Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Moving business downtown NEED YOUR HELP! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1007
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've talked my partners into moving our office downtown. We're small, 4 people, looking for someplace within walking distance of the CBD. We don't care really about the look of the office, we're an internet company so anything is fine as long as it's heated and has internet. Could be loft, class a/b, whatever.

Anyone know of a good resource to find a space fast? Last time I checked, a few months ago, Book Cadillac was pretty cheap. Anyone have any suggestions? Everything online seems to be geared for class A. I will walk around sometime tomorrow looking for space but wanted to check with my great resource, DetroitYes!

(Does anyone know the web address for those lofts above Nikki's?)

(While I live in IVA and know restaurants, bars, residential places, etc...I've never looked into commercial space...I appreciate your help!)

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 953
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the website for the boydell/greektown lofts leasing agent is: http://www.loftplace.com/ however, i would not trust that space or any other run by boydell management. i have heard a number of horror stories about them and have my own.

some class b space that might be worth checking out: the david stott tower, the book tower, lofts in the building that houses hamilton anderson in harmonie park (harmonie point building?), the ford building, and the palms building. i've known people that have had offices in these spaces, and while they don't rave about them, it seemed to fit their needs pretty well. [these may not all be class b, i jsut lumped them all together.] i also know that forbes management is very reputable and would recommend any of their buildings.

if you would like, shoot me an email about the type of space you're looking for (eg. square footage, price range, etc.). i may know of a couple spaces that haven't started (or have just begun) renovation yet. rockstarchitect@aol.com

here are some other fairly good resources:
http://www.signatureassociates .com/availableproperties.htm
http://www.exclusive-realty.co m/properties.html

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 289
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You might want to look closer in, places like Penobscot and Buhl already have some hi-tech firms in them. The only drawback is if you drive. Parking is expensive.

BTW, its the Book Building, if you move into the Book Caddy right now you will be COLD!

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1009
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks guys...yes I know...Book Cadillac was a typo now I feel stupid duh!

RSA I'll shoot you an email...

Thanks again!

Superduperman
Username: Superduperman

Post Number: 155
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You really should check out the building our company is leasing space from,The Carleton loft building on library street,the owners (Mindfield Pictures)are really cool and if I'm not mistaken they have a whole floor thats available for lease,the price should be reasonable,like I said they are a great bunch of people you can give them a call at 313.964.5240.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 236
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what about the former Madison THeater on GCP? they seem to have alot of space left, brand new, next to the GCP underground garage and on Broadway which has lots of dining choices and close to 2 PM stations

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1046
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There may be a first floor office available at 163 Madison Ave. - right next to Comerica Park and within a minute or two of great dining, theaters, etc. Call Barden Companies to inquire...

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 123
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could be mistaken, but isn't there some lofts or floors for rent above/near Detroit Beer Co? Next door to the Eureka Lofts. Seems like they might be a nice fit.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 608
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's great news, Quinn.

You should know that if you're looking for 2000 sq. ft. or less, every significant office building in the CBD will have one or more suites available. Just go to the management office in each building and inquire.

The cheapest space with the best views will be in the Book and the David Stott. Definitely not class A space though. More like Class B/C.

Ford and Penobscot Buildings and First National are a step up. Well maintained with lots of services.

Guardian and Buhl buildings are another small step up. Guardian has built out small suites on spec that are pretty cool. The lobby will impress clients.

I also heard that NDavies was looking to sublease his space in the Vinton Building. Give him a holler. Just kidding.

Out of the bunch, the Ford building's rates are a little lower ($12-16 sq. ft) and probably make it the the best combination of price, quality, location, and services.

If you're looking for something less than $12 sq. ft., you'll have to look into one of the non-traditional or loft buildings. Good luck. Let us know where you land.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2976
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn, go check with Tony Pieroni (his office is on the 8th floor of the Michigan Building). I don't know if he can help you, but it's worth a try. You'd have the most interesting indoor parking spaces in the world!!

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 127
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If nothing else, thanks for informing us that you've chosen to come downtown. Bring your friends once your business is established! :-)

Kristina
Username: Kristina

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second what RSA says...DO NOT rent from Boydell. Sure, their lofts look cool, but just don't.

Come to midtown. :-)

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 69
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn-

I have a friend who is a real estate broker with a lot of experience in the detroit area. Knows the market and could definitely help you find a place. She has helped many people I know with this process. It doesn't cost anything to use brokers so you have nothing to lose by calling them. Doing this yourself will most likely not get you the best rates. Either e-mail me (saweisberg@gmail.com) and I can give you her number, or you can e-mail her at diane@advocateadvisors.com. Good luck with the search.

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 363
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.smart-detroit.com/

Northend
Username: Northend

Post Number: 946
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn, If you are interested in being in the CBD (Cadillac Tower, First National Building, or Penobscot Building), email me at downtowndm at gmail dot com

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.