Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » I-94 contractor's organge barrels b/w 8 Mile & I-696 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 387
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One has to wonder why neither candidate for governor hasn't mention MDOT's lack of supervision of contractors.

This morning, it took me 80 minutes rather than my normal 40 to get to work since Eastbound I-94 was down to one lane between 8 Mile Road and I-696 for laying goncrete on the berm to the right of the right-hand traffic lane. The backup began before Moross (7 Mile Road),

The exits to 8 and 9 Mile roads were open and there was no construction before then, but the one right lane was closed causing people to jam up who otherwise might have chosen the I-94 Service Drive to get around the delay.

Before 10 Mile Road the two right lanes were closed. Construction didn't begin until just beyond 10 Mile Road, the berm was excavated for the pouring of the concrete - so the construction areas were obvious. There were long distances with no excavation.

And, the 10 Mile Road entrance was open, which meant merging cars into the remaining one lane of traffic, causing the "whip effect" of slowing and starting traffic all the way back to 7 Mile.

This is just one incident of the many where either the contractor's either unthinking and/or arrogrance is allowed to be of key importance over the needs of the traveling public and the intent of our Freeways to provide speedy transportation routes.

The ultimate responsiblity lies with M-DOT and the governor.

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 177
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can understand your frustration.

However, the construction notice is posted:

IN EFFECT TODAY! Eastbound I-94 from 8 Mile Road to 11 Mile Road
Mon 10/23/06, 8 AM to Tue 10/24/06, 4 PM
Multiple Lane Closure
Details: There will be a double lane closure from 8 Mile Road to 11 Mile Road from 8am to 4pm on Monday, 10/23. This will be reduced to a single lane closure after 4pm until 4pm Tuesday, 10/24.
Macomb County
Expires in 1 day Last updated: 10/23/06 8:33 AM
(from: http://mdotwas1.mdot.state.mi. us/public/LaneClosure/ )

I don't know what work is being done on I-94. Sometimes lanes are closed for mysterious reasons, often unrelated to the most obvious signs of construction. They could be doing sign replacement or bridge inspections, which can take more lanes than pure shoulder work.

If you would like to make a complaint, call the Macomb TSC, 586-978-1935. They may be able to answer any questions.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2965
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since the last repaving of I-94 about 2 years or so ago, there have been some water issues underneath the 10 Mile Rd. overpass. For many months there were flimsy "water on the roadway" signs.

Now I have never seen a flood of water under that bridge, but often there was at least some standing water there (it wasn't draining fast enough?). That may not be what they are working on, but with a lack of visible construction, it sure could be....

Gotdetroit
Username: Gotdetroit

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is what you get when jobs go to the lowest bidder.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 1851
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe you folks should start your own contracting firm. It'd be a huge money maker--apparently your competition is both cheap and stupid, and there is little government oversight.

I wonder how you would take it if a road contractor told you how to do your job.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4434
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Michigan State Flower is orange barrels.
They pop up on I-94 from Porch Urine to Bridgeman, with major bouquets on the Eastside of Detroit and around Battle Creek.

Gistok, too many fish flies clogging the sewers?

jjaba, LOL.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1091
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The underpasses do in fact flood like crazy when it rains. I live right by the venier/8mile bridges, and after they resurfaced the expressway the drainage systems have never worked properly.

Whatever they are doing now, they dont clean up between shifts - they leave everything right where it is causing a backup from 9 mile all the way west towards the City. The morning traffic people on television were also caught off guard, repeatedly saying that barrels would be moved between construction days - only to find out they were still there during rush hour.

So while it is posted and announced, it is not at all proceeding as they promised.

This is a real good post - these damn contractors are just helter skelter about this kind of thing, and there is such massive lack of coordination between work areas. Granholm seems to think that tearing up every possible street surface in Michigan is a great jobs program, according to her last debate. Road construction is not a WPA style "jobs program".

Lemme outta here.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2967
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mauser I agree... they needed to have communicated this. They usually do a pretty good job of giving out weekend closure info, but this one did catch people off guard. Hopefully some folks caught some flack for this one.

I just drove this way (at 10:45 PM Monday night), and only 2 lanes were open (left 2), and no visible construction folks were there. This is only eastbound I-94. Are these barrels (only 2 lanes open) gonna stay for Tuesday AM rush hour and beyond?

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 61
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is trainman when you need him? If we had some buses or trains we wouldn't need to be having this thread.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.