Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Bagley Fountain « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 107
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone been able to confirm (or heard of confirmation) that pieces of the Bagley Fountain were stolen while it was in storage? DDA isn't talking to me.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1650
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you suggesting that replacement pieces were made in order to reassemble the fountain as we see it today in Cadillac Square?

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 108
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why yes, yes I am.
But I can't get anyone to confirm.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2262
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What difference does it make? The fountain's been restored and about to be put back in use. Isn't that good enough for you?

Gotdetroit
Username: Gotdetroit

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe he's just curious...Weird concept, I know.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2263
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Worrying DDA employees to get confirmation seems a little overboard to me. Maybe a little mudraking on an non existant problem?

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1359
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would much prefer the fountain stay in storage in "original" condition than be restored and put back out for public enjoyment, but that's just me...

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1260
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Graffiti found of the fountain foretelling this thread.
Silly

Gotdetroit
Username: Gotdetroit

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gravity - I'm assuming you're being sarcastic. I don't know the person who started this thread, but it appears (on the surface) to be a simple question. If it isn't true, fine, if it is, fine too.

I personally think it's great it's going back on display. Whether they had to "manufacture" some parts to complete it is irrelevant (to me), but I can understand someone’s curiosity. It also questions (as is anybody’s right) as to how the City stores these historical items.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8920
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like the statues from old city hall.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1651
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe Rhymeswithrawk is a local journalist. So he/she is investigating a possible angle on the Bagley Fountain restoration.

As with any restoration, especially something of this age, I would expect that some pieces had to be replaced because the original ones were unusable. I don't think it's a big deal.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1361
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gotdetroit. sarcasm it was. the original post seemed to imply, to me, an air of scandal surrounding these supposed missing pieces. Hardly seems the subject of scandal to me is all.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10783
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can confirm that there are some non-original pieces. Though I heard nothing about the being stolen, simply that they were damaged at some point and that they were having trouble finding stone to match. The fountain is looking good if you ask me, no complaints here.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 121
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of the peices were unusable and had to be replaced.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2970
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now if they would only put the Merrill Fountain in storage until they found a use for it, besides sitting unattended and unused in Palmer Park...

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 109
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No intent to raise scandal, just curious. After all, it's the only piece of H.H. Richardson's work still standing in Detroit after the Armory was torn down. It certainly is grand to see it back.
Why someone can't just ask a simple question without being attacked on this forum is beyond me.

(Message edited by rhymeswithrawk on October 30, 2006)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.