Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Anyone know of a magician Whodini? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I'm not talking about Harry Houdini who died in Detroit. But there was a kids TV show magician who wore a colorful and sparkly turban and usually called up his puppet snake from a basket on his magician's table. I used to watch him during the early/mid 70's. I remember him visiting Wonderland Mall and hundreds of kids showed up to see him. If I remember correctly, his name, was an obvious take-off of Houdini's name and started with a "W" so I suppose it's Whodini. I cannot find him in any of the Detroit links nor in searching the Detroityes website. Any info appreciated.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 606
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think he was on the Bozo show.

Catman_dude

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He could have started on Bozo's show but I remember him having his own show.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4058
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paging Ed_Golick

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 312
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes it was Mr Whodini from Bozo.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 466
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Whoodini, played by Larry Thompson, was on CKLW"s Bozo show, plus he had his own show, "Funtime Magic Shop." Thompson owns a company that provides creative school assemblies to area schools.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 606
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2887
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the freaks come out at night

(Message edited by rustic on November 01, 2006)

Iseries840
Username: Iseries840

Post Number: 270
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Friends
How many of us have them?
Friends
Ones we can depend on
Friends
Friends
Before we go any further, lets be
Friends*

Is a word we use everyday
Most the time we use it in the wrong way
Now you can look the word up, again and again
But the dictionary doesnt know the meaning of friends

And if you ask me, you know, I couldnt be much help
Because A friend is somebody you judge for yourself
Some are ok, and they treat you real cool
But some mistake kindness for bein a fool

We like to be with some, because they're funny
Others come around when they need some money
Some you grew up with, around the way
And you're still real close too this very day

Homeboys through the Summer, Winter, Spring and Fall
And then there's some we wish we never knew at all
And this list goes on, again and again
But these are the people that we call friends

When we first went out together, we barely knew each other
We had no intentions, on becoming lovers
But in no time at all, you became my girl
Me and you, one on one, against the world
Talkin on the telephone for hours at a time
Or else I was at your house, or you was at mine
Then came the arguements and all kinds of problems
Besides making love, we had nothing in common
It couldnt last long because it started out strong
But I guess we went about the whole thing wrong
Cause out of nowhere it just came to an end
Because we became lovers before we were friends

*Friends
Friends
Ones we can depend on
Friends
Friends
Before we go any further, let's be
Friends*

You say you and your girlfriend were so tight
You took her out with you and your guy one night
She even had a set of keys to your home
And you shared mostly everything you owned

But as she shook your hand, she stole your man
And it was done so swift, it had to be a plan
Couldn't trust her with cheese, let alone your keys
With friends like that you dont need enemies

You wonder how long it was all going on
And your still not sure if your man is gone
You say, well if she took him he was never mine
But deep inside you know thats just another lie

And now you're kinda cold to the people you meet
Cause of something that was done to you by some creep
But nevertheless, I'll say it again
That these are the people that we call friends

*Friends
Friends
Friends*

*Friends
Friends
One's we can depend on
Friends
Friends
Friends*

*Friends
Friends
One's we can depend on
Friends
Friends
Friends*

Catman_dude

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Taking a clue that the name includes TWO "o"'s, as Whoodini, then I was able to come up with this article at: http://www.mobileedproductions .com/articles/newsarticle13104 .htm

[quote]Considering his background as a magician, it seems only natural that Thompson would turn nothing into something.

Not only has Thompson, 61, been a teacher, a TV performer and a magician, he was all three at the same time. "I have," he says, "no problem working."

Thompson taught junior high and high school in Livonia, eventually becoming the director of student activities for the district. He retired in 1990. Early in his teaching career, Thompson was also a performer on kids' TV shows. A magician, he had his own show, "Magic Shop," for two years, ("around 1965 and '66," he says) on what was then CKLW-TV, Channel 9 in Windsor.

The station also produced the area's Bozo the Clown show, and eventually it combined Thompson's show with Bozo's. "I side kicked for nice years" as Mr. Whoodini on "Bozo's Big Top." During the show's final two years, it aired on Detroit's Channel 2 and was syndicated in other markets.

All the while he was teaching industrial arts and drafting in Livonia and doing magic shows on weekends.

"Then when the TV thing dried up, I started Mobile Ed," Thompson says. Having sat through enough school assembly programs that were less than scintillating, he swore he wouldn't repeat their mistakes. "Making education fun is a priority," Thompson says. His company's slogan is "Education Through Entertainment."[/quote]

Thanks, everyone. Ed, is there a blurb or anything re: Mr. Whoodini on your Detroit kids TV shows website?

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3054
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL at Genesyxx, Rustic and Iseries840 !!!

"Some say its art, some say its a shame....."

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3055
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL at Genesyxx, Rustic and Iseries840 !!!

"Some say its an art, some say its a shame....."

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3116
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*Funky Beat...Funky Beat...Funky Beat....*

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 116
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was on the Bozo show when I was a kid. I won the treasure chest. Anyone here know how I might obtain a video of that show I was on? I remember we drove to Canada for the taping.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 467
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spacemonkey,
The Bozo shows don't exist. Art Cervi, Detroit's best Bozo (and, in my opinion, the best in the country), has a handful of shows on 2" Quad tape. That's all that exist. CKLW recycled the tapes until they wore out, then they were tossed.

Cartman_dude,
Nothing yet on my website on Bozo or Mr. Whoodini, but they will eventually be covered.

For the holidays I will be posting some amazing footage of Detroit's favorite TV Captain on a tour of Downtown Detroit's favorite department store.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.