Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » In my opinion Detroit cannot progress because « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fjw718
Username: Fjw718

Post Number: 75
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It does not have a "major" university. Nothing against Detroit Mercy or WSU....but look at every other big city in the country. They all have major universities. College kids are the ones that take the cheap apartments in seedy neighborhoods and stay after they graduate.....

If detroit is 11th in US population, look at the top 10....

1)NYC - Columbia, NYU
2)LA - UCLA
3)Chicago - Univ of Chicago
4)Houston- Rice
5)Philly - Temple
6)Phoenix - O of A
7)San Antonio - UT
8)San Diego - USD
9)Dallas - ok, you got me here
10)San Jose - ok, again, but i proved my point

If detroit wants success, a major college must open a major campus within city limits IMHO

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 1287
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dallas - SMU

Livedog2

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 1288
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

San Jose - Stanford isn't that far away

Livedog2

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 237
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wayne is transforming from a commuter college to a residential college, building more dorms and building a reputable undergraduate program, their med school is taking off and thier law school is good.

Baltgar
Username: Baltgar

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ann Arbor is only 23 miles further from Detroit than Stanford is from San Jose. If I am not mistaken U-M is a pretty big university. As far as its effect on Detroit...well if we had some quality regional mass transit than this would be less of an issue. Having a major university is a factor in making a good city, but it is not all encompassing as you mention.

(Message edited by baltgar on October 25, 2006)

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 324
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow LiveDog, you just took his list and ran with it correcting him, huh?

TRue, a major College would help with the population in terms of Campus and what not, but what College would be interested in a city with high dropout rates and of course poor school funding. I also wouldnt count a private College either because it would be too expensive to build a new college from scratch, at least like Rice or Stanford. WSU has a decent pop., but it doesnt help when the undergrads and grads are leaving the city for better work, not so much education for themselves. Now a branch of U of M in downtown Detroit or MSU may work, I dont see why not. However, what will the city do when people graduate from college and move out for better jobs and civics. In the long-term, a university will still hurt Detroit. Then of course, Detroit doesnt have mass transit either, and from what I seen, College kids use a lot of mass transit to get from one place to another, especially ones on campus. So good try, but it will never go to that extent of a major university in Downtown Detroit.

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 288
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

9)Dallas - ok, you got me here

Argosy University-Dallas Campus
Art Institute of Dallas
Dallas Baptist University
Dallas Christian College
Dallas Theological Seminary
Parker College of Chiropractic
Paul Quinn College
Southern Methodist University
University of Phoenix-Dallas Fort Worth Campus
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas

Dtown1

Post Number: 325
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goodness, we only have two or three sorry Colleges and technical centers coompared to Dallas's 10-12 colleges.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 289
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"5)Philly - Temple"

Temple and an ivy-leaguer and about 12 other major Universities

"If detroit wants success, a major college must open a major campus within city limits IMHO"

Buffalo, New York has 50,000 college students in 12 different college's around the city. Buffalo's population is still falling.

Not an attack on Buffalo, it's a great city! :-)

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 567
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah we know how major colleges just open major campuses all the time in the middle of cities.

Also WSU is a major university, it has 30,000+ students. The problem is that too few live in the area. Maybe you haven't noticed that WSU has been building more housing in area. The processs of transforming WSU from a commuter school, to a more traditional one will bring progress. Not some idiotic, pie in the sky ,idea of some random school opening a campus in the city

Kilgore_south
Username: Kilgore_south

Post Number: 199
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While we're at it, UT is in Austin. How the hell did San Antonio do it???

Also I'm willing to bet that Wayne State is way bigger than Temple in Philly.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 950
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It does not have a "major" university."

Of all the problems this city has, Higher Education options are NOT one of them.

Baltgar
Username: Baltgar

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since we are making lists...

