Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Angels' Night Turns Hellish « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2044
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know about any of the other neighborhoods, but in Warrendale there were numerous incidents of teenagers targeting the volunteer patrol cars; throw eggs and insults at them.

The most discouraging part of it though, is how DPD reacted to it - hanging up on volunteers who called in to report it; refusing to take a report at the station.

I'm wondering: has this happened anywhere else in the city? Or is this just an isolated incident?

http://warrendale.blogspot.com /2006/11/angels-night-turns-he llish.html

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 794
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's just disgusting. :-(

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3117
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well it didnt happen at the Six Mile/ Meyers area where I was volunteering with my frat brothers. There were no reports of negative incidents there.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10814
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suggest arming the people doing patrols next year. Load their guns with blanks, fire off a few rounds at the kids. They'll piss themselves as they haul ass home. Problem solved. :-)

FYI, we seemed to have a group of teens up to no good. All probably around 16 or so, wandering the neighborhood all night. As sirens from DPD spuratically went off, some would haul ass, to which one teen said "Nigga, you go runnin' and they gonna know yer ass is doin' somethin' wrong!" I saw the same group throw something either at a car at the gas station or at the building itself, upon which they hauled ass. Saw a few busted pumpkins last night, but that was the worst of the damage that I saw. Typicaly Halloween "pranks" that you would see in most any neighborhood across metro Detroit.

Seriously man, you don't think the DPD is gonna take the time to file a report over some mouthy kids throwing eggs do you? It likely will cost the city some volunteers next year, but I don't see the DPD changing their stance on this one.

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1000
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Supersport

I suggest arming the people doing patrols next year. Load their guns with blanks, fire off a few rounds at the kids. They'll piss themselves as they haul ass home.

Hell, the kids might return fire and with better weapons to boot.

(Message edited by toolbox on November 01, 2006)

Fnemecek

Post Number: 2045
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Teenagers returning fire is definitely something to worry about.

The one thing that I have to give our volunteers credit for is the fact that, after this happened on Monday, everyone of them was back for more on Tuesday.

Even the 80-year old amputee.

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 92
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know the count of fires this year? How many fires did we have at our worst times? Compared to the recent years?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6954
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, he had less to lose.

YOU brought him up, F. Couldn't resist.

Kudos to all for their efforts, caught the Drudge Report trying to dredge up some dirt on Devil's Night fires, best they could do is include Detroit in their story on sixteen fires in one night in Saginaw.

I cannot find it in their archives now, but it was there. I had to laugh, because sixteen fires in one night is a banner night in Detroit.

I believe the average number is above 150 per night, I remember when getting it down to 200 per was a good thing. The Japanese news crews only came when it was near 600.

Gannon

Post Number: 6955
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is that story, slightly rewritten and without Detroit in its headline any longer.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 869
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Stylin.. what frat?

GOMAB

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3119
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

G Phi G Vision...

Groove Phi Groove SFI...

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 909
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reetz12:

quote:

Does anyone know the count of fires this year?

I saw a story in the Detroit News that claimed it was less than last year, continuing the downward trend.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this thread title of "Hellish" is a bit of an overstatement

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 145
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sheriff Evans and Art Blackwell said Highland Park was as quiet as can be.

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 870
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

stylin.. hit me up kevin at crushmediagroup dot com

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 367
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"this thread title of "Hellish" is a bit of an overstatement"

gotta agree on that one...things could have been far worse, like the melee that took place last night in san fran. http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/arti cle.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/11/01/BAGF 0M3UOQ5.DTL

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 590
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We can now say with "absolute certainty" that you are more likely to be shot on Halloween in San Francisco than in Detroit.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3127
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow and virtually no national coverage of Angel's Night.... at least not on the level of what they would have given Devil's Night...

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 872
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stylin'..... I guess the thought about not covering it is... why cover what they should have been doing all along?

But they should do a compare and contrast from years past and present to show how things have improved

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3128
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly Vision as well as let the people of the nation know that people in the D actually give a damn about the city and the silly ass Devil's Night comments can finally subside.

It's a damn shame how as effective as this initiative has been it has not been brought to national (and international like Devil's Night did) attention, and possibly being used as a model for other locales that may experience a similar phenomena...

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 397
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:
Kudos to all for their efforts, caught the Drudge Report trying to dredge up some dirt on Devil's Night fires, best they could do is include Detroit in their story on sixteen fires in one night in Saginaw
______________________________ ___________________

You have to love how Matt Drudge is now crying in his corn flakes!

