Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Oopsey The Clown « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 368
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone have memories of this TV show? I watched it from 1975 to about 79 or 80.

Was he a later day version of Bozo? (whom I also remember watching as a wee youngster)

I am pretty sure Oopsey was a product of local Detroit TV, but have a vague recolection of his show. I would like to hear any memories or feedback from people who remember watching him.

Thanks in advance, Detroitej72

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 3912
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 4:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob McNea, the guy who played Oopsy just passed away last year. I can't recall where I heard or saw it but was saddened when I had heard it. It was as if a chunk of my childhood had passed.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1079
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 7:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw the Oops live. It was at a crusty old theater somewhere in the City, but I have no idea which one looking back.

Best part of the show: Oopsy screams "Im losing my eyeballs!" and drops rubber balls from his hat which bounced all over the stage and down into the orchestra pit. That shit freaked me out.

Text description

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 337
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember watching before Church on Sundays. Then there would be the old Abbot and Costello movies.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3137
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For more of the same be sure to check out forum member Ed Golicks's http://www.detroitkidshow.com/

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 104
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember the Rita Bell show?

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 341
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The name rings a bell, yes I believe I do

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 72
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After leaving Detroit TV, Oopsey went on to work at CKCO-TV, the CTV affiliate in Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario.

Mrfrench
Username: Mrfrench

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what a fantastic link lowell.
it brings back early childhood trauma of being on the milky the clown show and pissing my pants!!
honest.

Mrfrench
Username: Mrfrench

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

miss cleo...
you win the prize.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1646
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rita Bell...Prize Movie...Channel 7. Was it at 8:30 in the morning? I seem to recall it may have also been shown in the late afternoon at some point.

Rita Bell and Bill Kennedy introduced me to the wonderful world of classic films!!!

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 118
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mother watched Rita Bell Prize movie and Bill Kennedy all the time. I read somewhere that Rita Bell did over 6000 movies between 1959 & 1977.
What about Sir Graves Ghastley

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 136
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm bitter on Oopsy and Bell. I sent him a drawing then watched every weekend for it to be shown on TV as the camera panned the submitted artwork. Nothing! Never made it on the air.

As for Bell, we knew the secret song once and sent in a bunch of postcards. She picked ours shortly after someone else guessed the tune. Bleah! (The song was "A Shot in the Dark" by Henry Mancini.)

Give me another couple decades and I'll get over it.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 460
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oopsy was a strange bird. I tried to interview him for my web site, but he wanted to be paid. He told me that he doesn't do anything for free. After he saw the hits that my site was receiving he told me that he would grant me an interview if I found a copy of a rare Circus book that he was looking for. After a few months he emailed me about granting a free interview when he had the time, but time ran out for Oopsy.

Tammypio
Username: Tammypio

Post Number: 79
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I seem to remember a little mouse, Miser Mouse, on the Oopsy show. I believe there was also a hen that sat on a shelf too...Henrietta? I also remember watching Oopsy on Sundays before church.
Also remember Rita Bell, Bill Kennedy and the 430 movies....all classic Detroit TV!!!
O.T.: Anyone else remember a Sunday morning show called The Doubledeckers? It was a show from London with a bunch of kids and a doubledecker bus. Memories are vague, but I do believe that was it!

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 379
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The name rings a bell, yes I believe I do.

I remember watching before Church on Sundays. Then there would be the old Abbot and Costello movies.

______________________________ ___________________

Miss_cleo, thank you for these posts. This is the first time I was happy to read your postings! Keep up with "real" takes, and I may become a fan of yours!

BTW, I too enjoyed watching the old Abbot & Costello movies afterward.

Detroitej72

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 137
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't that little mouse on Oopsy live in a cash register? Wasn't there a glow worm over by the flower pots?

Tammypio
Username: Tammypio

Post Number: 80
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YES!! Squiggley Wiggley Worm!!! It's all coming back to me now!! Miser Mouse did live in a cash register! (ah yes, the mind full of useless trivia!) Thanks for the reminder!

Ed_golick

Post Number: 461
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a video clip of Bob McNea as Oopsy! Bob Elnicky created the puppets used on the show. He later went on to create and work the puppets for WXYZ's Hot Fudge show.
www.detroitkidshow.com/oops.wm v

(Message edited by Ed Golick on October 21, 2006)

Malcovemagnesia
Username: Malcovemagnesia

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ken was asking about Sir Graves Ghastly... there's a site with a F.A.Q. and message board (apparently the guy is still alive!). Check out SirGravesGhastly.com.

good times!

Ed_golick

Post Number: 462
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lawson Deming is 93 years old and living with his wife in an assisted living community in northern Ohio. He is wheelchair bound but his mind is still sharp.

D2dyeah
Username: D2dyeah

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't there a guy on channel 9 called Morgus? I believe he was on friday nights.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 825
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.morgus.com/
I have a feeling that guy tempted more kids to study science than any school ever hoped to achieve.

(Message edited by Jimaz on October 23, 2006)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.