Marygrove
U-D
Wayne State
Center for Creative Studies

Just Outside of the D:
Oakland University
Univ of Phoenix
U-M
Lawerence Tech
Walsh College
Baker College
Davenport Univ.
International Academy of Design and Tech.
University of Windsor
Madonna
Schoolcraft
Cranbrook Academy of Art
Rochester College

Tndetroiter
Username: Tndetroiter

Post Number: 422
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Metro Detroit area is bigger than all of the cities on that list w/ the exceptions of NYC, Chicago, Philly, and maybe Dallas. WSU is a major university, it has good academic programs, it just hasn't been promoted properly. UDM is no slouch either. U of M is 45 minutes away and has a branch campus in Dearborn. I don't think Detroit lacks a major university at all.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 285
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Continuous loss of pop base, increasing crime, lacking services, tarnished national image, fledgling industries, brain drain, extreme segregation, concentrated poverty...........what can cure this............A Major University!

What a Novel Idea. So much for Jane Jacobs and Lewis Mumford, they didn't know a thing.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2052
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't call WSU a rinky dink school. It's considered a major research university. It does research on par with U of M and MSU and any other well known university.

It's school of Social Work is #1 in the country and the Med. school is also highly ranked. The School of Education, Engineering, Geography & Urban Planning, Theatre, Labor Studies, etc. are all highly regarded as well.

It may not have a top ranked sports program and that may affect its national image. I'll take academics and research over a student subsidized minor-league sports program.

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 778
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the problem with detroit is with the region. a region filled with people that state;

"detroit has no colleges"

"detroit has no downtown"

"detroit has no culture"

the list goes on and on.

detroit's problem is not a lack of attractions for suburbanites.

its problems are much deeper than that.

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 259
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dallas has a very large community college system. It make both Wayne and Oakland's system look like a joke. http://www.dcccd.edu/

Established

Chancellor
Dr. Wright Lassiter

Tuition
$39 per credit hour for Dallas County residents

Number of locations: 7 colleges; one additional location
Brookhaven College
Cedar Valley College
Eastfield College
El Centro College
Mountain View College
North Lake College
Richland College
Dallas TeleCollege

Students (Fall 2005)
Credit: more than 63,000
Noncredit: more than 21,000

Employees (Fall 2005)
6,900 full-time and part-time faculty, staff and administrators

Total Operating Budget (fiscal year 2004-2005)
$360 million, including student financial aid

SMU is the only "Major" university in the city. However, TCU, UTA, and UNT aren't far from Dallas.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 4698
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"6)Phoenix - O of A"

Huh?

University of Arizona is in Tucson, 110 miles away.

Arizona State University is in Tempe, an adjacent suburb.

Tndetroiter

Post Number: 425
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And ASU isn't even that good of a school...hehe..

Milwaukee

Post Number: 296
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"6)Phoenix - O of A"

Karl, I think he meant University of Phoenix online. :-)

Wsukid
Username: Wsukid

Post Number: 153
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok so if you want to go by numbers

the Detroit metro has roughly 60-70 thousand students within the area 33,000 at WSU ( 2nd largest campus in terms of student population in the state. There is 30,000 at UM-Ann Arbor, 20,000 at EMU, and the rest 10,000 at Oakland Univ, 10,000 at UM dearborn.
In the city of Detroit there is close to 50,000 college students in the city. including UofD,WSU, UM Detroit ( in orchestra place), WCCD, Marygrove

FJW have you been to the midtown area?
do you know that many WSU kids do stay in the apartments and in the dorms surrounding the campus and throughout Midtown? In terms of size WSU is the 2nd largest commuter campus in the country behind Temple. And you cant transform a campus overnight were actually working with the
neighborhood, UCCA, the city to create relationships and developments.

Let me see what else should I educate you on
-WSU school of medicine is the 2nd largest in the country
-I think 80 percent of alumni stay in the metro region
- we have the rated as having one of the best schools of social work in the country

BTW one thing you have to understand is that WSU was created as an university to be both a great education and a affordability to the community. One reason you dont see it as prestigous and I see as something amazing is that it is a university that gives everyone a chance who might otherwise not go to school ( example
working class families, students who cant afford MSU,UM, adult students, etc..) You have to understand we have a different population of students that REPRESENTS THE COMMUNITY!!!

