Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Detroit Public Schools, General Discussion « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 214
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We all know about the current state of the Detroit Public Schools. Over 60 years DPS has fallen from the model for urban schools to the scum of the american public school system. However there are a few bright spots within the distric.

Michigan teacher of the year, Principal of the year, as well as a few other distinguishing awards have been bestowed upon DPS over the last year.

I would like to discuss the current state of the public high schools. What schools have a positive outlook? What schools are in dire need of change?

My research and work related studies have lead to a theory that school consolidation at the high school level may be hurting the quality of education for detroit teens. Sure it might be good for the budget, but that's not the goal of the school system.

I'd like to get some general opinions about DPS high schools. TIA.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 103
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont think DPS is the scum of american public school systems all major cities like Chi town or NYC have shitty public schools. And I should mention that there are alof of DPS students up here at MSU and at alot of other colleges so its not all bad.

I graduated from Murray Wright HS about 4 years ago and it was going to hell in a handbasket seriously there was no discipline or order to anything. I remember taking the MEAP HS test in the library with no administrator or no one to proctor the test, people were playing cards and joking instead of givin a fuck about their future. The teachers seem to be well intentioned I had some teachers that pushed students who seemed like there going to be worthwhile even though they did a poor job prepping kids for college. There are also alot of programs available for students to help them get in and pay for college but alot of students dont pursue them maybe because they dont know or they just dont want to. My sister is smarter than me so she goes to cass and from what I gather it is a school that produces good students so its not every school like you think there are a good deal of good schools in the DPS.

I think the problem just as much as DPS itself the parents of the students who need to step up and take responsibility for their dumb ass kids that therye raising to be drains on the economy. Like I said the teachers are well intentioned and our technology and course material wasnt THAT outdated. Classes were crowded but there are more people in lecture halls here at MSU and everybody seems to do just fine. It was more so the culture of the students and parents (at MW atleast) that was the problem everybody thought they were just too hood, they had Tupac or Big instead of a real father or role model to look up to and that in itself is a problem but that might be for another thread. Hope that helps.

(Message edited by mayor_sekou on October 12, 2006)

Detroitstar

Post Number: 215
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mayor, email if you dont mind... chris@detroitstar.org

(Message edited by DetroitSTAR on October 12, 2006)

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1611
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are those cited awards based on actual merit or upon pity or public relations (or any other reasons--Go ahead! Pick one...) instead? Are they comparable to being the world's largest midgets?

Detroitstar

Post Number: 216
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To be honest, those honors were cited to me during interviews with school administrators. I cannot speak as to who the awards were sponsored by.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 636
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there any way to have this discussion without you oozing contempt all over the forum, LY?

Detroitstar

Post Number: 217
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got to be honest, I've never attended DPS. However, I work with current students from 7 of the high schools. I get opinions from each of them that all seem to be contradictory. Even schools located just down the road from each other seem to have curriculums that are completely different.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1613
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While cackling over and stirring her brew, a frequent poster oozed this: "Is there any way to have this discussion without you oozing contempt all over the forum, LY?"

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 606
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan Teacher of the year for 2006 is a DPS elementary teacher. The award is prestigious statewide award.

Go here to see who this year's winner is:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20060601/NEW S01/606010444&SearchID=7324693 5126579

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1614
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure that the cited teacher is fine. But seriously, are these kinds of awards really bestowed on the **best**?

Somehow, these kinds of awards can easily be cooked and are probably quite subjectively granted.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 607
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am cynical about awards (because I have been responsible for giving a few and know the political issues that can enter into the discussion) and I wondered that too, when I saw the Free Press article. But then I saw that the DPS teacher is not African American and not a Detroit resident.

If the award had been politically motivated rather than merit-based, wouldn't you expect that they would have made sure that the honoree was African-American and a Detroit resident (as I said, I am sometimes cynical)?

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 104
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure I dont mind emailing you id be happy to help. What do you need me to do?

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1615
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Principal's "honor" rolls are another issue. I was visiting a below-average Downriver school around 2000 which posted their honorees on the walls or doors. Some classes had about 60% of their 4th or 5th graders on it. Knowing many of them, there was no way that they would make an honest honor roll!

I remember watching local TV when a reporter visited a suburban school for some local news about honor rolls. One girl was asked if she was on the honor roll and if she was excited about it. She said she wasn't at all because nearly everybody was on it and many of them weren't worthy of it...

