Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » DSR mystery photo update « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bc_n_dtown
Username: Bc_n_dtown

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some months ago -- last January to be exact -- an old photo showing a number of old DSR buses really peaked my curiosity regarding its origin, and prompted me to post the photo over in another discussion group in Yahoo! Groups. I wasn't aware of this forum at the time and didn't know that the photo was then discussed here as well. I ran across those posts just the other day in the archives while doing a search here on the DSR. (I've included the photo along with this post)

As can be expected, the detroitYES.com folks came through and helped to solve the location of the photo, and that info was passed along to me on the other group site. BTW--Thanks folks for your input back then!!!

Based on the info given here, and additional info posted at that Yahoo! Groups site, I was able to answer the questions I had on the photo and even posted my findings there.

However, after reading the posts in the detroitYES.com archives (see also https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/messages/62684/65003.html ), I was surprised to discover that a few of the members here had some of the very same questions I originally had regarding that photo. Unfortunately, they were never answered here, and the topic was later closed.

Those unanswered questions included;
Date of photo?
Make and model info on the DSR buses?
Significance of "CARVER-5" being displayed in the bus windows?
What was the event or occasion at Northern High when photo was taken?

After additional research I was able to gather more info centered around the events seen in the photo.

DSR School-Spot coaches at Northern High

To recap, it was correctly concluded here that the church in the background was the current Little Rock Baptist Church (formally Central Woodward Christian Church), located at 9000 Woodward @ Josephine (a.k.a. Taylor--west of Woodward). The homes in the background were later replaced by an addition to Northern High, which stretched across Josephine. The coaches in the photo can be seen boarding students from Northern High. Back then the DSR actually ran daily chartered school runs for DPS.

Surprisingly, I discovered the photo has other historical significance, and actually depicted a somewhat unfortunate era in this region's history.

The answer to many of those unanswered questions posted here, along with my own quest to pursue those same answers, I posted recently over at the Detroit Transit History web-site.
Those still interested can check it out at:
http://www.detroittransithistory.info/Misc/DSRSchoolPhoto.html

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 60
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing that confused me: It said that the Carver district was eventually absorbed into the Oak Park school district, but isn't Royal Oak Township currently part of the Ferndale school district? Did this change again after 1960? If so, why?

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 697
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wondered the same thing. Way back when, the only elementary school I could remember in Royal Oak Township was Grant Elementary. Couldn't tell you for certain, but I thought Grant was part of the Ferndale district pre 1960.

As to the Carver District, there's a bit of history here...
www.michmarkers.com/pages/L195 3.htm

When Soapy Williams had the Oak Park district absorb the Carver School District, was it because they couldn't contract with DPS anymore?

Bc_n_dtown
Username: Bc_n_dtown

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend of my who use to live in Royal Oak Twp. during the early 90's told me that when he lived there part of the township went to Ferndale schools and the other to Oak Park.

Although the township's boundaries continue on westward to Meyers (one-half mile west of Wyoming), it seems that the Ferndale School district serves Royal Oak Township only east of Wyoming (Rosewood) as shown by the following district map.
http://www.ferndale.k12.mi.us/ Map%20of%20District%204%20web% 202006.pdf

Unfortunately I couldn't tell you what year Ferndale acquired the eastern portion of the township's schools.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 885
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I can help you pin down a date even better. At the front of the lead coach is a license plate colored silver with black lettering. Michigan issued that color combination in 1950 and 1952 and not since. The coaches were manufactured in 1950, so it COULD be a '50 plate....but I'd bet the farm it's a 1952 plate.

The '52 plates were first issued in November of 1951, but the municipal "X" plates were usually distributed in February of the year involved.

Your photo is likely from 1952, although a January/February 1953 date is also possible (prior to the issuance of a 1953 plate)

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936, you sure know your Plates !
I Have a Silver and Black combo from 1925

I wondered if certain numbers were tied to certain colors? 25 & 52 for instance. seems like I've seen this trend before but maybe didn't think of it that way at the time.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1691
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good research, Bc_n_dtown.

For some maps and history of ROT see this old thread:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/62684/72506.html

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.