Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Spanish immersion schools (pre-school or otherwise)? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Billpdx
Username: Billpdx

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My family and I are gearing up for a move to the Detroit area at the end of the year. I have two boys (1.5 and 3.5), and our oldest is currently enrolled in a Spanish immersion pre-school, which we love.

Are there any schools like this in the Detroit area? I seem to remember a brief mention of one in a story on NPR a couple months ago.

Tndetroiter
Username: Tndetroiter

Post Number: 459
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd give one of my testicles to go back in time and have my parents enroll me in a Spanish immersion class.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2657
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here's no need to sacrifice body parts...there are plenty of good Spanish immersion schools for adults in Mexico and Central America.
As for Spanish immersion schools/pre-schools, I know of no two-way bilingual programs here, but I can tell you that Harms Elementary on Springwells near Vernor is an elementary school that has a very talented and dedicated staff and consistantly high-performing students. Most of the students speak Spanish at home, and many of the kindergartners speak little English yet...

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1644
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"As for Spanish immersion schools/pre-schools, I know of no two-way bilingual programs here, but I can tell you that Harms Elementary on Springwells near Vernor is an elementary school that has a very talented and dedicated staff and consistantly high-performing students."

You may tell him that, but Harms School is not going to move from its present location on Central to Springwells.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Academy of the Americas is the Spanish emersion school in the DPS system. It is housed in the old St. Hedwigs school south of Junction and Michigan Ave. A friend's daughter attended for grade school and speaks Spanish like a native.
http://www.goodschoolsdetroit.org/Academy-of-the-Americas.id.74.htm

(Message edited by homer on October 27, 2006)

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2658
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my bad. I mix up Cecil and Central too.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 375
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Foreign Language Immersion School (FLICS) is located on West Outer Drive in the former Renaissanc HS (former, former Detroit Catholic Central) building. It does not offer preschool; but starts the kids in kindergarten in Spanish, French, Japanese, and Chinese. Look on the Detroit Public Schools web site for more information.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1645
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"my bad. I mix up Cecil and Central too."

Cecil, huh? Mexicans keep correcting **my** English when they tell **me** that it's properly pronounced: Say'-see!

I feel so dumb when that happens...

Young_detroiter
Username: Young_detroiter

Post Number: 173
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 3:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hola Bill

Soy de Detroit, pero vivo en Monterrey, Mexico. Estoy estudiando el idioma a una universidad famosa aqui.

[I'm a Detroit, but I am living in Monterrey, Mexico, right now. I am studying Spanish at the renowned university here.]

Foreign immersion, of course, is an excellent option. However, remember to review and place emphasis on the importance of English within the household. When my sister attended Foreign Language Immersion during her early years, she lacked English language skills and had difficulty reading and writing in her mother-tounge (native language). Nevertheless, her learning pace was at the appropriate speed and reading level with Spanish.

It is very important for the boys to think in both languages.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 749
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard both Academy of Americas and FLICS are wonderful schools. I hear it from parents, teachers and kids. One of our English teachers (who is Chinese) just transferred to FLICS. She had only wonderful things to say about the school. Good luck in finding the right school for your kids. If I had my choice for immersion schools, either of those would be my first choice (even from the suburban schools).

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.