Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Hello « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jonnyinlaguna
Username: Jonnyinlaguna

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone!

I hope this is the right place for this post.

I thought the proper way to join the forum was to introduce myself. My name is John Kolwolski from Laguna, California. I have lived here for 12 years but am originally from Detroit. The good news is I just received a great job offer and will be moving back to the D in a few weeks. I will be moving into one of the fancy new lofts in the CBD. I want to be part of the New Detroit. Well I have been lurking on this site for about 3 years but didn’t join because I was so far removed from the D. But now I am back and hoping to keep up with the rest of you. There seems to be very intelligent people on this great website. I know what some of you must be thinking why is my user name jonnyinlaguna instead of jonnyinthed, well it is because I haven’t move yet (LOL). I look forward to having some meaningful debate about the D.

Also I would like to thank the host Lowell for letting me sign up.

Jonny soon to be in the D again

(Message edited by jonnyinlaguna on October 28, 2006)

(Message edited by jonnyinlaguna on October 28, 2006)

Motownman
Username: Motownman

Post Number: 38
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome :-)

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 109
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonnyinlaguna-I hope your moved back to town will be a pleasant one, and welcome to the forum!

When do you expect to be all moved in?

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 389
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Home!

Detroitej72

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 34
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Home John. You found work?

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3176
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the forum and welcome home Johnny. You've chosen an exciting and positive time to return to the D.

Jonnyinlaguna

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

I am already working here a few days a week but will be back for good the weekend of November 11th. Finding work wasn’t to hard because I hold 2 degrees from U of M.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5121
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the forum Jonnyinlaguna, Check out the tour of the virtual ghettohoods of Detroit, by logging on to the tour the ruins like above the forum.

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 636
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What Laguna city are you in? Hills? Beach? Niguel? Woods? And what loft development are you moving into? Why did you choose to move back to Detroit from the seemingly perfect (at least as portrayed on tv) Laguna cities of California? Welcome back, it's a great time to be a CBD resident.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1055
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome. May your CBD unit be merry and bright.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1661
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the Forum! And welcome back to Detroit!!! Where did you grow up? Did you get back for visits over the years? Let us know if we can help in any way.

Jonnyinlaguna

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up in Warrendale and went to St. Christopher. I come back a few times each year because my family still lives in Michigan.

A friend of mine told me about a Warrendale blog a few months ago and it is nice to be able to keep up with the neighborhood. The blog itself isn’t very good but every once in awhile there is some interesting information on it.

Here is a link: http://warrendale.blogspot.com /

Hutt
Username: Hutt

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why not move back to Warrendale?

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 681
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Q: if you walk into a crowded party do you know how to tell who the U of M grads are?

A: Wait five minutes, they'll come tell you.

Welcome to the forum Johnny, wish you much succes in the D.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1692
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The blog itself isn’t very good but every once in awhile there is some interesting information on it.

Repeated just for the hell of it.

Welcome, I think.

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 152
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonny,

Welcome. I, too, am moving into one of the fancy new lofts in the CBD (Eureka Lofts on Broadway). I'm also a former Southern Californian (Hermosa and Playa Del Rey). So Cal is great but, like you, I'm a Detroiter at heart.

56packman, oh, btw, I'm a Michigan grad. Is my five minutes up yet?

Docmo

Young_detroiter
Username: Young_detroiter

Post Number: 174
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 4:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonny,

Welcome back home!

It is pleasing to know that natives and/or new-comers can be lured to the city. Though you have roots and family here, it is quite interesting to observe a resident of "paradise" moving into a less than paradisiacal Detroit.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 747
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Home!!

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah welcome.

Now duck and cover ! Heh.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 411
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mauser's instruction applies to this forum. The city is not so bad, but WE are absolutely vicious. Tolerance will not be tolerated. YES, I am kidding.

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 74
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When Johnny comes marching home again,
Hurrah! Hurrah!
We'll give him a hearty welcome then
Hurrah! Hurrah!
The men will cheer and the boys will shout
The ladies they will all turn out
And we'll all feel gay,
When Johnny comes marching home.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6943
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonny,

Where'd you suffer high school?!

Welcome, and best wishes for a safe move.

Never trust a moving company. You can USE 'em, if you must, but never pay them until you check EVERY single piece of cherished heirlooms.

Have a few big friends over when the truck is unpacked, they are very good at intimidating a final payment, and it is always good to not be outnumbered by neanderthals.

You will NEVER, ever get anywhere close to a satisfactory settlement from their insurance company...after they make you wait over a year for your meager cashola. So check everything before they leave, no matter how late they finally get to town.

This has happened to nearly everyone I know who's moved any significant distance...just trying to avoid you some pain.

Cheers!
John

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1060
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city and my sister's recently donated-to-slavation-army couch welcome you to Detroit:

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3009
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnny, you've gotten about the best response around here that I've seen for any newbie in a long time.... WELCOME!!

Usually some of the regulars like to have Noobs for a meal... but you just said all the right things in all the right ways... good to have you back in the big "D"! :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.