Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Detroit restaurant recommendations « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 301
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My family and I are coming to Detroit for Thanksgiving. We'll be in Detroit for about 4 days. We know where we plan on staying and where to go, but I'd like to hear about good places to eat. I'm not talking about fancy places, I mean good, reasonably priced restaurants. Good burger places or places with good beer. I don't really care where they are, but were probably going to spend most our time in downtown, New Center, Grosse Pointe, and Dearborn. Thanks in advance to all with suggestions.

Everydayislikesunday
Username: Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 275
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Union Street. www.unionstreetdetroit.com
Slows. www.slowsbarbq.com
Currents. www.currentsbytheriver.com

Those would be my personal recommendations; however, if you search the forum, this topic has been covered numerous times, and you will find a much more detailed list of options!

enjoy your visit!

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8058
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good Beer in the city:

Detroit Beer Company (decent bar food), Traffic Jam (good food as well), Detroit Brewing (no food except popcorn)

Good Burgers: Detroit Beer Company, Checker Bar, Detroiter, Harrys, Union Street. Cass Cafe

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 392
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Grosse Pointe,for breakfast, either Janet's Lunch at Kerch and Maryland, or Clairmount Restaraunt, on Kerch, one block N. of the old Jacobson's.

I personally recommend for lunch, Ma'Dear's Creaol Restaraunt at the corner of Kerch. and Maryland.(ok, I confess, I am friends with the family that runs it!) The food is great, and the family cooks and serves it.( I recomend the catfish poo-boy!)

Dinner, I'll let some of my other DY forumer's give you thier fav.'s

BTW... IF you need a tour guide, email me at ejdetroit@hotmail.com !1

Detroitej72

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 95
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 7:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you’re not attending a large family gathering on the Holiday, here are a couple of ideas.
While not cheap, the Dearborn Inn serves a really nice Thanksgiving buffet. Webber's Inn in Ann Arbor also does a nice Thanksgiving “feast”.
I really miss the Botsford Inn, it was always a favorite of mine for the Holidays, but I guess a restaurant can’t survive on just two or three good days a year.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 3964
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Traffic Jam- ideal place to take the family with a great variety of food there. They haven't failed me yet (although service can be a bit slow at times).

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 717
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lucy's Tavern on the Hill in Grosse Pointe Farms, on Kercheval. Very nice little neighborhood bistro.

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 343
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TRy Capers on the Eastside on Gratiot. They have the best Catfish, steaks by the ounce, and baked potatoes. The best part is, its small, cozy, nice atmosphere, parking in back, and there reasonable.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4036
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If in Dearborn don't miss Miller's for their burgers.

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 307
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams, you beat me to the endorsement of Millers. Best damn hamburger I've ever had.

Jaydough666
Username: Jaydough666

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In grosse pointe the pickins are kinda slim, but here are my suggestions-jumps for breakfast (only on sundays) is a must, a little pricey, but really great food

mama rosa's pizza is my favorite

the vienna cafe is great-really cozy place with good salads and amazing homemade desserts

for a bar with an amazing beer selection but NO pretention-go to the taproom on charlevoix

just about every other place is average

do NOT go to m'dears-horrible food, the farthest thing from authentic cajun you'll ever have

Dtown1

Post Number: 346
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its some Soul food Place in Dearborn Heights called Tony Romas? Not sure of location, and dont think its soul food, but its sell barbeque ribs and chicken and other good stuff, its in the local yellow pages here though.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 302
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the suggestions. Could I get an address for Miller's?

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 332
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan Ave. between Outer Dr. and Telegraph.

Newlaster
Username: Newlaster

Post Number: 197
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No alcohol, but Orchid Thai, on Monroe between Campus Martius and Greektown has reaaaallly good Thai food.

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 308
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.millersbar.com

Across the street from Bob Evans.

You won't be sorry.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 718
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cadieux Cafe, for mussels, Belgian sausage, potatoes with spinach and divine beer.

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 95
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro Detroit is home to the largest Arabic population out side the Middle East. While in Dearborn consider Pineland restaurant.

Pineland has two locations; one on Michigan Ave. in Dearborn and a second in Farmington Hills. The phone number of the one we go to in F. Hills is: 248-324-1163. Call to get the address & phone of the Dearborn location.

Jaydough666
Username: Jaydough666

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

on the same note sahara in st. clair shores (not too far from grosse pointe) has amazing lebanese food
it's on harper between 8 and 9 mile roads

Milwaukee

Post Number: 303
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone! I looked up the places and got addresses for them.

Oldredfordette, I looked up Cadieux Cafe, but I couldn't find a location. Could you or anyone else tell me where it is?

What are some good pizza places in metro detroit? any good mexican? by mexican I'm interested in places that are in Mexicantown.

Everydayislikesunday
Username: Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 278
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.cadieuxcafe.com/
4300 Cadieux Rd. (between Mack
and Warren)

My two favorite places for pizza are:
Niki's in Greektown or Mama Rosa's in Grosse Pointe Park.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 893
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

buddy's pizza

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2675
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Mexicantown, El Comal, Vernor@24th...Ask for Elda's special guatemalan green sauce. If you are lucky, you will get to try this secret family recipe, which can only be had when Elda is there.
Taqueria Lupita is not bad either.
Xochis, M-town and especially El Zocalo are NOT recommended by this gourmand.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1460
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For cheap and excellent burgers I suggest Plaka's in Greektown. And just about every restaurant in Greektown has great food.

Dtown1

Post Number: 387
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was going to mention Greektown (Trapper's Alley) also, but I figured he wanted something a tad different, or that he knew about it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.