Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Does anyone recall Transylvania « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Stevedee
Username: Stevedee

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember as a child driving past a location that was named "Transylvania.....". My family used to pass this place frequently but I don't recall where in Detroit it was or what it was. If I had to guess I thought maybe a mobile home park but that's just a guess. I am new to this site and haven't lived in THE D since 75 so clearly my memory is pretty spotty.

Given this is Friday October 13th you might think this post is a joke but it is not.

Thanks and Regards and Go Tigers!!!

Steve

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1239
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a park, amusement I think. Either on Van Dyke or Ryan road.

Stevedee

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am guessing maybe not there anymore? I grew up in a neighborhood Six Mile/Lodge later moving to Farmington Hills before moving to Dallas TX. I don't ever think I set foot in this place I guess the name sort of "scared" me as a kid. Not even sure why it came to mind, nostalgia I guess.

Thanks for the reply!

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1240
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am sure someone will have more info on it.
BTW welcome to the forum.

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Psip,

I think it was located around 10 Mile and Dequindre. They tore it down to put in that industrial park.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1153
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't that a Nintendo game?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 863
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sir Graves Ghastly's home?

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 780
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.sirgravesghastly.co m/

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 376
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you speaking about Transylvania Park? My parent's remember this from the 50's and early 60's. Around 10 Mile and Dequindre.

Long ago torn down for in the name of "progress".

Detroitej72

(Message edited by detroitej72 on October 20, 2006)

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 338
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was there in the early 70's for some sort of Romanian festival with my great grandma

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1305
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember the guy in Roseville who drove a hearse and had a coffin in his front living room ? He always wore a top-hat and a long coat, and was well over 6 feet tall with long red hair. This was year round. That guy was freaky.

Stevedee

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the flurry of replies. Yes I do believe it was called Transylvania Park. Never set foot there(my parents used to take us to Palmer Park when we were young). Planning on visiting Detroit next spring and bringing my daughters to show them where dad grew up(Sorrento & 6 Mile).

GO TIGERS!

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 147
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Incidentally, the man that tore down Transylvania Park to build an idustrial park is the same man that currently owns the David Whitney Building downtown.

Stevedee

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I now recall why I would have frequently passed Transylvania Park...Parents used to go to Hazel Park on a semi-regular basis. Looks like HP is in the general vicinity of where Trans Park was.

Gene
Username: Gene

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Transylvania Park was located on the Warren (east) side of Dequindre just north of the former Galaxy Drive-in. The park was owned by a church. The entrance was framed in sort of a arch like fence with a green sign at the top signifing Transylvania Park and the name of the Church that I do not recall.

Stevedee

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Gene. You nailed it. That's exactly how I remember it.

Regards,

Steve

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1094
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THE PARK WAS OWNED BY A CHURCH??

Would a church ever operate a vampire themed park today?

Weird.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.