Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » City Guides - Detroit rarely included. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1146
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Something like this:
http://cityguides.msn.com/spec ials/default.aspx?cp-documenti d=254170&GT1=8633

I always stumble across these when I log out of my hotmail account, and almost never is Detroit an option on the list. While I understand Detroit isn't as "hip" as some of these other places, it is nonetheless still one of the largest cities and metro areas in the nation, and certainly a "hub" city for a large region.

San Jose is not included, but I would attribute this to its proxmity to San Francisco, which is the main city and hub for the bay area region.

Guess I'm just surprised. Not a big deal.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1480
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The same is true in bookstores across the country. Many books covering Michigan but very few or none covering Detroit.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 435
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also questioned this type of thing here
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/76017/79965.html

City Pass http://www.citypass.com/ for instance.

I sent City Pass an e-mail back then with questions like "why not Detroit", they never replied.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1036
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I send them nasty emails whenever I find one we are not included in. Maybe thats why we arent included.

Tiorted
Username: Tiorted

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys are missing the point:
one of the best things about Detroit is the lack of tourists

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 253
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys are missing the point:
one of the worst things about Detroit is the lack of tourists' money.

But really, it's too bad Detroit isn't included more often. There are a lot of great places to visit in the metro.

(Message edited by Jasoncw on October 18, 2006)

Fortress_warren
Username: Fortress_warren

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read a long time ago, Detroit is for people that have relatives there. NO ONE visits Detroit for the experience. I can't think of any reason to visit Detroit, except for the Henry Ford Museum or Greenfield Village. Maybe the Yates Cider Mill.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 562
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I read a long time ago, Detroit is for people that have relatives there. NO ONE visits Detroit for the experience

Not true. I met some tourists on a Pres. Wayne tour last year that did not have relatives here.
I know they aren't the only ones. (Electronic music fest, Super Bowl etc. ring any bells?)

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2044
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have friends and relatives who've come to Detroit to visit me and now make regular trips to the D for sports, cultural, musical, etc. events. In some instances we're never able to make our schedules match up to meet.

Maybe scared suburbanites don't visit the D unless they know someone who lives in the D, but lots of tourists visit Detroit for purely touristic reasons.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.