Here is where the city and WSU should work on
1. Not create more universities but GET MORE STUDENTS GOING TO COLLEGE. Thus Wayne's 2020 plan is to get to 40,000 students. Michigan already has 15 public universities and dozens of private schools.
2. Create a mass transit system so more students would stay in and around campus. Something that would connect the state's largest research schools.
3. Continue to become a better neighbor to the city and the region working together.

so that is all I have to say and if you want to know more why dont you look at the school's website www.wayne.edu

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1438
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eight of the cities listed cover larger areas than Detroit does. If Detroit's boundaries encompassed 300 - 500 square miles a lot of issues wouldn't be issues anymore.

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 559
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Colleges and universities are important, no doubt. However, the approach needs to be about quality and business/technology transfer instead of about quantity/numbers.

Detroit need not be concerned about battling cities such as Dallas or Phoenix or Houston. Detroit should actually work towards a Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill with a Research Triangle model. There are a lot of smarts here in the region ..... we can include UM-Ann Arbor, Oakland U, UD-Mercy, Wayne State, EMU and also University of Toledo. If academic and research partnerships can boost the reputation of the institutions, the cities will benefit from an influx of students and an influx of commercial investments.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 206
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree what do you think the likelyhood is of Detroit annexing Highland Park, Hamtramick, and other southern suburbs?

I dont think a University is an issue that stunts growth as much as our lackluster public schools who dont produce enough College students to attend these univerities.

And BTW, I consider MSU to be a Detroit area school thats just a little farther away, most MSU students are from the Detroit area anyway.

Mountainman
Username: Mountainman

Post Number: 113
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm attending school way out of state right now. And as far as schools go, Wayne State has an excellent reputation. To many not involved in academic circles, schools with great athletics get all the attention. WSU is actualy ranked higher than Michigan State in many areas for its graduate programs. Wayne State has been an anchor for Detroit. As far as the list you provided, USD and UT rarely show up in lists of great "academic" schools.
The graduate and undergraduate programs offered by WSU, contribute far more to Detroit than you can image. Wayne is also in the middle of a transformation that will only enhance it's image.

Pistonian_revolution
Username: Pistonian_revolution

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 1:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think people need to stop badmouthing wayne state. thank you, wsukid, for speaking the facts about wayne state. i think people have an inferiority complex about detroit so they project that inferiority complex onto wayne state as well.

its true- wayne state is not an ivy league school. but i think you naysayers need to do your homework before you start badmouthing wayne state for not helping detroit grow. you reveal your ignorance about midtown and downtown when you say things like that. its obvious that you've never been to midtown or the medical school campus.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 3948
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW- it's COLLEGE for Creative Studies now. It dropped the "Center" bit years ago.

Fjw718

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, i was pretty drunk when i posted that........lol, suprised it came out semi-coherent

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2182
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wayne State is a major university. Wayne State's graduate programs are known fairly widely. The problem is that they foster standards that are too low in the undergrad program. They call it their urban commitment or something, I call it what it is: low standards. It needs to incrementally become harder to get into, so that hopefully it might be more competitive than MSU. That would be a good place.

A lot of those cities you mentioned actually have several great universities. Philadelphia, for example, has UPenn, Drexel, St. Joseph, and Temple in the city (probably some more which I'm forgeting), and Villanova and Bryn Mawr just outside the city. That's an intellectual powerhouse.

I see your point though...we need to become the same thing to prepare for the post-industrial economy that will inevitably come even to Detroit. The more highly educated people we have around, the better. I don't know how easy it will be to get new colleges to come, but I know that we can take Wayne State up a notch, and we can try to make UM (the best public school in the nation) more connected to Detroit (hello-mass transit?).

Fjw718

Post Number: 77
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again, sorry for missing some fairly obvious universities, but i had consumed a few beefeater martini's before i posted that thought last night......

Not only do students tend to stay in the city after they graduate, they also populate the cheaper and less "popular" parts of town. Look at what Columbia university in NYC did for Harlem or NYU for the West Village.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 266
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's hard to call a school with a total enrollment of 33,000 minor.

