Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Calling all Catholic's, from all over Detroit... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 393
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 1:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's share some stoies about our Catholic faith, from our church's memroiur's... I'll start the post.
______________________________ ___________________
I was baptised at St. Thomas the Apostale's Catholic Church, on Townsand & Baldwin Near Harper and Van Dyke, where me mum was baptised, and made her First Holy Communion. My parent's were married, and I was baptised here.

______________________________ ___________________

St. Thomas was closed down in 1989, and subsiquently torn down. Today there is a vacent lot where said church once stood. HOWEVERE, The first building that was the first church is still standing, abiout abandntt....

Anyone Have Menories of Closed Catholic Churches?

Detroitej72

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 594
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 6:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.apostropheabuse.org /

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 464
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 7:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pam,
Your going to hell.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7043
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going with her. The mis-used apostrophes were the first thing I noticed.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 881
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was baptized at St. Jude which is not closed but seems to be on the verge. Catholicism is evil, we had to do catechism every saturday for a month for the whole day. I'd say my church St. Paul of Taursus in Clinton Twp helped me in despising religion.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1855
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This will surely go down as one of the most misguided threads ever.........how the hell(hell-ha-ha) is anyone expected to gather up memories of their "catholic faith"?

Here is mine and mind you it has little to do with catholicism: My Dad and all 8 of his bros and sisters attended St. Thomas in Ann Arbor. My sister was the only child in my family to graduate from St Thomas.My brothers and sisters and I all ended up at public schools.In my siblings case they had to be g my parents to go public.But my parents pulled me out because my 1st grade class at st Thomas had over 60 children.

Now here are my memories as a child: I would wait and wait and wait for the priest to say ..Go now and peace be with you"... and the congregation would respond ...." and peace be with you" and that meant we could finally leave.I also remember the style and tone of priests in the early to mid 60's.

And of course the KofC or Knights of Columbus which was fundamentally a club where the men drank a lot.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1058
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We scratched our names into the tables and played hang man during my days in catechism. Not particularly useful for everyday life. Every once in a while we would get a worksheet to fill out. It was always in our workbook, with the answers on the bottom of the page or the back of the page. The answers were always one of the following:

-Love
-Jesus
-God's Love
-Justice
-Peace

The one thing I did take from 8 years of catechism is a neat way to point out hypocrisy. In 'The Lord's Prayer," (note the apostrophe) it says, "Forgive us our trespasses, AS WE FORGIVE THOSE WHO TRESPASS AGAINST US." One of my teachers suggested that we would only be forgiven for our sins, if we forgave those who wronged us. I always liked that.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 191
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:
------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
Pam,
Your going to hell.
------------------------------ --
Sorry---You're going to Hell and that is with an apostrophe.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 465
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjw,
Do you get the irony? Pam was complaining about Detroitej72's use of apostrophes. So in my post I purposely used a word that needed an apostrophe, but left it out. Once again, too hip for the room.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 682
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed--I got it.

go say two "hail Marys" and two "our fathers"

absolutely monotone, devoid of passion or understanding

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 145
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My brother used to sing along with the Priest...when you were not supposed to be. My mom often had to pinch us/and or beat us with the hymnals. Once we all put the kneeler down on my brothers foot and well kneeled and he screamed so loud everyone stopped and stared at us.
This all happened at St.Matthew at Harper and Whittier.
Oh and I am Agnostic and my brother Atheist.
Beautiful Church I recommend you check out the mosaic in the domed part.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3008
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since this thread was starting to get ugly.... I think I'll go off on a tangent....

I was born in Germany, (came to USA at age 4).... my father was Roman Catholic, and my mother was Lutheran. So in sort of an ironic compromise... I was baptised in a 900 year old abbey that was (Cistercian Monastery) Roman Catholic from 1108 until about 1527 (400 years) and Lutheran since 1527 (about 500 years). So I feel myself to be somewhat torn between the two. Baptised a Lutheran, I do have some allegiance (from a successor of St. Peter sort of way) to the Pope in Rome, but don't care for all the "trappings" of the Roman Catholic faith.

On the other hand, with a minor in history in college, I have studied the history of religion (it's hard not to include religion in the history of Europe). And the executioner and theologian were often one and the same.

Interestingly enough German Catholics and Lutherans do get along quite well. Little animosity there.

In the past Catholic and Lutheran Germans bled each other white... in a war that was worse for Germans that both World War I and World War II combined. That was the religious 30 Years War of 1618-1648, which ended up killing nearly half of the German population, either by violence, or famine.

OK, threadjacking over, now get back to your flaming war of religion....

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1130
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 5:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when i was a little mauser, we had these childrens books "Golden" I think was what they were called. All different stories - anyway we had one that told the story of Jesus. That book used to scare the b'jesus out of me ! I would glance through it and then turn to the last page where he gets crucified and just scream like it was a horror movie. I would take it out and look at it occationally just to freak myself out. What a horrible image to show to children.

Id go to grandmothers house and thered be Jesus hanging on crosses all over the house - oh my !

