Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Photo Du Jour - November 3 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5960
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 6:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is today's P.D.J.

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 75
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You will notice two distinct "boxes" within the building's structural steel. The lower one is the Theater/Entertainment Center space--the upper one is the Convention Hall. It's worth noting that these levels will be extended easterly across McDougall Ave where they will link to the existing builidng--essentially making the building appear like a single structure--albeit with two remaining lanes of McDougall running through the lower level.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 602
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although I support the expansion (Windsor is getting a theatre and convention centre for nothing), I did not realize that the view north from McDougall was going to be blocked. I have often noticed that when you stand five blocks or so south of the river looking north that you experience an optical illusion where you cannot see the river and the Ren Cen appears to be part of Windsor.

I think that will be gone.

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 76
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Upinottawa--you are correct--that view will change. The full width of McDougall at street level will remain open--two lanes (one north, one south) for traffic--and three lanes for the Hotel Tower and Valet. Above street level the entire "lower box" of the complex--the Entertainment Center and Convention space will extent out across McDougall for almost the entire block between Chatham and Pitt.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.