Out of state students has risen for the past few years, and should continue to rise as the undergrad programs as well as the residential concepts continue to improve.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2852
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro detroit is EXTREMELY well served by a broad and deep State university system within its metro area. In fact, IMO when it comes public universities metro DET (with WSU UoM and Eastern) is really on par with the best (the Bay area and LA) in terms of breadth of available options and is frankly superior to virtually every other large metro region in the US.

What metro Detroit LACKS is an elite private (R-1 type) university. Virtually EVERY other older US city has one of these:

offa the top of my head ...

ATL: Emory
CLE: Case Western
NO: Tulane
BOS: BU and suburban MIT & Harvard
LA: USC, and suburban Caltech
StL: Washington
SF: Stanford
NY: Columbia, NYU, Rockefeller (plus suburban Princeton and nearby Yale)
PHI: Penn and Temple
PIT: Carneige-Mellon
CHI: UoC and suburban Northwestern
DC: Georgetown, Howard
BAL: Johns Hopkins
HOU: Rice

I'm sure there are more and I've probably neglected to mention some in some of the cities I've listed but I think I've made my point.

Ignoring the 500# gorilla ivyleaguers and their superelite MIT Caltech Stanford Johns Hopkins counterparts, consider the other "lesser" institutions. These exist because a wealthy citizen endowed them once upon a time AND local middle class and upper middle class citizens maintained and supported these institutions over the generations.

The fact that Detroit now LACKS, say, a Ferry University or Whitney University while their counterparts in virtualy every other city (e.g.CLE, ATL, PIT etc etc) DO reflects on DET culture. The fact that DET Robber baron era $$'ed classes did not invest in place certainly was echoed in the habits of the AUTO Boom $$ied classes (No Dodge, Ford, Fischer, Durant etc universities.) This isn't the FAULT of these people, it imo is simply cultural ... it is part of middle class and working class DET as well.

The roots of DETs rejection of place is DEEEEP.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8929
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I rank this thread number 5 in the top 10 Dumbest Threads Ever list.

Detroit is failing because it doesn't have a major university? NOW, I have heard it all.

Dan_the_man
Username: Dan_the_man

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The fact that Detroit now LACKS, say, a Ferry University or Whitney University while their counterparts in virtualy every other city (e.g.CLE, ATL, PIT etc etc) DO reflects on DET culture. The fact that DET Robber baron era $$'ed classes did not invest in place certainly was echoed in the habits of the AUTO Boom $$ied classes (No Dodge, Ford, Fischer, Durant etc universities.) This isn't the FAULT of these people, it imo is simply cultural ... it is part of middle class and working class DET as well. "

The Fisher Family has donated very large amounts of money to the University of Detroit Mercy over the years. They have one building named after them and another building was built with funds that they donated. UDM is a very good school, it just isn't well known. There really aren't that many people outside of the area that even know the school exists. The school is trying to change that, but there's only so much that they can do.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4001
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who ever heard of Oak Brook, IL before Hamburger U?

Now it is world famous, attracting students from all over the globe.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2857
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dan, I agree, UDM is a fine school that serves the metro area quite well within it's mission, but it ain't what I'm talkin' about. UDM has peer institutions in other cities (Fordham, Marquette, DuPaul, John Carroll, ...) and compares favorably in some regards and less favorably in others to these peers, but it is certainly a fine school. UDM ain't a R1-type private university tho ... and among UMDs peers, I believe only Georgetown is actually an R1 (and I might be wrong about that).

Quickdrawmcgraw
Username: Quickdrawmcgraw

Post Number: 71
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing is missing that some former WSU students and former/current faculty staff are revisiting the Wayne State/New Center/Midtown area as a place to offer educational, cultural and social experiences within a defined area. Also, lest not we forget, Detroit & Michigan is marginalized in terms of our industry--the automobile. Once we embrace change, the institutions will come. Our forfathers created an industry where very little post graduate education was needed, thus the situation that we are currently facing.

I'm sure a lot of people who have not considered wanting or needing a degree wish they had they pursued earlier if they new what we were going to (and now) experience.