Detroitstar

Post Number: 220
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just have a couple questions that might be taken out of context on the forum.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 698
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm willing to help Detroitstar...I have news and info from the front lines. I work at Cooley High.

Histeric
Username: Histeric

Post Number: 729
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Time for some bragging. My two DPS educated children took the NCLB inspired Terra Nova that is administered to 1st graders nationwide. My daughter tested in the top 4% of the country and her younger brother recently tested in the top 1% of the country. DPS is working just fine for our family.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8883
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sadly at one time these types of issues could be discussed openly on this forum. But this place has become so entrenched with narrow minded people and those who are either biased or have agenda's and are unwilling to open up to new ideas or critic...how sad.

See some posts above for example.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 699
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D-Star, I emailed you at the address you provided above to offer my assistance.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 221
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks teacher. I appreciate it.

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 114
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah im sending you an email now send any questions you want me to answer there and ill be happy to help.

(Message edited by mayor_sekou on October 12, 2006)

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 319
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Time for some bragging. My two DPS educated children took the NCLB inspired Terra Nova that is administered to 1st graders nationwide. My daughter tested in the top 4% of the country and her younger brother recently tested in the top 1% of the country. DPS is working just fine for our family.

The real test of wether DPS is any good will come in High school as they get older and their attitude changes.

Histeric

Post Number: 730
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They will go to RenCen, Cass or Performing Arts, all of which are excellent schools that perform as well or better than any school in the state. We are not concerned. We leave that to those who know nothing about Detroit but always seem to have an opinion, fear, judgement, or some other misinformed position.

You worry about the billy bobs in your neck of the woods miss_cleo and I will worry about my children. Having grown up in the suburbs, gone to high school in Leelanau, and spent most of my adult life in Detroit, I think I have a pretty good handle on our options.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 700
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Normally, if kids do well in lower grades and have good family support, they will weather high school just fine, no matter where they go. I am worried about the kids who have no family support and structure in their lives, these are the kids that get lost and don't do well in school, high school or otherwise.

Histeric

Post Number: 736
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correct Detroitteacher. And that is not your fault, the fault of DPS, or any other government entity. It is a result of bad parenting, plain and simple. That doesn't worry us as it relates to our children but my heart goes out to the children you speak of and those like yourself trying to help the situation.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8893
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about the other schools that don't have the luxuries that the above schools have? I believe that blame does fall on the admin. of the DPS and the parents and students themselves; With regards to work ethic.
If only we had more teachers like Detroiteacher we all would be in a much better place.

(Message edited by GOAT on October 13, 2006)

Histeric

Post Number: 741
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What luxuries are you talking about Goat? The main difference between magnet schools and neighborhood schools is the level of parent involvement. By the very nature of the magnets (application process, waiting list, zero tolerance for bad behavior, minimum academic standards)they attract the most involved of the parents. As for facilities, materials, etc., they are no different than any other schools. Burton International, where my children attend, is an old school, not especially well maintained, etc. The real difference is the family situations of the kids.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 701
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do find that many more parents are involved with schools such as Ren., Cass, and Performing Arts type schools. Just talking with teachers from those buildings, they are shocked at what I see in my building (as far as Parent involvement, the lack of respect kids have for teachers, the lack of technology, supplies and extra curriculars). We get MANY kids who did not make the grades at the magnets and are at Cooley to raise their GPA in order to re-apply to those schools. It doesn't help the situation (at least for teachers who are trying to expose our kids to technology) that Coleman et al, really don't care about tech., and would rather give contracts to ill equipped companies because their buddies are involved. We already have little to no technology in our building and this is only making matters worse.

The best kids (and those with few behavior issues) are the kids whose parents I see at Parent Teacher Conferences. Those aren't the parents I really need to talk to...but I can't seem to get the other parents to give a damned and I have precious little time to convince parents that their kids are important. While they are in MY room, I treat them as I would my own child and the kids appreciate it. More than a few have told me that if it weren't for me and others like me keeping on them about school, they probably would have dropped out because no one at home cared. SAD!! I see about 10 parents out of the 250 kids I have...that is next to no parent involvement. The 10 I see are my honor kids' parents. I would love to see the rest (or at least have a working phone number so that I can reach them to keep them abreast of their child's progress and what they need to work on at home).

So parents, espeically of kids at the high school level, we need you to get involved, come to parent teacher conferences, college night, senior parent meetings and LSCO meetings. GET INVOLVED and that will make everyone's job easier, including your kids!!