Same at church (st peters on Vernier back then) crucified Jesi everywhere. Man...

By the time I was about 6 I was so tired of getting terrified by these images they started to anger me. Took years to get over that, but I still cant stand "decorative" crucifixes.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8937
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mauser, the Crucifixion is supposed to be a beautiful action in a horrendous setting. It is not intended to scare or shock anyone. Your priest should have explained this to you and the other kids relatively easy.
Consider that Jesus knew what was to come but still followed through for us all is the act of absolute love. That is why some crucifixes are decorative. Look at it in that light and you may not be angry about it anymore.

(Message edited by GOAT on October 30, 2006)

Pam

Post Number: 595
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some Catholic churches are getting away from crucifixes or least my Mom's church is. They have a statue of the "risen Christ".

My Mom like Gistok, came from a mixed Catholic/Lutheran couple and went to mass as a child with her Grandma. She came back to it much later in life and got confirmed in her 60s. When I was a child we went to a Unitarian church though so I don't feel the connection she does. I have gone to mass with her at some of the old churches in Detroit and I enjoy the beauty of the buildings and the music.

(Message edited by Pam on October 30, 2006)

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 276
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not a very entertaining story, but I'll tell it anyway.

I've yet to join a parish since moving to Detroit. I've been in search of the parish that is right for me.

I've really enjoyed visiting different churches and meeting the people from each. I started at St. Charles Borromeo then St. Joseph and St. Josaphat among a few others.

I'm hoping to visit about 10 or so parishes before deciding which one is best for me. I believe that the parish cluster concept is a very good way of building a larger networks of Catholics between neighborhoods.

Michikraut
Username: Michikraut

Post Number: 195
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok- Gistok- just to brush up your history dept.- get the duster out and start wiping away the cobwebs.

What was the treaty called ending the 30 year war between Lutheran and Catholics in Northern Europe. I say Northern Europe because the slaughter (yeah folks it was grotesque how non-discriminatory the people killed each other in this war. If the Lord of the manor converted from one to the other religion (usually for monetary or for "power" - belief and piety had nothing to do with it.) All his serfs and dependants were required to convert and if not- then they hanged from the nearest tree, some areas were totally depopulated because of the stench of rotting corpses was so intense and danger from disease so high.) happened in Holland, Luxemburg, Danemark, Schweden, Belgium, parts of Austria and Switzerland.

Again a thread jack- but think the history of the Catholic church has close ties to torture and injustice. Those "bad" olŽ nuns were just the drop in the bucket compared to greater history.

Pam

Post Number: 596
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm hoping to visit about 10 or so parishes before deciding which one is best for me.

Did you go to Most Holy Trinity in Corktown yet?
I've only been there once but it gave me the impression it had a friendly, diverse congregation.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 279
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have not been there yet. I will add it to my list. So far it's been fun meeting the diverse community of Catholics in Detroit.

Due to the spectacular architecture of the buildings themselves, I'm finding it hard to believe that "the church is the people, not the building". It's been hard to focus on mass with such spectacular buildings to catch my attention.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1309
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Born at Holy Cross hospital...Baptized at St. Philomena...Communion, Catechism, confirmation, marriage and annulment all from St. Edmund's parrish in Warren.

My favorite part of church was always the incest...'er I mean incense. Not sure what that was but I've been burning stuff ever since.

One time my ex sis-in-law let a huge unrestrained burp in the middle of mass. Before anyone could look our way she shouted out, MOM !! Lol....I can still visualize my nasty mother-in-law shrinking in the pew as the entire congregation whirled around to stare at her.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1310
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I blame it on the catholic bong....
picture compliments of the Lord.

smells like cheap opium. Every time the altar boys rang the bells three times...I knew the bong was coming out.

**sniff Sniff**

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3012
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michikraut, there was enough blood on everyones hands in the 30 Years War.

The Treaty of Westphalia, signed in 1648 in Munster (today Germany) ended the bloodshed, and for all intents and purposes ended the Holy Roman Empire (although it lingered on until 1806). It was a humiliating defeat for the Holy Roman Emperor (nominal King of Germany) and also ended Catholic domination of Europe.

An interesting side effect of the 30 Years war.... if you took a trip starting in Catholic Austria, and headed northward thru the Austrian Alps into Germany, you would be driving thru Catholic Upper Bavaria, for several hours. Heading north you would get to Lutheran Nuremberg in the center of Bavaria. Heading northward you would enter the Catholic Bamberg area. Continuing northward towards the northern border of Bavaria, you would encounter Lutheran Coburg on the southern fringes of (what was then) Lutheran Saxony (the historic heart of Lutheranism). If you took a turn northeast, you would continue thru Lutheran Thuringia, Lutheran Hesse, and on into Catholic Cologne on the Rhine. Heading northward again you would get to Lutheran areas of northern Germany. The Lutheran areas continue onward uninterrupted into Lutheran Scandinavia.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1064
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Btw, like all good catholics, I dont actually attend mass...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.