Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Eastown theater for sale on craigslist « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 410
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://detroit.craigslist.org/ rfs/221880676.html

I have nothing to do with this. I just thought it'd be of interest here.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2946
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Eastown Theatre is the last of Detroit's "outlying giants" as the Theatre Historical Society calls them.

Detroit, like New York and Chicago in the Movie Palace era, had a group of giant neighborhood theatres that were as opulent and nearly as large as the downtown palaces.

Detroit's other great neighborhood theatres were the Hollywood, the Uptown and the Grand Riviera.

It is a pity that the Eastown wasn't located in a better area, such as Midtown. It is really a great theatre with a great building to match.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 89
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But...the location is convenient to Hong Moy
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/85156.html?1161190182

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 662
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok--true words, my friend. The Avalon was also a high-class neighborhood house, not quite as large as the aforementioned. I just don't know how anyone could make a go of the Eastown.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 845
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That seems like a great investment for someone with a good background in residential and entertainment management.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2043
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A $2.5 million price tag and a Craigslist posting makes me real optimistic that this will move soon!

Please, what kind of realtor lists a building of this size on Craigslist? Get a real commercial realtor if you truly care about the place.

Dissaver
Username: Dissaver

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anyone is interested, the Eastown is owned by a church based in Tampa, Deeper Life Christian Ministries. You may have come in contact with their "members" collecting money at local intersections. They bought the Eastown to house their Detroit operations and use the attached apartments for their members. They have let the building fall into a bad state of disrepair. For what its worth, they owe almost $2 million on their mortgage.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 408
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too late, the listing has now been removed from Craigslist.

Detroitej72

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3084
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the forum Dissaver!

Your post got me thinking about the Eastown as a Mega-Church. Because the Eastown is in a very rough neighborhood, business interest is minimal. But the theatre certainly could be restored as a 2,500 seat church.

Using old theatres as a church is nothing new for old movie palaces. In New York Loew's 175th Theatre (a Thomas Lamb atmospheric theatre) is the Reverend Ike's Harlem headquarters. And Loew's Valencia, a John Eberson atmospheric theatre in Queens is also used as a church.

In Los Angeles the United Artists (a fraternal twin of the Detroit UA) is owned a operated by Jehovah's Witnesses.

Although use as a church is not the ideal use of these old movie palaces, they are at least preserved and maintained.

(Message edited by Gistok on November 15, 2006)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.