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1856
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livernoisyard, you need to stop. You don't live in Detroit. The comments you made earlier were about "Downriver" schools that you experienced, yet your contention is with Detroit Public Schools. Two different animals.

Why don't you just admit that you can't stand the time you spent here in Michigan? The fact that you don't live here but yet you comment on things like you do is ludicrous. Why do people like you and your Wisconsin buddy, Milwaukee, continue to talk about Detroit like you live here?

I haven't seen the term used on this forum in a while, but, Livernoisyard, you are a "troll." That's someone who just lurks on this forum spewing out one negative comment after another, offering nothing positive. Go to MilwaukeeYes.com if you want to be negative, and if they don't have a forum like this, then create one.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 702
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, Royce!!

While you're at it Livernois, can I get you to make up some folios for my kids (like they did in that private school in some other state 50 years ago). I need 250 of them that follow all the state benchmarks and standards. I also need a working computer with Internet in my room so I can get the technology standard in my curriculum. You'll have to make copies at Kinkos because we don't have a working copy machine in our building, at your own expense of course! Oh and we'll need folders in which to put all these folios. My kids need engaging activities thrown in there and I also need some accomodations because I am the inclusion teacher and have half of the special ed kids in my classes. I'd also enjoy having an electrician come in and put in a plug so that I can use an overhead projector (I need one of those and those clear plastic sheets, too) because I have a limited board and have three different classes (grades) and none meet one right after the other (this will save on chalk and precious time so I don't have to continually write everything on the board because I can't make copies). I know I've left some things off my wish list but I don't think I am asking for anything unreasonable.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 320
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is all the tax money and lottery money that is supposed to go to the schools going???????

Rossco
Username: Rossco

Post Number: 58
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is directed primarily to Detroitteacher, but I'd like to hear others views as well. With all of the recent school attacks, would you feel safer if teachers were armed?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5073
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's some best way fix our Detroit Public Schools with pointing blaming fingers at each other or waiting for the government to give them some grant money:

1. Conserve of what you have, all DPS Teachers must chip in their paychecks to but other school surplies for their students.

2. DPS staff must intervene in the ghettohoods of Detroit, reach out to those broken homes and help the parent(s) with their child get a head start in life.

3. The parent(s)themselves must intervene by forming their own Parent Teacher Association so that the parent(s) and teachers can regulate the educational and extra-cirricular activities to their children.

4. Since DPS have a voc. tech schools get the students to the learn outside workforce. Some of them may not get into college, but the this new workforce community based instruction program would work for them.

5. Get the students to work smarter on Mathematics that way when the MEAP and ACT test season comes, they would easily accomplished their math skills are college.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3105
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a former teacher and from a family of teachers, the simplest test of a school is the the "2 P's" test. Parental involvement and Principal. If both of those two factors are in place and rate highly, a child will come out better educated from a country school in a third world country than a well endowed first world school.

The conversation above confirms that.

Yes, facilities, equipment and other factors certainly help, but without the two P's, they will be largely wasted.

If anyone is looking for a school for their kid, look for that first. If it isn't there move on and don't be distracted by any glitz or hype.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1618
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many suburban Detroit schools have active (grand)parental input, such as unpaid, volunteer librarians, lunchroom and hall monitors, answering phones during lunch or school events so that the principal or staff can take breaks, etc. OTOH, other schools expect each and every of those positions to be paid and some go as far as to want them to be unionized (and overtime paid, if "teachers" do them).

Danny

Post Number: 5076
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell is right on the money.

DPS needs those 2P's tactics is ensure better quality education in public schools in America KIDS come first before profits vouchers, grants, glitzy and hype.

Livernoisyard,

You and your suburbantopian schools! So what they have the best educated programs and diversed students. However it's not going to last for long. There are some suburbantopian public schools are in the brink on self-destruction and here's a list:

GARDEN CITY PUBLIC SCHOOLS

LINCOLN PARK PUBLIC SCHOOLS

LIVONIA PUBLIC SCHOOLS

PONTIAC PUBLIC SCHOOLS

Danny

Post Number: 5077
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When folks started to leave in the inner ring suburbs so will the suburbantopian public schools. That's what happen to Livonia Public Schools.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 704
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rosco, the answer to your question is NO! I would not feel safer if teachers were armed. We have security and police presence in the building (most of the time). I don't want teachers to have to take on the responsibility of being armed. There are some nutty teachers out there who don't need guns. I'd just have to fear the teachers, not the kids. If teachers have a good rapport with the kids then there are few problems. As far as outsiders in the building, well, that can happen anytime and anywhere (an attack).

