Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Location of old Bower Roller Bearing Factory? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Polaar
Username: Polaar

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could anyone tell me where the Bower Roller Bearing factory stood in Detroit? It later changed its name to Federal Mogul. Any chance the bldg is still standing?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Golly, good luck with this. I lived in the D for a decade and went to architecture school there. I like to think that I know a majority of the Detroit architecture/history. Unfortunately, I hadn't even heard of this factory. However, if you were to learn anything about it, this forum is the best place to start. Sooner or later the right person will get ahold of your thread...

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 136
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/6790/41498.html?11126387 39

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 297
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

try looking in the "Old Car Factories" thread

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1695

Check out page 5 of the OCF thread in the HOF section, which has a photo and Sanborn map of the Federal Mogul factory on Shoemaker and St. Jean. I don't have any listing for Bower Roller Bearing in the db. Any info on them, or where you got the name from.

I've also got a notation about Muzzy-Lyon, 56-58 Woodward, 4809 John R. St under Fed-Mogul in the OCF db. Probably other companies that were incorporated into it, and those locations, but don't recall it offhand.

Threeway simulpost

(Message edited by Hornwrecker on October 31, 2006)

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 398
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Bower Roller Bearing Factory I know of was on the north side of Mack between St. Jean and Detroit Terminal Railroad Tracks with Connor the next main north-south street. It has been replaced by the Daimler-Chrysler engine plant.

Bob Cosgrove

Polaar
Username: Polaar

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks to all for the ideas so far. One of my grandfathers worked there from the 40s to the 60s. I found a 1968 wage & tax statement that lists the address of the company as "Bower Roller Bearing Corporation, 3040 Hart Ave, Detroit MI 48214." Could this address be the plant as well? Hornwrecker, please explain what "OCF" and "HOF" mean so I can find the threads.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1665
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the Forum, Polaar!!

OCF=Old Car Factories thread (found within Discuss Detroit)
HOF=Hall of Fame Threads

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1696
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops, I tend to forget and use abbreviations when writing about factories. Thanks, K.

Looking at a map, it appears that 3040 Hart is just north of Charlevoix, near the old Detroit Terminal tracks. I'll have to look at the Sanborn maps to see if it is on them. If I find it, I'll post it in the OCF thread.

HOF also used to mean Hall of Fame Theads :-)

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2897
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, they were located on Hart, between Goethe and Charlevoix. Hart Avenue in that vicinity is now gone, and the location would place it on the grounds of the Chrysler Jefferson plant. All I can add is that the factory was located there prior to 1925, and remained open after the merger with Federal-Mogul, becoming the "Bower Division".

The information I have says the plant was closed in 1971.

(Message edited by MikeM on November 01, 2006)

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 688
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker--you military guys always communicate in TLAs

(Three Letter Acronyms)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.