Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Out of Town Detroit/World Series Articles « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1418
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thinking it will be easier to have a consolidated thread for posting things more people/city oriented ~

there was a nice column from the NY Post the other day

this from today's Salem, MA paper

Lilpup

Post Number: 1419
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit revels in long-shot World Series bid from Reuters

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1039
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only in Detroit can the homeless be the center of our celebration!

Lilpup

Post Number: 1420
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tigers locked and loaded

Well-rested Detroit has rotation set up, injured players returning.

By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star

DETROIT | This whole city seems to be dancing to a new Motown Sound that has nothing to do with music.

The beat is everywhere and nonstop — from the Renaissance Center to Greektown, inside the Ford Museum, across the bridge to Canada and throughout a seemingly endless array of bowling alleys.

That’s right. It isn’t just cars and tunes around here. Detroit has more registered bowlers than any city in the country.

And tonight, for the first time in 22 years, it has the World Series.

Lilpup

Post Number: 1421
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lakeland, FL Tigertown employees brought up as guests for Games 1 & 2

EARNING THEIR STRIPES

As the Detroit Tigers Head to the World Series, So Does Lakeland

By Rick Rousos
The Ledger
Saturday, October 21, 2006

LAKELAND
There's a lot of the Motor City in Lakeland, particularly in March for Detroit Tigers' Spring Training baseball games. Tonight and Sunday, for the first and second games of the World Series, there'll be plenty of Lakeland in Detroit.

The Tigers have been playing spring baseball in Lakeland since the 1930s and the team and city have developed a strong bond over the decades.

The city has gone out of its way to be hospitable to the Tigers, and team has said thanks by making Lakeland its southern headquarters, its home away from home. A couple of dozen workers are at the Tigertown complex year round.

All of them and their spouses are in Detroit as guests of the Tigers for the first two games of the World Series against the St. Louis Cardinals.

Maria Walls, 58, a Tigertown telephone receptionist for seven years, is so excited about going to Motown for the World Series that she can hardly stand it.

"When they told us the whole staff was going, we really hooted and hollered, and we're all still pinching ourselves," Walls said. "It was a class act by a class organization. They think about their employees and care about them.

"Everyone feels very grateful. It's like an early Christmas," she said. "I'm a huge fan, and I've waited all my life for this."

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7026
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Tigers, Burning Bright in Detroit

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10 /20/AR2006102001263.html

Lilpup

Post Number: 1423
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

did you read the comment on that WP story? Having to watch a download? I think I'd be heartbroken if I wasn't here.

And how much more special that Leyland's from the area Perrysburg Cheering on its Favorite Son in the World Series

Lilpup

Post Number: 1424
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So how many Detroiters will actually be at the games? Or will it be a mixed crowd like the Super Bowl?

Will there be enough to really cheer Tram when he's out there before Game 2?
Trammel is Tiger for life

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2961
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are we still the bowling capital? Or is that just some old statistic from decades ago that no longer has much meaning?

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10782
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

So how many Detroiters will actually be at the games? Or will it be a mixed crowd like the Super Bowl?

Chalk me up for one. I know quite a few Detroit friends whom will be there. I'm guessing I know at least a dozen Detroiters personally who will be there today.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 868
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't have the link, but there was a great article in USA Today on how Toledo is all excited about the World Series. With over a dozen Tigers being former Mudhens, Toledoians (right term?) are relating quite well to Comerica Park right now.

Besides, we all know Toledo is really part of Michigan, don't w?

Lilpup

Post Number: 1426
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here it is Tigers' wild ride has Toledo roots

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 552
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The World Series is not as bad as the Super Bowl, as far as excluding actual fans for corporate sponsors. There will be Tigers fans in Detroit, and Cardinals fans in St. Louis.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.