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 705
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny, hate to disappoint you but we already do buy supplies and already reach out. It's not my job to tell a parent how to raise their child and I would never be so bold. The problem is with parents who are not involved and have no desire to become involved. Each school does have a parent group. Our parent group consists of two parents. They can't accomplish much. There have been meetings of this group in which no one but the two parents attended. What you suggest is already in place but no one participates. I should NOT have to chip in part of my PAYCHECK to buy supplies for my employer. I, too, hae a family to support and can't afford to support everyone else's kids and my employer when it is THEIR responsibility to supply the necessary items for their children/buildings to run and be successful.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 706
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To answer Livernois solution of suburban schools having parent volunteers...they, too, must go through a stringent background check, be fingerprinted, etc. Not too many parents are willing to go through all that just to volunteer a few hours. This is mandated by the state and it must be done prior to any adult working in a school building.

Also, it is not a teacher's job to answer phones. My job is to educate kids. I already lose my prep period by having to cover classes. I do need time to prepare (and to write everything on the board for three different classes), grade papers, etc. I don't have enough time to eat my OWN lunch, let alone worry about the Principal or staff (who get a lunch hour everyday...and breaks) getting a break. I haven't seen our Principal in over a week as he hasn't been to work. I really don't care if he gets a break or not. I can't even manage to go to the restroom because I am manning the halls during passing, helping kids out before and after class, making sure I am prepared for the incoming class, organizing turned in work, etc. I already volunteer to the point of exhaustion after school so that kids can have a positive high school experience. Many nights I don't leave work until after 6pm. I still have to grade those papers and attend my classes and be there for MY family. Would I trade it all in for another job...NO. But I am not and can not volunteer to do anymore than I already do and neither can many of my colleagues.

(Message edited by detroitteacher on October 14, 2006)

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 707
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Suburban schools are a totally different animal than urban schools. What works there rarely works in urban school settings. Same goes for charters and private schools. I've seen the inner workings of all three and not one can be compared to the other. Each have its own special set of issues and circumstances. Just as each child learns differently, each school works differently.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3905
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Detroitteacher,
Arming Detroit or any other teachers is a ridiculous issue.

She has been pleading on this forum for quite a while for an understanding that her main concern is being able to teach.

Why is that so hard to understand?

Can no one understand a loss of a generation due to political BS about what should or should not be done creates a "lost" generation never to be recovered.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1619
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"To answer Livernois solution of suburban schools having parent volunteers...they, too, must go through a stringent background check, be fingerprinted, etc. Not too many parents are willing to go through all that just to volunteer a few hours. This is mandated by the state and it must be done prior to any adult working in a school building."

About the hardest thing about the background check is driving out there and filling out a few sheets at Wayne RESA and paying a few bucks. The schools would probably gladly pay for that, considering all the cost savings. It probably hasn't changed much since the few minutes it took me during the 1990s.

Why is it that the Royce/DT types are always wanting to needlessly complicate already simple issues? Might it be that both of them bring in substantial household revenue through DPS employment? [a rhetorical question--but an answer might help]

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 708
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They wouldn't pay for MY background checks and fingerprints (which all teachers must go through AGAIN). Why would an ailing district pay for those who MIGHT come in for a few hours and never show up again? I didn't get the luxury if going to Wayne RESA, I had to go to the Detroiot PD and sit next to criminals...Think again Livernois, oh ye who doesn't even live around here.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 709
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In answer to Livernois assumption that I bring in a "substantial household revenue" from working in DPS...I don't. I live modestly. My income is the ONLY income coming into my household (and I support a child on my own). What does it matter that I earn a living as a teacher? I have to eat, pay bills, etc., just like the rest of the world. I have no revenue, what I bring in, goes back out for living. I have no nest egg (I can't, I'm too busy buying supplies for my EMPLOYER). I give much more than I receive in my job. Can we say the same for you Liverois? Or are you a spoiled rich kid who doesn't have to work for a living. You bring in a revenue from your employer but I suspect that you don't have to buy your own supplies in order to do your job or bail your employer out when they spend money that they don't have on worthless contracts for their friends.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 710
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Question for Livernois: What district did you go through the fingerprinting and background check for?? Certainly not Detroit. My guess is one of those failing districts downriver you keep mentioning. Why did you leave? Were you a volunteer? I am guessing not.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 322
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was a volunteer in Fraser, before we moved and there was no background check or fingerprinting............ther e isnt here in Charelvoix either. Is this a Detroit thing?

