Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Senior Thesis Topics Redux.... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2841
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, I'm back. Here are some ideas I have on a possible senior thesis topic. I want to look at Detroit since I'm most familiar with this area than I am with Chicago. I would appreciate any comments, suggestions and (new) ideas:

Education
- Milliken v. Bradley (1974), Bussing and School Desegregation
- Multiple Role of Black Teachers on Black Children in Segregated Schools Pre-Brown
- Early Black Educators and their philosophy on advancing the black race (Woodson, DuBois, Washington, Cooper, Mann, and Davis)
- Creating Separate Spaces: African-American Education In Response to Segregation (Afrocentrism, Immersion Schools, etc.)

Urban Social Activism
- Gender and Labor in UAW Strike 1960s
- Black Detroiters, NAACP and Activism 1940s-1950s
- The Impact of Zoning and Urban Renewal on African-American Families in Detroit (and maybe Chicago?)
- Black Women and Welfare Rights Movement (Detroit and Chicago)

Note: I want to do an African-American history senior thesis. Preferably on 20th century dealing with gender, social activism, education, and urbanization.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3046
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Start with the African American experience here, from Black Bottom, to Paradise Valley ( I can probabnly help you with that portion). The Dr. Ossian Sweet incident, to the destruction of the center of black culture with the emplacement of I75.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 739
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 5:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is your major? That would have alot to do with what your topic should be...and is this for undergrad or grad?

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 285
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You might want to contact the Detroit Federation of Teachers and the Archdiocise of Detroit for help.

I am sure they are loaded with retired teachers who could give you insight about how teaching was in the 1960's, heck some even the 1950's!

For urbanization and Detroit you should contact the following areas for expertise:
Wayne State University Department of Geography, and the Walter P Rueuther Library of Urban, Labor, and Metropolitan Affairs.
The Detroit Historical Society

Good luck

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2963
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ltorivia485... why don't you just do your thesis on a topic you are passionate about? It makes it easier to do, and will be more of an enjoyable learning experience, rather than being a chore.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 1850
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope you're not planning to earn a PhD at any point. Where would you ever get inspiration for research topics?

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 683
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look for a book called "Detroit, I Do Mind Dying" about the DRUM movement in the UAW during the 60's and 70's. A bit out of your time line but would shed a lot of light.

http://www.amazon.com/Detroit- Revolution-Updated-Press-Class ics/dp/0896085716

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2047
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As an urban planner I'm a little biased here, but the topic of:

- The Impact of Zoning and Urban Renewal on African-American Families in Detroit (and maybe Chicago?)

would be a great central story with which you could weave in the other thesis ideas. In my opinion zoning (and restrictive deeds/covenants) as well as urban renewal and the highway act play a significant historical role in today's African American community. It's also an area that has a good amount of research available and is a little easier to quatify as far as social measurements go. Origins of the Urban Crisis, Siging in a Strange Land and Arc of Justice all give great in depth overviews of the topic with lots of footnotes to draw more research sources from.

There are still enough folks around that remember Black Bottom first hand before it was dismantled that you could do first hand interviews. There is also a ton of info on Chicago and the movement of the African American community. One nice thing about this topic is that is a partly spatial topic so maps, graphs, etc. can be a powerful part of your paper.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 298
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Restrictive deeds and covenants are not really part of the current zoning vernacular.

BVOS is correct in that these would occur, and they were not just on black folks, some areas wanted no polish, no italians, and everyone have restrictions against jews. What a nice bunch of folks back in the good old days!! No wonder their prgeney out in the far reaches of the burbs are so freaked out and feels scared by blacks and arabs. hmm am I begining to sound like Danny here??

If you follow BVOS' advice, leave zoning out of the queries or you will probably end up with fewer sources.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.