Too bad Detroit has once again put 1984 behind her, all the poor naysayers are looking for some other story about "liberal failiers".

Detroitej72...proudly drinking his OWN kool-aid, not some right or left wing pundant's!

(Message edited by detroitej72 on November 01, 2006)

(Message edited by detroitej72 on November 01, 2006)

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3212
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More Kudos to all the thousands Angels on Angel's Night. The good folk are winning.

Keep making a difference!

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 856
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 4:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Throwing eggs and heckling - Hellish???

Where is the National Guard when you need them?

later - naturalsister

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3058
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dstylin and Visiondetroit

"Pass the Old Gold!"

LL Cool J

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1120
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe all those kids were just trying to target you, Fnemecek. :-)

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 317
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm my area was East Warrendale (Joy to Paul, and Southfield to Greenfield). I had no incidents like that. I did see some kids walking to the party store shined a light on them and joked hey kids ya want me to take ya to jail? We all laughed.

F - btw, just E of the bew Superbowl legacy site are a whole slew of new homes being built on Tireman and on the streets just N of Tireman and W of Greenfield. Lots of great new urbanist type infil in Warrendale!

I did not know about that, I was patrolling with someone high up in the planning dept who was dumbfounded by the homes there too, as it is not in the empowerment zone.

Gannon

Post Number: 6957
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess my numbers were aggregate for the entire three-day holiday.

WDET reported this morning that the average number of fires is around 40 per night...and with all the volunteers driving around, the Angel's Night totals have been less than that for the past few years.

Cheers to the volunteers, holding back destruction, death, and darkness!!

Fnemecek

Post Number: 2046
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

this thread title of "Hellish" is a bit of an overstatement

I thought the contrast between "Angels' Night" and "Hellish" was amusing. It works for me.

quote:

Where is the National Guard when you need them?

Okay - I make a comedic overstatement and you respond with an overstatement. Sounds fair.

Frankly, I'm more annoyed at how DPD blew everybody off than anything else. Angels' Night is only a 3 day thing. The Warrendale Community Organization and Radio Patrol each need to recruit volunteers for the other 362 nights.

The conduct of DPD officers on Monday makes doing that a lot harder now.

quote:

Maybe all those kids were just trying to target you, Fnemecek.

Considering how many people I've pissed off for one reason or another, that's always a possibility.

But if they were really targeting me, I think they would have screamed, "Quit bitching about the Madison-Lenox" or something like that.

Besides, when I went in to volunteer, I was told by a DPD officer that my neighborhood wasn't a priority and they'd prefer it if I patrolled out near Green Lawn Cemetary instead. I did and had a very uneventful pair of evenings.

quote:

F - btw, just E of the bew Superbowl legacy site are a whole slew of new homes being built on Tireman and on the streets just N of Tireman and W of Greenfield. Lots of great new urbanist type infil in Warrendale!

I did not know about that, I was patrolling with someone high up in the planning dept who was dumbfounded by the homes there too, as it is not in the empowerment zone.

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.

(Message edited by fnemecek on November 02, 2006)

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1165
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would be wonderful if the type of effort put out for the few days around Halloween was done 365 days a year. What a difference!

I must give props to the city and the residents and volunteers. This program has been a HUGE success and really turned what was something awful into a wonderful positive for the city. Very very impressed.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 618
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On Devil's Night in the Vernor/Junction area, at 7:00 PM, two walking teenagers shot up a parked car on a residential side-street. Pretty large-caliber weapon. Police arrived and took a report and told the car-owners that they could pick it up at the station later. End of story, end of investigation! Walking teen-agers, 7:00 in the evening - good neighborhood until now. But no police follow-up! Amazing. What might the future hold when there is so little fear of the law?

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, the only "hellish" fires this year were in the outlying areas. Between the fires in Saginaw, kids burning down Dondero High School in Royal Oak, and the fatal fire in Madison Heights, maybe we should start bashing the suburbs???

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5150
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Yvette248,

If those arsonists can't burn Detroit down. Then they would go the suburbs and burn the houses down.

(Message edited by danny on November 02, 2006)

Danny

Post Number: 5151
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All of you remember that When Devil's Night was in full swing in Detroit ghettohoods in 1983 under the Coleman Young Administration, there were over 803 arson house fires. It's was like the repeat of the 67 all over again. Now since former mayor Dennis Archer increase patrols all over the streets soon most arson fires are reduced na juvenile delinquents are put away behind bars for breaking curfew.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1226
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

kids burning down Dondero High School in Royal Oak

I dunno, it looked like Dondero was still standing to me...