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1839
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spare us the bullshit Miss Cleo it is common for school employees i.e. teachers, social workers , aides et,al to be fingerprinted.Just go to any Police station in August and see it.

Rossco

Post Number: 59
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tend to agree with you Detroitteacher, I'm just totally shocked that part of your contract was "transferring students who attacked teachers to other schools", WTF, these punks should be in juvie..not in the public school system where they can attack another teacher. Maybe they should (at a minimum) provide you with bulletproof vests.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 351
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"In 2005, the Michigan Legislature passed the "Student Safety Initiatives," a package of bills passed earlier this year after more than two dozen convicted sex offenders were found working in Michigan schools, The Press reported. Schools will be required to fingerprint and conduct FBI background checks on all employees, even those who have been fingerprinted before or have no contact with students, The Press reported. State law has required background checks on new teachers since 1993. Fingerprinting will cost about $74 per employee and must be completed by Jan. 1, 2008." [source]

To become a substitute teacher last year in a suburban school district, I paid $54 out of my own pocket for an ink-type fingerprinting. The new law mandates digital fingerprinting, so I will have to go through the process again before the end of 2007 and I am sure it will cost me more than the ink fingerprinting did.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 711
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fingerprinting and background checks go for anyone coming into contact with students at a school. This includes parent volunteers, the lawn maintenance company guys, painters, tech folks, etc. Since Detroit now contracts those positions, instead of having the SAME people (employees of the district) that is going to present some issues unless a company already does this on their own.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 712
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rosco, I don't have problems with kids attacking me. I was verbally attacked by a student (he was a new transfer from a boys detention facility) and the students in my class chased him down the hall. Needless to say, I had to throw a fit to get him out of my class (for his own safety). The boys wanted to hurt him for verbally attacking me. I have a great rapport with my students and they tend to protect those they like. I have also tried to break up fights in the halls and the boys have pulled me out of the chaos and mayhem. I was told they wouldn't let me get in there to get hurt. It is unfotunate that our contract had to include the transfer of such miscreants who assault teachers. I don't think a transfer is going to solve the problem. I have always said these are the kids who need counseling. I was threatened on my third day on the job (10 years ago) and was told I better have a bullet proof vest on when I left the building. The kid was taken out of school in handcuffs, did a stint in juvie for the threat and came back right as rain. He even apologized. I didn't hold it against him and welcomed him back in class. Obviously his stint in juvie got to the real issue (as most of these kids see this behavior at home,videos, etc). He turned out to be one of my best students, academically. Once students get to know a teacher and trust that teacher, they will do everything in their power to protect that teacher. It's not the kids I am worried about, it's the outsiders coming into the building through one of 40 unlocked doors (because of fire regulations).

Rossco

Post Number: 60
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All I have to say is God Bless You Detroitteacher and we'll keep you in our prayers. Rossco and family.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 713
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 327
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit needs a Metropolitan wide School District. The problems would be gone overnight if inner city and suburban schools all had to be funded equal, and have the same standards.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 358
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miketoronto, one of the reasons, I believe, that Toronto works so well is that you have a form of metropolitan government, don't you? Citizens can not run further out to escape urban problem as frequently happens here. You're all in it (whatever "it" may be) together, so you are better able to work together for the common good.

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 245
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have one word for Livernois yard, Miss Cleo and others who can only whine in response to those of us who are loving living here and whose children are thriving in DPS -- ENVY.

From another DPS parent whose children have scored at or near the very top of the national standardized tests like Terra Nova. Whose daughter won the the Motor City Spelling Bee last year. And whose school likewise is in the top ranks of Michigan elementary schools on the MEAP. My wife and I grew up in and went through public schools in Birmingham and Livonia. We've compared the scores of our kids DPS school to the elementary schools there where our siblings kids go. Our DPS school is better or equal on every score. And it is not just the test results. We are there every day. I wouldn't trade the best teachers in our school for anyone at Cranbrook or Country Day. I know they have good teachers there; but I know better that we have good teachers here.

One of the good things about our school is that it starts at 8:15 and we leave the house at 8:15, and we dont even have to cross any streets to get there.

