Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Navy Building near Belle Isle Bridge... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 169
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have information on what the plans are for this building?
It's on e. jefferson adjacent to Gabriel Richard park, just east of the Belle Isle bridge.
It looks like its in OK condition and right at the end of the riverwalk.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3954
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Being used to store Parks and Recreation equipment, mowers, tractors, etc.

At the moment, there seems to be no interest by the City for any other usage due the cost of renovation, particularly window replacement, according to City officials that replied to my queries.

(Message edited by JamS on October 22, 2006)

Jams

Post Number: 3955
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally, I'd like to see it used as a combination neighborhood center/ rental facility for weddings, meetings, small trade shows, etc. not dissimilar to the Grosse Pointe War Memorial, especially with its WPA art but the figures for renovation are $2+million.

Tough to justify that money with so many other more pressing issues.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1087
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://detroit1701.org/Brodhea d.htm

William Buck Stratton architect - built in 1930

Priceless WPA murals and amazing woodcarved doors and staircases. Insanely entertaining plaster relief sailor murals in the halls. The GreatLakes Warship murals in the kitchen cafeteria area were painted by Edgar Yaeger who died in 1997.

I went on the tour the last day it was open, there a couple photos of the WPA murals on this post on my site:
http://www.detroitfunk.com/200 6/09/12/more_film_scans.htm

Very cool Pewabic tile work on the front facade. At the time of construction William Buck Stratton and Mary Chase Perry (founder of Pewabic) were married. They fell in love while creating the Watson Street Society of Arts and Crafts building/school in Brush Park. Pewabic was founded in the carriage house of the Ransom Gillis home right around the corner from A&C.

My uncle trained at Brodhead before being shipped out to Viet Nam. He recalls that they made the best ice cream shakes he ever tasted in the cafeteria there for 2$.

After closing and reverting to the City of Detroit its State historical marker has vanished. Ooops.

I assume the interiors will be stripped, stolen etc. and the building will fall into disrepair requiring "emergency" demolition at some point in the near distant future.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1276
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 7:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very nice

Jams

Post Number: 3957
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

...the building is in a precarious state. The original steel casement windows need to be replaced, as well as the heating and cooling systems and the elevator. The deteriorated murals are low on the priority list for the building's restoration, but, nevertheless, are at a critical state.

http://www.daads.org/modern/11 01/brodhead.htm

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Dad was the Bantamweight Champion of Michigan from 1932-34 and was ranked as the number 4 Bantam in the world in 33-34. He fought a lot of his pro fights in the Armory during this time and finished with a record of 58-2-5. The Armory was a major player in the resurgance of boxing in Detroit during the 1930's.

Jams

Post Number: 3962
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"honkey history" ? Thats some dumbass shit to say. Im sure it reads even more ignorantly than was intended.

Mauser,
While I may be presumptious to speak for 56packman, I think it was a moment of frustration speaking. Without trying to out him, his dedication to preservation in this City has been outstanding for decades. He was crawling those abandoned buildings for years before there was any money or interest for them. He and others taught me the "Rules" of urban spelunking long before it was a "cool" thing to do.

He has been involved in restoration and renovation of several of the high recognition projects in this City.

I feel his frustration. My concerns regarding the Brodhead Armory and its potential has come up against rebuff after rebuff from the City, but we keep trying, it took 20 years to get movement on the GAR, maybe we can halve that or get interest in saving and renovating it before it is lost forever.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 604
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There have been at least a couple of offers for the Brodhead Amory from private interests. The offers proposed an arts and culture based adaptive re-use for the building. The city has rebuffed the offers by falling back on its tired "master plan conformity" excuses. The major flaw in each of these private offers was that neither included a Friend of Kwame.

It is well-known that the city has no plans for the building, it has not studied any alternative uses for the building, and it does not have any money or ability to maintain the building. Scrappers have already caused heavy damage, and no effort has been made to repair roof leaks that were occurring when the Marines left.

The city's handling of this architectural gem is fucked up on countless levels.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 679
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city is strapped for cash and putting up all sorts of assets for sale to the highest bidder (ala Rackham & Rouge Park), yet won't field any options for sale and reuse of this building?

Something doesn't add up. If Swingline's assertion is true, someone that is in the know of the facts should notify the fishwraps/local news. Not to say they could effectively investigate and report on it, but to shed some public light on this situation certainly can't hurt or perhaps prod the city into positive action. Just my two cents.

Jams

Post Number: 3964
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swingline,
I aqree.

Other cities in the area use their facilities as revenue producing, while it will not save the City by itself, this facility by itself with the park next door possibly could generate income by use as a rental facilty for a variety of purposes to recoup the cost of renovation.

GP War Memorial, Heritage Parks, Shelby Township and Taylor, Addison Oaks, Glenn Oaks, Warren Valley are some that come to mind.

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 170
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it would make a nice place if it was used like the war memorial, could be a neat wedding/party hall for sure. thanks for the info.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.