WSU & UDM are both in spots to create regional draws and work with their respective communities to create student experiences and create a hip place to be.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 706
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Our forfathers created an industry where very little post graduate education was needed"

It usually didn't require any undergraduate (bachelor's) education, let alone graduate/post graduate (master's) education.

Stevedee
Username: Stevedee

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, I've lived in Dallas 28 years(originally born and grew up in Detroit). Yeah SMU is an urban college but overall Dallas is a commuter college type city. But hey, at least Detroit has two things Dallas will never have...a soul and the Tigers...

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

going back to the thread title,,"Detroit cannot progress because "" I feel is a bit negative ,,,ofcourse there are negatives but there is also progress going on in Detroit ( at least downtown) right now,,, Look at pics from 5 years ago and then now.. and .. believe it or not many newspapers around the country ,,(and even the Toronto Globe and Mail) have noted the progress and how much better Downtown looks now.. A Georgia paper mentioned it as a up and coming city..Why run with negatives all the time, look at your accomplishments folks .. it might help conquer the negatives or at least help to solve some of them. Positive energy breeds more postive energy and conversely so

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 808
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Wayne State's name is holding it back. It's got a bad connotation. Wayne State. It just doesn't sound right to me. Its sounds like a second tier commuter school in a struggling midwest city. How about, Detroit State University. How about University of Michigan -- Detroit. I dunno.

Apbest

Post Number: 242
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there's already a university called U of M...maybe you've heard of it?
you cant just have two universities w/ the same name

Detroit University or Detroit State would be an only option but that will absolutely never happen.

Wayne State sounds fine to me

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 343
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All Detroit has to do is incorporate Wayne State more into the fabric of the city.

Right now it seems like a uni where kids go to class, then drive home to the burbs.

You have to create a atmosphere where kids will want to stay after class and hang on Woodward Ave, etc.

And you need public transport to get them to school. Kids walking to and from bus stops, rapid transit stops, etc will create the streetlife that will spawn business near the university.

Now one thing I think should happen is some of the suburban universities and colleges should open up in downtown Detroit. That would be amazing and make a central educational area for the region, and bring thousands of students into downtown each day.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 555
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chicago's UofC and Northwestern (Evanston) are not very large schools. DePaul would be the largest, but it is still around 20k students.

I think Rustic's point was correct, Detroit is missing a large, prestigious, RESEARCH university.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 214
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

its time for me to take this thread personal...

WSU is a tier one research university...

that has nothing to do with it...what we need is a good school system with schools that are ranked nationally...that will make Detroit thrive again...and real leadership to take it there

wsu alum 03' and employee

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 779
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Mrs. Daniels.

BTW, when was the last time some of you steped into Midtown and the WSU area, thier turn around is just about as grand as downtowns has been minus the stadiums

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2183
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

University of Michigan needs to create a Detroit campus. That would be big, I think. They are already starting to build a small presence in midtown.

Apbest

Post Number: 243
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

maybe moving thier urban planning/arch school there would be good

Apbest

Post Number: 244
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

maybe moving thier urban planning/arch school there would be good

their current building is only for administrative purposes I believe

Cinderpath
Username: Cinderpath

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is easy- Detroit will never make it because the politicians are corrupt. Plain and simple. Until the corruption at all levels is cleaned up, it'll never make it. Detroit needs a Giuliani. It has plenty of colleges and universities in the area, but no major business will move to a place where corruption in perceived.

Dtown1

Post Number: 331
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cinderpath, you hit it right in the bullseye.

Jams

Post Number: 4028
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish bulllseyes were that easy.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 559
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's only a partial explanation. Chicago (and Illinois as a whole) is corrupt as can be. They're doing pretty good.

Although as corrupt as Daley is, he's so powerful that if he wants something done, it generally gets done. Not the case in Detroit.

Dtown1

Post Number: 332
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What do u mean by.....

"Although as corrupt as Daley is, he's so powerful that if he wants something done, it generally gets done. Not the case in Detroit."

I know what your saying, but I just want you to go into detail.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 883
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sky high taxes, rock bottom services. Never mind that University bullshit.

Jams

Post Number: 4030
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Change it, if you can.