We can also watch the Tigers win the AL in a sports bar in the shadow of Comerica Park, hear the crowd's positve roar before we see the Tigers score on TV, get the EXTRA papers outside the park, and walk home. Your kids can't get that kind of education in Charlevoix. I've been to Charlevoix, it is beautiful and I have no reason to say anything negative about it. But it's a small town. Nor have I anything against suburbs like Livonia and Birmingham. But those places are just not for me. I like life in the big city and so do my kids.

Funny thing is that if the whiners didn't care about big cities they wouldn't even be lurking here. It's a shame that fear keeps the joy that I know is here out of their hearts.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1620
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI

DPS

Detroit Public Schools (DPS) is a school district that covers all of the city of Detroit, Michigan, United States. The student population of the Detroit Public Schools is projected to be about 104,000 in Fall 2006, after a projected loss of 25,000 students, and was 129,150 (revised from 130,600) as of November 2005, a drop of 11,500 students and $61.9 million in funding from 2004. Auditors consistently denounced the district for overestimating the number of students.

The district consists of 220 schools: 147 elementary, 31 middle, 28 high schools; and 10 adult education and 4 vocational education schools. In addition to ten newly built schools (eight elementary, two middle), five area high schools have either been remodeled or have new buildings. More than half of the city schools were built before 1930.

History

In the early 1970s, the federal courts ordered busing to desegregate the system, which helped to accelerate the white flight that had been on-going within the city. As of 2004, Detroit schools were 91% African-American.

In the mid to late 1990s, the Michigan Legislature removed the locally elected board of education amid allegations of mismanagement and replaced it with a reform board appointed by the mayor and governor. The elected board of education returned following a city referendum in 2005. The first election of the new eleven member board of education, with four chosen at-large and seven by district, occurred on November 8, 2005.

Today

Because of rapidly declining enrollment, the Detroit Public Schools has a goal of closing 95 schools by 2009. Detroit Public Schools has closed 29 schools due to declining enrollment, and the state mandated deficit reduction plan calls for the closure of a total of 110 schools. In May 2006, the Detroit Public School Board voted to close 7 schools, down from 20-30 under the previous deficit elimination plan, and borrowed $200M to keep the school system budget balanced. This follows a similar media campaign.

In June 2006, the DPS board approved a $1.4B budget, a drop of $44M, or about 3% eliminating 800 jobs, cutting non-union salaries 10%, and school supplies 13%. The budget anticipated a loss of 9,000 students in the next school year (approx 6.9%). A US Department of Education audit for 2003-2005 found that the district misspent $930,448 intended to increase parental invovlement on items like duplicate salaries, job perks, or entertainment, so it must also repay those federal grants next year. The district sought labor union concessions of $105 million, and the Detroit Federation of Teachers expects 300-500 teachers to retire or resign this summer. Additionally, principals and assistant principals will not receive the second half of their raises expected this year.

Financial Difficulties

Due to declining enrollment, some believe that the Detroit Public Schools are heading towards fiscal collapse leading to another state takeover. The loss in 2006 of about 25,000 students will likely require immediate and severe action, including closing schools and reducing staff. To encourage students to attend on count day, Wednesday, September 26, the attendance date for establishing state funding, DPS used a media campaign and givaways including flat panel TVs, lunches with celebrities, and free grades. Total spending was $100,000 for attendance promotions on that day, including $40,000 in donated funds and $60,000 in school funds. Some were offended.

The State Department of Education calculated that total per student funds for Detroit Public Schools are $11,631 per year, including federal, state, and local contributions.

An audit of The School District of the City of Detroit’s Administration of Parental Involvement Funds Under the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 found that DPS used funds for unallowable or improperly documented purposes, didn't ensure that its contractors performed in accordance with the terms of the contract, didn't correctly report budgeted expenditures, misclassified expenditures, and that their policy didn't include all of the required elements.

In 1994, the voters approved a $1.5 billion bond issue to be used for capital improvements. Many people have called for an audit of this money, saying that they've seen very little benefit from the bond. DPS is currently seeking voter approval for an additional $1.5 billion bond issue for additional capital improvements. The average age of a student "seat" is 60 years.

Due to the disagreement over $250 million in debt created during the takeover from 1999-2005, State Rep. Lamar Lemmons III proposed that it be forgiven, or Detroit would withhold $40 million annually in casino money it was to pay to the state of Michigan. Contractors are largely accused of wasting taxpayer dollars during the takeover, so the board cut a proposed contract with Filmore Construction from $6.6 million to only $2 million and one year.

