Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Pointless Destruction « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Professorjackson
Username: Professorjackson

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a link to a story about a woman who allowed a radio station to destroy her historic car to win tiger tickets.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20061026/S PORTS0104/610260443

Two small points:

1. That's just stupid. Can't radio stations come up with something a little more positive to win the tickets?

2. Illitch, Anita Baker, now this. Why do the modern Tigers have so many connections with the distruction of historic things?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 712
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who needs an OLD car? Wyncha getcherself a nice NEW car?

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1367
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you do realize there have been more vw beetles built than any other car in the world, ever, right?

additionally being a '71 hardly makes it "historic". in fact, the last one rolled off the assembly line in mexico only a year or two ago.

(Message edited by gravitymachine on October 26, 2006)

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2273
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She got more for it than if she had traded it in.

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 135
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What does she get if the game isn't played?...all she's got now is a piece of paper.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 544
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a waste is right.

Why not put it in a car crusher or drop a half ton weight on it? Set it on fire or have someone gun the car and jump out just before it smashes into a wall. Blow it up.

Something exciting. It looks like they're pouring chocalate milk on it.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1389
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And she's going to replace it with a '90 Dodge Shadow. Not what I'd consider an upgrade.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6942
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You obviously never drove an old, rusted Beetle in the wintertime.

Those J-box heat exchangers and paper-tubing air channels usually never lasted longer than five years...and unfortunately with our salty roads the door-sills vanished in rusty dust in twice that time...and THEY were the rest of the route to get that somewhat slightly warmed air to your feet and windshield.

BEFORE the SuperBeetle, life was fine...because the windshield was perfectly straight and you could basically squeegie (sp?) off the frost and ice, even while driving. Inside OR out.

I think everyone should've owned a Beetle at least ONCE in their lifetimes, a vehicle so raw and easy to fix that it made a fantastic starter car.

Made every other vehicle I've owned since look better. Doesn't explain why I gleefully owned six or seven of 'em over the years...and was powerfully crushed to see this one destroyed.

OH, my cement heart...

Cheers!

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 775
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

its a man baby.......

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 231
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sheesh, what a waste of cement.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 171
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear she just gets a bumper sticker if there is no game 6.

Beadgrl
Username: Beadgrl

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sheesh! Nice waste of time there. There may not even be a Game 6 if the Tigers don't hustle up a bit. Like a 90 Dodge Shadow is an up grade? I'm ashamed to say she and I probably went through same school system. Good old Walled Lake thinking.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3006
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bet someone in Oakland County feels kinda stupid now....

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 299
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what a schmuck. I woulda gave her a few hundred to just have something to tinker with.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 779
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ohhh wonderful sticker she will get.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.