Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Fighting parking tickets in detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fleamarket
Username: Fleamarket

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I received a parking ticket from a new meter yesterday. Clearly I checked & double checked, my time EXPIRE 2:01pm to my watch. It was across from Compuware, and upon returning 1:59pm , I found I received a ticket at 13:29, or 1:29pm.

I plan on calling the city, yet, anyone try to fight a parking ticket? The city should be paved in gold with all the tickets......

Thegse
Username: Thegse

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you can pay it online now....good luck at the 36th.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1828
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With the new computerized system there is a chance they would actually have records showing that you paid until 2:01pm and can compare them against the ticket time. This is all new so I doubt there are many people who have experience fighting these kinds of tickets yet.

Personally, I just pay the ticket right away so it's cheaper and cut my losses.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1163
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good luck.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6953
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You will have a better chance if you can prove someone didn't change their clocks for daylight savings time. They might've thought it was two-thirty instead of one...

But IF you have a ticket that shows you paid for that time, it should be a no-brainer. You must appear before a judge, though, to get it dismissed...magistrates usually don't wield that power.

If you are before a magistrate, simply politely ask if they have the power to dismiss a ticket, and if not, demand an appearance before a judge. They won't like it, but it is your right.

Had a similar problem with a moving violation WAY up in Clarkston a number of years ago...everyone was getting socked with some lesser offense and I wouldn't stand for it, the ticket was illegal and should've been dismissed...as it was when I finally met a real judge with power.

Cheers!

Please let us know how it works out, this is our first e-test of the new system...glad to have a guinea pig!

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1296
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have fought 2 tix and lost both times. Once, I parked and put plenty of time on the meter, after I left, someone came buy and put a temporary sign on the meter- you know the paper kind (no parking between 10 and 2 Today only). I parked around 9:30 and there was no temporary sign. I came back around 11:00 and had a ticket. Fought it and lost. No way I could have seen that temporary sign, meter had time on it, I was screwed.

I just pay them now

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 137
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I fought the law and the law won.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1299
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EXACTLY

Innercitydoc
Username: Innercitydoc

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The judge I went before dismissed both of the parking tickets i got on a day when I could prove that my car was disabled. However, the judge dismissed people's tickets that day as long as they were convincing and professional, especially if they were not habitual offenders. You can give it a shot but its a long and tedious process. And the hearings aren't held at 36th district but at 1600 Lafayette unless things have changed

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 255
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I fought a parking ticket I received on Atwater next to the parking structure just west of the Ren Cen and just east of the Hart Plaza mini station. People park there all the time. It is NOT posted for no parking. But they write tickets anyway. I took pictures a few days later, showing it was nowhere posted for "no parking."

I did not have the time to show up in court so I tried something. You can admit responsibility "with explanation." I did not want to admit anything. I did not ask for a hearing. I think I checked the admit responsibility with explanation box, but in the explanation I denied responsibility and explained why. I attached the pictures. I did not send any money.

A few months later I got a letter stating the ticket had been dismissed.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1149
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you sure you did not exceed the maximum park time ? Its different depending where you park. You can pump 5 hours worth of money in a meter, but if you are only allowed 30 minutes, or an hour etc. they got ya.

I got a ticket once for being literally a couple inches too far forward.

Just pay it fast - its cheaper that way.

Lakesuperior
Username: Lakesuperior

Post Number: 144
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i've fought tickets- and won. it's kind of a pain in the ass, but so is paying for tickets that you don't deserve. the two pluses of going over to lafayette to plead your case?

1. you get to hear other people plead their cases- or completely incriminate themselves, as the case may be. hilarious.

2. the awesome breakfast place across the street! the name escapes me at the moment...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.