From previous bonds, DPS owes the State of Michigan $510 million, and many Detroiters are calling on the state to forgive that debt, pointing out that some of it was created by the deficits made by the reform board imposed by the state (although they issued no bonds), and some further oppose this bond issue because of this additional state debt. A state overseer already automatically sets aside about one quarter of state funding for debt repayment of state bonds.

On May 11, 2006, the Detroit School Board voted to borrow up to $200 million to cover short term spending.

Employee Relations

The relationship between the Detroit teachers union and the Detroit Public Schools has been weakened by the financial hardships of the district. In an agreement with the union, teachers loaned the district 5 days of pay in fall 2005. However, on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 Some of the teachers staged a "blackboard flu" in protest of administrators raises from 4.7% to 10.6%. 53 schools were closed, and 36,000 kids were sent home early. The median base pay for elementary school teachers in Detroit is $52,063, with total compensation at $71,964, and for High School teachers it base salary is $54,286 and total compensation is $74,808.

In the 2006 contract negotiations, the district sought $88 million in reductions, but the Detroit Federation of Teachers (representing 7,000 teachers and 2,500 other employees) and other unions fought further pay cuts, and the district threatened to lay off 2,000 union employees in response. On Tuesday, August 22nd, thousands of DPS teachers protested further pay cuts, and demanded a pay increase. A district spokesman said that pay cuts for teachers was a necessary requirement for balancing the school's budget. [32]. Teachers held a strike vote on Sunday, August 27, 2006. The Teachers agreed to go on strike, closing school for three days and shortening the first day of school.

The Detroit Federation of Teachers requested a 15.6% pay increase for the highest income teachers, pointing out that they're making less than their counterparts in the suburbs. The median teacher pay for the Detroit Public Schools is $70,046, while the median teacher pay in the tri-county area is $76,100. Teachers concessions were still below the state mandated deficit reduction plan, and a prolonged strike was averted primarily because both sides recognized the threat of more children leaving the DPS for charter schools. In an appeal to teachers who are considering a wildcat strike, Detroit Superintendant William F. Coleman III argued that a strike would encourage more children to leave the district for suburban schools of choice and charter schools, exhasperating problems and forcing more layoffs and program cuts. Some blame the state takeover for the strike.

The teachers went on strike. County Circuit Court Judge Susan Borman ruled on September 8th 2006 that the teachers must return to work the following week. However, teachers defied this order.

On Wednesday, September 13, teachers approved a new contract brokered by Mayor Kilpatrick, with 0 precent, 1 percent, and 2.5 percent pay increases over 3 years, repayment of pay previously loaned by teachers, health care concessions, and some concessions regarding teacher preparation time and legal services. Teachers who are retiring are generally unhappy with the terms, which limit their pensions, and the school district is still seeking ways to save additional money to balance its budget. Detroit mayor Kawame Kilpatrick brokered the deal.

Preliminary district enrollment figures show that the district is down 25,000 students, or more than twice as many as the 10,000 student loss originally budgeted. To maintain the current student teacher ratio, the number of teachers would need to be reduced from 7,000 to 5,621; 1,379 or 19%.

DPS pays 14.55% of each employee's salary to the Office of Retirement Services to cover the costs of participation in the Michigan Public School Employees' Retirement System.

In 1999 Detroit teachers staged a wildcat strike, using the slogan "Books, Supplies, Lower Class Size!"

Student Achievement

In a report from Education Research Center, Detroit Public Schools ranked last among 50 large school districts for the percentage of students who receive a high school diploma on time. DPS officials indicated that the report didn't take into account the large numbers of students that it lost to suburban and charter schools.

A study of the estimated 25,000 students lost after the DPS teachers strike in Fall 2006 suggests that substantial numbers of them dropped out during the strike.

At the Annual National Academic Games Olympics, DPS students won 25 individual and 20 team first place awards.

103 of Detroit Public School's 225 schools did not meet the goals in the Federal No Child Left Behind Act, up from 63 last year. Barbour Magnet Middle School met the federal standards for the first time in years. It would have been closed in June had it not met standards.

Charter School Competition

Detroit also has a public charter school system with about 54,000 Detroit students. When charter school and Detroit Public Schools enrollments are combined, the total number of children in public schools in Detroit has increased. If the current growth trends continue, more of Detroit's public school students will be attending charter schools than the Detroit Public Schools during the 2009-2010 school year. This shift is sometimes called "black flight".