Fjw718
Username: Fjw718

Post Number: 83
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blog entry is deleted, wonder why?????????

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

angels night needs to be scaled back
not eliminated
but scaled back
we don't want another '96
but scale that shit back

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1682
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Well it didnt happen at the Six Mile/ Meyers area where I was volunteering with my frat brothers. There were no reports of negative incidents there.

We were driving through that area during a break in our patrol and my car was egged. Just a couple blocks from 6 Mile / Meyers.

Yvette248

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dondero fire causes hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage

ROYAL OAK -- A Tuesday arson fire at Dondero High School caused hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage.

The 3 a.m. blaze started in the gym and so badly damaged the area that the basketball court floor had to be ripped up and the upper portion of the southern wall will have to be significantly repaired if not outright replaced, said Royal Oak Superintendent Thomas Moline.

"It is a shame," Police Chief Quisenberry said. "I do not know why they did something like this."

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1683
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

angels night needs to be scaled back
not eliminated
but scaled back
we don't want another '96
but scale that shit back

Why???

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 918
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit News reports the number of arsons this year were 8% fewer than last year.

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1228
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yvette, the gym was damaged but the building is still standing.

In fact, only one wall of the gym was so badly damaged that it will have to be torn down.

I wouldn't necessarily call that "burned down"

But you can rail against the suburbs all you like, it certainly helps the city, doesn't it?

Danny

Post Number: 5157
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yvette248,

After that Fire at Dondero High School. Our generation of kids and teens going through that hormonal hiccup, growing up too fast, and getting advice from Hip Hop and sex genre.

Danny

Post Number: 5158
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 2 kids who burned the gymnasium part of Dondero High are now in police custody until further notice. Folks these days don't even give a care about education.

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1229
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, because there sure is a lot of education going on at Dondero nowadays...

Fnemecek

Post Number: 2047
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Blog entry is deleted, wonder why?????????

I took it off-line for awhile at the request of the patrollers. They were meeting with various command officers within DPD and felt it would be better that way.

The post is back on-line now. More news should follow early next week.

Detrola
Username: Detrola

Post Number: 33
Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 7:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We should be happy there was no national press coverage of angel's night. Do we really want the rest of the nation to know the shameful truth, that it takes 60 thousand volunteers to keep the city from burning itself to the ground? This is not something to take pride in.

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 3783
Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Lowel, basically; the "good folks" never lost!! The majority of those "so-called" Devil's Night fires (in the 80s & early 90s) were proven to have started by real estate development companies, not Detroit residents; with most of them set in the areas surrounding the State Fairgrounds and around the Van Dyke-City Airport area, in addition to the lower East Side. All areas that had been targeted for "redevelopment" by outsiders!!!

So, go figure on a real racist myth!!

Black-atcha ..... watching the perpetuation of bullschitt

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 3981
Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was proof Rasputin? Not saying there wasn't any but if what you say is true, where were any of the arrests? I always thought the real tragedy of the Devils' Night fires were that most of the arsonists went unpunished.

Danny

Post Number: 5164
Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rasputin,

That is some good proof on the Devil's Night/ real estate scandal. Ze'ev Charfet's argument of Devil's Night proves it, too. It's NOT absolute true, but from a he said she said comment.

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked two of the three Angels Night shifts and we were humping. I saw no shortage of arson fires. And the arsonists seemed more competent than usual -- nice big blazes.

Yvette248

Post Number: 57
Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, I never heard that before, but it makes perfect sense. If you can't sell the house at a profit, just torch it and collect the insurance money.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 3983
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 3:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yvette248, in a way that makes sense to me too. But again, that's our devious little minds thinking that's genius. My concern is can we actually prove the landlords did that to collect though?? Or even if we caught an arsonist or two- can we link them back to the landlord somehow??

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 5:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Messykitty ... definition of the verb hump from Merriam-Webster Online: (I'll give you a hint, we weren't copulating.)

hump
Main Entry: 2hump
Function: verb
transitive verb
1 often vulgar : to copulate with
2 : to exert (oneself) vigorously
3 : to make humpbacked : HUNCH
4 chiefly British : to put or carry on the back : LUG; also : TRANSPORT
intransitive verb
1 : to exert oneself : HUSTLE
2 : to move swiftly : RACE

Fnemecek

Post Number: 2051
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for doing a kick ass job, Ffdfd.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Down here in Charlotte, NC the only Halloween news to make it here out of the D (national?) was the MOCAD stunt of the person spray painting the side of their building. The local newscasters down here thought that that was a pretty creative stunt.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.