
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the Detroit News, October 12, 2006

Mining Michigan's work force

Wyoming's pitch: 'Fresh Start'

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20061013/B IZ02/610130335/1001/BIZ

From CBS News

New Frontier Lures Detroit Autoworkers
As Employees Lose Their Jobs, Booming Energy Industry In Wyoming Calls

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories /2006/11/02/eveningnews/main21 46818.shtml

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 153
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/86126.html?1162269437

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4448
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey guys, go to AAA and ask for a Wyoming map with a city Map of Casper. It is true and making the natl. tv news.

Top ten reasons to move.

10. Wyoming snow is horizontal.
9. Try living at 7,500 ft. elevation.
8. The winds blow all the time.
7. More sheep than people.
6. 300,000 people in state.
5. Only have to worry about one University losing.
4. U. of Wyo. called Cowpokes.
3. Legit on the cowboys boots, although some dimestore cowboys.
2. Mining is as dark as a pre-Kahn factory.
1. Tons of overtime and Rocky Mountain Oysters.

jjaba on the Westside.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think the economy of michigan can get bad enough for me to move to wyoming!

Cambrian

Post Number: 272
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully the people that make that type of sacrifice will be rewarded with long term employment and no immediate down turn when new locations for NRG are brought online. Personally I decided I was better off sticking around here and finishing my degrees, rather then chasing skilled labor jobs around the country. If I wanted to make 50K / year, all I need to do is get my CDLA. Plenty of work around here for truck driver's no need to relocate for that.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4450
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jobs and eternal hope are a big draw. Las Vegas is a total uninhabitable piece of wasteland. Now there are 1.8 Million there.

Detroit, 1950 census. 1.8 Milion.

Much of Michigan and Ohio have moved there.

Youngstown had 175,000 in 1977. Today, 80,000.
Everybody's got a cousin in Las Vegas now.
Even Wal-Mart $10.11/hr. wages draw them.
Jobs and hope.

Wyoming is damn sight 100% beter than Las Vegas, unemployment and despair.

jjaba, on the Westside.

Wirt
Username: Wirt

Post Number: 34
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been out to Wyoming several times this year and hear about the Michigan recruiting all of the time.
They are still benefitting from the high energy costs and their abundance of coal natural gas and oil.
One of their biggest problem is the methionine (sp?)epidemic that is out there. Out of 100 job applicants from Wyoming, less than 10% pass the drug test. It is a huge problem. Oil wells have been shut down because of 'meth' production labs on site.

other than that, it is a pretty nice place with one big horizon and the feeling that you are literally in the middle of nowhere.

Yvette248

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't care what the numbers are. I am NOT living next door to a cow!

Cambrian

Post Number: 274
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come on, cow tipping and crystal meth does not make you wanna go out and rent the U-haul tomorrow?

Fortress_warren
Username: Fortress_warren

Post Number: 112
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cambrian, I suggested a move to Wyoming yesterday. Take the beating on the house, in the long term, it will worth it. I speak from experience.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1172
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brokeback-atcha !

Fortress_warren
Username: Fortress_warren

Post Number: 115
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 564
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This stat really shows how bad the margin is:

http://www.bls.gov/web/laulrgm a.htm

The percentage difference between #48 and #49(Metro Detroit) is huge compared to the differences among the other cities.

This region can't possibly improve without jobs, for goodness sake. The rehabs, the lofts, the condos, Superbowl, World Series ..... can't help this region if so many people are unemployed. How long can the city and state subsidize the lives of the people without jobs ? How long can the welfare system sustain itself ?

Frank_c
Username: Frank_c

Post Number: 845
Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wyoming, where the men are men and the sheep are afraid..........hehe

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 560
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

One of their biggest problem is the methionine (sp?)epidemic that is out there.

There is an amino acid epidemic? Are they not getting enough protein in their diet?

Jjaba

Post Number: 4451
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mem are men and sheep are nervous. That's how jjaba heard it.

Near Casper, (home of Dick & Lynn Cheney) they got them a horse factory. They make the fronts there. They are then shipped to Washington, DC.

U. Wyo. is the onliest Univ. in Wyo. Call them the Cowpokes.

Commute to Denver for an airport. Hell run in winter.

Live near 13,000 ft. peaks and Yellowstone Park, America's first Natl. Park. Climb Devil's
Tower.

No bagels and lox. But plenty of Rocky Mtn. Oysters. (If you have a taste for 'em.)

Ted Haggard's church renamed, Brokeback Baptist. They observe Ass Wednesday.

jjaba, Westsider.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1610
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Ted Haggard's church renamed, Brokeback Baptist. They observe Ass Wednesday.

Awful clever, jjaba!

Yvette248

Post Number: 75
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know you are going to hell for that one, don't you?

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 132
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 4:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wyoming?!?!
TEAR THAT SCHITT DOWN!

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 622
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 4:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool things in Wyoming:

http://www.nps.gov/grte

http://www.nps.gov/deto/

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 135
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 4:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ Absolutely gorgeous. And absolutely boring after you've "been there, done that" a dozen times.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.