Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Mural Painted Over on Broadway « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone else notice that the mural on Broadway between Gratiot and Grand River was painted over? How long had it been there? Any information to share?

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1818
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was very sad when that happened. It was recent.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 867
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you mean the "Broadway-Randolph" mural?

Pistonian_revolution
Username: Pistonian_revolution

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pics please? before and after? i think i know which one you're talking about but im not sure. if its the one im thinking of, the sort of industrial one, then thats a tragedy.

Formerspringgardener
Username: Formerspringgardener

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The wall faces the new YMCA. It looked like it was probably from the sixties or early seventies.
Now it's a lovely shade of brown.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 782
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

say it ain't so! :-(

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5937
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes the Boradway-Randolph Mural.

I noticed that a few weeks ago when I was at the Lions game.

Post Number: 1050
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has it been a few weeks? Wow. That's a sure sign that I'm not taking enough lunches while at work.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 868
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good.

It always looked to me like a 'failed attempt' at adding visual interest to a dead street.

These days, it's just not needed - fortunately!

Post Number: 1051
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sort of feel the same way.

Its sad that it had to go, but I'd rather see condos in that building and no mural than a mural without condos. Sure, they could have kept it, but a little gentrification can't hurt downtown.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1109
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep yep - a modern metropolis is no place for cultural aspects like a work of art. While we are at it, lets make fucking lofts out of the DIA. Come on people.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 149
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw the building last night and knew something was different but couldn't put my finger on it. Thanks for pointing it out. Sorry, but I didn't like the mural either. BTW, how old is that picture?

Mauser765

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Text description

$50 bucks says one of those crappy plastic ads will be on this space asap.

culturalwasteland-atcha

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 570
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're a cultural wasteland because someone painted over a cheesy 70's mural? Like Eric C stated that thing was nothing more than lame attempt to brighten a dying downtown.

Rms
Username: Rms

Post Number: 47
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look at the structure of that wall. It was never pretty. There were obviously buildings next to it and the side was never meant to be seen. That mural was a 70's self-conscious attempt to be stylish. No lipstick on the pig please. Let's just let it be brown and blend in. When it had the mural it had open unatractive parking lots next to it. That whole area is really transforming now. At least one of the parking lots now has attractive historic looking fencing. There is decent landscaping. I'd rather my eye be drawn to these recent improvements, or the interesting architecture of the building facades.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 290
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't see anything wrong with this going away, it was not clever, it was not bright, it was not trompe l'oile. It was sort of distracting from the street activity.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 373
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

At least one of the parking lots now has attractive historic looking fencing. There is decent landscaping.

Aboslutely! Rms is right about this parking lot. I consider it to be best looking surface parking lot in town. On the strip between the the (ersatz) wrought iron fence and the sidewalk, they have planted trees, hostas, and daylilies. This week, they have trimmed the hostas and daylilies back for the winter.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 864
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What do those motel toilet seat strips say? "Sanitized, for your protection."

They would have made subtly poignant headbands.

(Message edited by Jimaz on October 26, 2006)

Wash_man

Post Number: 152
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For some strange reason, the way those letters were stretched, it reminds me of those "Keep On Truckin" guys of the '70s.

Jimaz

Post Number: 865
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep on truckin'

Wash_man

Post Number: 153
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THAT'S what I'm talking about! See the resemblence? lol

Jimaz

Post Number: 867
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kot2

Jimaz

Post Number: 868
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kot3

Mauser765

Post Number: 1111
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yep.

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 144
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just so the above artist who drew the caricatures gets some credit...

His name is Robert Crumb. Awesome cartoonist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R obert_Crumb

Post Number: 1053
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wash_Man: That picture I posted is from when they were redoing Broadway....so probably 2 years ago. That's the old parking garage on your left.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 172
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The mural gave the building and the street charater. Not it is painted some crappy brown color. Too bad it could not have been touched up. I am sure some art student painter would have loved to have done it or a new mural.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1368
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i always dug that mural too. dang.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's everyone got against the 70s?

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1819
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the mural was fun. It was one of my faves downtown.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 785
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Dialh4hipster. I had that vintage Metropolis-esque look to it. And I didn't mind that it was faded and beat up. Oh well.

Mauser765

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are several other endangered works of art around that may get the boot, such as the Park Shelton mural, and the one next to the fire station behind the Ponchertrain. Sux to lose the history and art because people dont consider such things as valuable. Its a dim reflection on the new breed.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2996
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately if you look at downtown Detroit pics in the Movie Palace Hall of Fame Thread, you will see a city in the boom years of the roaring 20's absolutely covered in advertisments, be they billboards, or wall ads.

That may upset a lot of folks, because Detroit looks nice without all that advertising. But building owners will go for any income that they can get.

Just look at 42nd St. and Times Square in NYC. It's awash in advertising.

Mauser765

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Chicago and New York protect their public art though. I know not everything can stay forever, but if its at the mercy of willynilly "i dont care for that" art critics...well put ads up over everything then.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3172
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Been there, done that...

Post Number: 1054
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm all for public advertising, but that doesn't mean that every ad is public ad worth saving.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2876
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, what, no whales? :-)

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 709
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A ways up in the thread Rms wrote, "There were obviously buildings next to it and the side was never meant to be seen."

Not necessarily. Even if no adjoining construction was immediately built or planned, owners of many buildings did not want to layer ornament on something that might later be stripped off or obliterated during possible future construction.

One example is the side of the Michigan Theatre that faced the Tuller Hotel; the Tuller did not physically join the theatre, but the theatre's wall was still built basically unadorned.

Other examples are the south wall of the Book Building (perhaps already in anticipation of the never-built 81 story tower?) and the various exterior walls of downtown Hudson's as the block was gradually filling in.

Mauser765

Post Number: 1121
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 6:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The michigan theater building is adorned 360 and is bordered by streets on all sides - do you mean the ua building ?

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 711
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops-- yes, I meant the UA.

Post Number: 1056
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Broadway Market used to but up against that building on Broadway. My great aunt has some vivid memories of that place, which she loves to share.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.