You're not the first, nor will you be the last.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 560
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What do u mean by.....

"Although as corrupt as Daley is, he's so powerful that if he wants something done, it generally gets done. Not the case in Detroit."

I know what your saying, but I just want you to go into detail.

I don't have details, it's just conventional wisdom. When you're as powerful/respected/feared/corr upt as Daley is, when you want something bad enough, it happens. On the other hand, how many projects in Detroit get tied up in bickering between the city council, the mayor's office, the state, etc etc.

Not that Chicago/Illinois politics never get mired in political BS, though.

Dtown1

Post Number: 333
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

However, I mean how can Daley always get the job done, no matter what, but if Detroit tries to get something done, there's some catch, thats what I dont understand?

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 295
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit's history was not built on University educated people, but rather self-taught innovators. Those whom had money in the early years saw to it that it was used for other purposes (Henry Ford Hospital, gifts of Art to the DIA, big-ass Belle Isle fountains.

How many of the other top ten cities have Art museums as nice as the DIA? One. New York (yes Chicago's is nice, but it is no DIA in terms of collection).

How many of the other top ten cities have a Hospital like Henry Ford? Philly does, but I can't see the rest of them, the best hospitals are found in Cleveland, Minneapolis, and Balimore none of those are larger than Detroit, whats the point? Well whats the point of drawing abritrary parallels between universities and large cities, does it amaze me that large cities are served by universities hell no.

By using your logic, Boston should be bigger than New York. There is no giant master plan out there shaping cities, thats what makes them all different and interesting.

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

udm isn't bigger because people are AFRAID of the big bad city
people are other too dumb to get in, can't cut the program, or afford 35 thousand a year
udm n marygrove are holding the west side together
so don't be hating
i'll cut you

Nyburgher
Username: Nyburgher

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First, I want to say that I have never been to Detroit but this is a good topic. I am pretty much a lifelong New Yorker and now i live in Pittsburgh.

I think that in terms of NY is that the design of the schools and thier level of integration into the city is what determines thier importance. Campus scools separated from the city like ST. John's, Fordam and Columbia are much less important than the schools that are non campus and integrated into the street life of the city. NYU is huge for NY cause it's got stuff all over the village. But it's the dozens of schools like Cooper Union, SVA, FIT, John Jay, The New School, Julliard etc. that make the city. They feed the city and the city feeds them. Internships and contiuing education is built in to thier design.

Now I am in Pittsburgh which is all about walling off the kids from the city and it sucks.

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 114
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who cares how many universities are in Detroit?

What really matters is the kids that start high school finish high school. Parents need to step up, the kids need to step up.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 562
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oakland and Shadyside are pretty cool neighborhoods though.

Nyburgher
Username: Nyburgher

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think this guy has it right.

"All Detroit has to do is incorporate Wayne State more into the fabric of the city.

Right now it seems like a uni where kids go to class, then drive home to the burbs.

You have to create a atmosphere where kids will want to stay after class and hang on Woodward Ave, etc.

And you need public transport to get them to school. Kids walking to and from bus stops, rapid transit stops, etc will create the streetlife that will spawn business near the university.

Now one thing I think should happen is some of the suburban universities and colleges should open up in downtown Detroit. That would be amazing and make a central educational area for the region, and bring thousands of students into downtown each day."

It's the level of integration between the city and the schools that is most important. One recent trend in NY has been a lot of schools like Fordam and ST. Johns opening branches in the city. Also Hunter College runs a great magnet high school.

Fjw718

Post Number: 79
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

totally agreed MSU and UM should open downtown satellite campuses.....that will get the ball rolling

Dtown1

Post Number: 337
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree and angry dad. Its not the kids totally, its the ignorant, lazy parents that are letting them turn up like that. The killing part is, the parents sometimes praise what the kids are doing now a days,and thats wrong. so what angry dad says, i totally agree.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 258
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, the way I see it, is that Ann Arbor is the way it is because of U of M. Wayne State is never going to be as good as U of M, but imagine taking 3/4ths or even 1/2 of Ann Arbor's downtown and plopping it in midtown. Not only would WSU CCS (and probably Cass Tech students too) support the area, but other student aged in the metro would visit the same way that people who don't go to U of M visit Ann Arbor.

