Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Photo Du Jour - October 30 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5944
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 6:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is today's P.D.J.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8938
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AIW, do you really think the city cares if their (our) buildings or monuments are architecturally pleasing? I sometimes think that the shittier they look the more they get off on it.

I had noticed those the other day and was going to call you to let you know about them. But it looks like you beat me to it.
It's too bad that they took that building down. I wouldn't have minded that one staying up on the riverfront.

Thanks for sharing the demo picture. I hadn't seen that one before.

On a side note, the city as of last week started doing more construction on the crappy bus station they decided to put in the urban village. Yay for the idiots on Council! Yay for the moron city planners. as well!

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3187
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That first picture you show looks like they were excavating a mass grave site. LOL, I guess it was the grave site of an old building. Do you have a picture of that "peace beacon" that you 'like' so much?

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 593
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, I don't know if the following is up to date, but here is the proposal:

http://www.citywindsor.ca/0008 10.asp?id=2273

Andrew, remember that a turd is better than perpetual constipation....

Blitz
Username: Blitz

Post Number: 208
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you guys saying you actually like the Guest House? I'm glad to see that parking lot go and the Guest House did nothing but get in the way of the view.

Aiw

Post Number: 5949
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the peace beacon, directly from the Architect's proposal.

pb1

pb2

pb3

pb4

Aiw

Post Number: 5950
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blitz, personally I prefer the Cleary Guest House.

Windsor just keeps on demolishing anything that has/or could have any architectural/historical merit.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2055
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So that's supposed to represent peace huh...

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 595
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$50 says they find Jimmy Hoffa under there....

Blitz

Post Number: 209
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeez if some of you had your way, Windsor would never build anything new. I'm for preserving historic buildings as well but not every single structure can or should be saved.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1568
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The first pic does look like a mafia style burial site. Cement graves ...

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4438
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was that $50 Canadian or real money? LOL.

Easy, Andrew and Goat, maybe it will turn out ok. Peace Beacons are a good thing. Martha Stewart told me so and Oprah says so. So it's truth.

jjaba.

220hendrie1910
Username: 220hendrie1910

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please, someone tell Jjaba that the C$ is worth almost 90 U.S. cents.

Getting tired of this in Ottawa.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 881
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba fans know Jjaba loves Canada. :-)

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8941
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blitz, the problem is that the city has demolished almost all of the historic buildings that it had. That is why we are so adamant that they keep the few remaining ones. Why don't they level some of the crap from the '70s?

Blitz

Post Number: 210
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know Windsor has a terrible track record of demolishing historic buildings but I just don't see the value in keeping the guest house. The more they improve the riverfront, the more of an eyesore it becomes.

Aiw

Post Number: 5955
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your opinion of the guest house is the same opinion many had of the architecture that is now demolished.

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 304
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They could have saved the great old facade and built a modern building into it. I like the new building though. Oh well, too late now.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.