Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » 1967 Riot: first-hand account with maps (attn: Milwaukee) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I decided to post this after reading some of the responses and seeing some of the maps on Milwaukee's '1967 Detroit Riots' thread, which has been continuing for a few days. This is a fascinating first-hand account of the riot by Robert Ward, Jr. Ward, a child at the time of the riots, who has provided some incredibly-detailed hand-drawn maps to accompany his fascinating story. The article and maps appear in a curious document called "Field Notes, A Series Dedicated to the Human Exploration of Our Planet: The Geography of the Children of Detroit," a publication of the now-defunct (I think) Detroit Geographical Expedition and Institute, printed in the Spring of 1971. It contains a number of other interesting articles and maps (not all about the riots), some of which I'll post later. I don't know much else about it. The article sounds like it was transcribed from an audio recording or an interview with Ward, and for all I know the maps may have been drawn by another person to accompany hiss story.

The Death of 12th Street, 5.2mb PDF

I hope this has added something to the discussion about the riots and I'd love to hear some of your reactions. Enjoy,

- GS George

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1640
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Milwaukee--the poster--bright enough to realize that Milwaukee--its near NW side--had its own race riot on the very same night as Detroit's? He mentioned, while defending his lousy grammar knowledge in another thread that he was more into history. I wonder...

I happened to be on my hog Harley about 2 AM driving home to the Lakeshore area south of UW-M (from working at the radio station in Waukesha where I was its CE) through that area until at some point, some of Milwaukee's finest were pointing their sawed-off shotguns in my general direction. Then I knew something was not right...

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know anything about your petty grievances or Milwaukee's supposed lack of intelligence, I just wanted to share an interesting story. Thanks for bringing more tension to this board. I can see why so many people who would love to talk about our city are turned off by the bizarre rivalries and unnecessary squabbles that always seem to crop up. I really don't know why I started posting here...

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1641
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GSG, your input is great. Keep it up. I used to work for a while during the 1990s in the 12th Street area in the riot-affected zone. I also remember seeing lots of pheasants near Philadelphia Street. Not many cities have pheasants...

However, my remarks to M'waukee are not addressed to you whatsoever.

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 290
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Gsgeorge, great info!

Livernoisyard, what's your problem? Have I ever been rude to you? Why are you rude to me?

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1642
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe you shouldn't be so eager to dump upon others. But, of course, I also dump on others, but usually as rebuttals.

BTW, being from Greater Milwaukee, did you ever hear about Milwaukee's race riot? It took over a week before the Guard left the area. Most from your generation know little to nothing about that riot because the police and sheriff departments got the Governor to bring in the Guard immediately, unlike Detroit.

For most city residents, it was a forced vacation with nightly curfews. Myself, I wasn't affected, as the Milwaukee County sheriff sent me papers allowing me to traverse or, preferably, circumvent the affected area in order to get to work in Waukesha County. But, no more Harley driving for that time--used the Jag XK-140 roadster instead. Police apparently don't stop the nicer vehicles.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 291
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Maybe you shouldn't be so eager to dump upon others. But, of course, I also dump on others, but usually as rebuttals."

What do you mean?

Also, when have I dumped on you?

"BTW, being from Greater Milwaukee, did you ever hear about Milwaukee's race riot? It took over a week before the Guard left the area. Most from your generation know little to nothing about that riot because the police and sheriff departments got the Governor to bring in the Guard immediately, unlike Detroit."

I know the history of the Milwaukee riot, started at 3rd (now MLK) and North.

Do you think by starting up a thread about the 1967 Detroit riot, that I'm dumping on Detroit?

Milwaukee

Post Number: 292
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"bright enough to realize that Milwaukee--its near NW side"

Milwaukee's riot began at the corner of 3rd and North in the central city. A few blocks north of Brewer's Hill and downtown. The riot happened mostly in the inner city. The mayor was recognized for his competent leadership during the riot. His draconian actions helped to control our riot. Unlike in Detroit, only one person was killed and the riot only affected a few square blocks.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1643
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm referring to Karl. He's sort of a pit bull himself, but he gets dumped upon far more than he dumps onto others.

I lived on Park and Murray (I think), a few blocks from UW-M. One of those streets (Park?) is the east-side-of-the-Milwaukee-Riv er version of Center Street. My next-door neighbor was the editor of the underground newspaper--Kaleidoscope. So we partied because he and his wife and two infant twin kids--Jacob and Joshua--were home-bound for a few days.

My other neighbor and I played catch with a baseball for a time. He said that pitching was all optical illusions until I threw him one of those knuckleballs I had learned to pitch in the fourth grade. He set up to catch it near his neck, but the pitch broke and hit him in the knee instead and severely reinjured his arthritic knee he suffered during his Air Force years. At 24, I could still pitch those knucklers until I gave up pitching for good some seven years later (amateur ball).

Milwaukee

Post Number: 294
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'm referring to Karl. He's sort of a pit bull himself, but he gets dumped upon far more than he dumps onto others."

Livernoisyard, sorry to attack Karl. I should tone down my political posts.

Thanks for the story about your experience during the Milwaukee Riot. I never really talked to my dad about it, but I really should.

Come on Livernoisyard we're both Milwaukee natives and MUHSer's (sort of). I don't want to be an enemy of yours on the forum.

Fortress_warren
Username: Fortress_warren

Post Number: 78
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 7:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can feel the love.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8931
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can feel the toilet lever and want to flush both of them down the shitter.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.