But really, midtown could really be an outstanding college town in itself.

In Toronto, there is this retail strip on Younge Street that has music stores, and cool things like that. There's one university that's right next to it, and another university that's still pretty close to it, and I think it's those students that made that strip intially possible. The same could happen to Woodward or Cass in midtown, imo.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 238
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Privatize DDOT and SMART by selling them to someone who understands customer service and Detroit will have the best public bus system in the world.

Tndetroiter

Post Number: 472
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow...that's certainly from left field.

Dtown1

Post Number: 340
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Privatize DDOT and SMART by selling them to someone who understands customer service and Detroit will have the best public bus system in the world."

OH MY GOD!!!! What IS IT WITH YOU. DO YOU WANT ME TO GO CRAZY ON YOU NEXT. IM NOT IM A GOOD MOOD THIS EVENING!

forgive me lord.

Fjw718

Post Number: 80
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you cant blame him for being committed

Dtown1

Post Number: 341
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not him being committed, its him bringing up something about the buses that has nothing to do with the colleges and how they will bring back the city. That's basically what upsets me, like mentioning something about it in the Suburban Malls thread, had nothing to do with nothing in that forum. Now the People Mover forum or DARTA forums would be his places, but forums that have nithing to do with buses, COME ON NOW!

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 293
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

U of M used to have a satellite campus in the Rackham building, across from the DIA and Welcome Center, but it closed inthe late 70's early 80's.....not sure of the exact date.

Wayne State is already a top ranked research school and has tremendous graduate programs, especially their law school.

In order for their school to be held in the same light as U of M and MSU they need to bolster their ATHLETIC program. The amount of free advertising that comes from Big Ten sports is huge. If WSU could get their name in the media like MSU and U of M do then people wouldn't be questioning their name or status or impact.

Their academics are already on the right track, get the Athletic program on a Division - I level and you will see the schools' status skyrocket.

Also if they were to increase their undergrad requirements it wouldn't hurt either. I think last time I checked it was a 21 on the ACT.....can anyone confirm?

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 239
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ann Arbor and Lansing are college towns AND have good bus systems that colleges use.

So, buses do make a point here.

But, Detroit does not have the local tax base like Ann Arbor or Lansing.

Try and convince nearby suburbs or Detroit to pay the same tax as Ann Arbor or Lansing and you will understand exactly what I mean.

Livonia residents voted a tax increase and a not decrease for Livonia transit, as many of you seem to think. We will now pay much more at the gas pump because we no longer can use SMART to get to other cities.

When it comes to attracting colleges to cities, you need a good bus system or these places will just locate elsewhere. The same is true for jobs as you will see when SMART leaves Livonia. Yeah, we have Wal-Mart but to attract quality jobs that pay at least 12 dollars per hour as opposed to about $9 per hour you need to lower the cost of government.

The cities of Detroit and Livonia both are failing to meet this requirement which is why the slums are pushing their way past the city limits by crossing River Rouge park. In fact, the city center is getting better at the expense of inner ring suburbs such as Livonia.

The city council members of Livonia who wanted SMART to leave believe that cites like Livonia can't possibly ever have slums, but they are wrong.

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1672
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Wayne State is already a top ranked research school and has tremendous graduate programs, especially their law school."

Also their engineering school is highly thought of. And oddly enough, their school of philosophy graduate program is in the top 5 in the country. (A friend of mine moved here from Dallas just to attend the graduate program in philosophy.) Isn't their medical program highly rated, as well?

I think the reason that WSU isn't thought of as a major university is because it doesn't have a Div 1 sports program. (Isn't John Hopkins a major university? Been awhile since they were in a major bowl game.) I don't think that people who know academics think of it as anything but a major university.

Jams

Post Number: 4038
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shall we add the theatre department to the list as well?

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 306
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the nice thing about Wayne State? no too many of the chicks live in dorms so they are not as fat as they are at U of M.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.