Officials at the Detroit Public Schools and Detroit Federation of Teachers oppose expansion of charter schools. Despite this, a new high school "University Prep-Math and Science" is in progress of obtaining a charter. It will begin with 7th and 8th grades in 2008. A previous plan for 15 new charter high schools was scuttled. Philanthropist Bob Thompson is backing this new high school.

University Preparatory Academy are elementary, middle, and high schools which have shown test scores well above Detroit Public Schools averages and near Michigan statewide averages.

Contractors

The District recently replaced Compuware as its main IT contractor in favor of four minority owned firms. The contract is for 5 years, and worth $58 million. VisionIT seeks to advance Hispanic, Native American and African-American professionals. Compuware has protested the move, claiming that it has saved the district money while improving services, and that the new contractors may send jobs out of state. The board did not consider moving IT servics back in house. Compuware and Strategic Staffing Solutions have appealed the contract, pointing to internal memos which they say show that the disctrict's selection process was flawed.

The Detroit Public Schools has adopted a $21.7 million food service contract with Philadelphia-based Aramark Educational Services. Members of the public, including members of Call 'Em-Out have criticized the contract. Call 'Em-Out continues to protest the contract.

On September 25, 2006, the board approved $16.3 million in contracts, including $6 million to apple computer for lease of student laptops, $3 million with Allied Waste Services of Detroit, and $2.4 million for snow removal with 6 companies. The vote of suspended member Thornton was not recorded.

Detroit Public Schools superintendant William F Coleman urged Julias Bender of Information Systems Group to hire his friend Ruben Bohuchot. ISG was then part of a winning bid for IT services, replacing Compuware. The board is considering rebidding the contract due to the apparent impropriety.

Elected Officials

Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, who spearheaded a failed Proposal-E in 2005 to run the schools, is considering another proposal to do the same in 2006.

On September 14, the board voted 8-3 to suspend elected member Marie Thornton for 60 days. Some observers felt that this was in retaliation for her past and presnent objections to many contracts, including a contract with Hercules voted on at the same meeting. She was also barred from "Informal Sessions" between the school board and administrators, which are not subject to the open meeting act, and which she claims are illegal. No discussion was allowed before the motion was approved, and she was only there because two citizens drove several hours to pick her up from Kalamzoo at the last minute. She also reportedly recorded informal sessions and disclosed information to the public without authorization from the board. She was suspended under the board's decorum policy. Board members ignored her vote at subsequent meetings.

Miscellany

Detroit Public Schools has shown strong interest in having some same sex schools, and the state of Michigan is considering legislation to allow it. The ACLU and many residents opposes the plan.

Detroit Public Schools has created a district wide uniform dress code. This includes mandatory identification badges. Several schools, including Mackenzie High already had uniform dress codes. Some parents have failed to send their children to school due to a lack of uniforms.

The group the Coalition to Defend Affirmative Action, Integration, and Immigrant Rights & Fight for Equality By Any Means Necessary (BAMN) has close ties to Detroit Public Schools teachers and students in Michigan.

Auto supplier ArvinMeritor and Southwestern High School have a strong cooperative relationship, in which students and former students of the high school largely make up the staff of the auto supplier, and the auto supplier makes generous donations to the high school.

On July 31, 2006, the Detroit Public Schools announced a $500,000 media campaign with the theme "Come Home to DPS" focusing on unique and high achieving students and programs in the district. The purpose of the program is to attract families who are increasingly sending their children to charter schools. Referring to the loss of students, Lekan Oguntoyinbo, district spokesman, was quoted as saying, "If we don't do anything, pretty soon we're not going to have a school district." Some observers indicated that the program may already be too late, as many parents decide where to send their children in the spring, rather than late summer.

On March 29, 2006, students at Mackenzie High in Detroit staged a walkout to protest the lack of textbooks and toilet paper. 32 were arrested, with 8 charged for disorderly conduct, and 1 for inciting to riot. Students complained that they had only one textbook per 3 students, an administrator had an expensive plasma television, amid allegations of a missing $3,000, and leaking roofs which damaged 45 new computers in storage. The Detroit police department also enforced the parental responsibility act, fining parents up to $500 for the behavior of their children. The ACLU is considering challenging the parental responsibility ordinance.

On Tuesday, April 11, 2006, 50 Detroit Police officers were sworn in to patrol the Detroit Public Schools. 48 of them were laid off former officers, and two already worked for the school district. Their wages are paid by the district.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1033
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DPS is a diseconomy of scale. As such, it should be subdivided into smaller, more manageable units, with greater local accountability and control.

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3038
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many suburban school district are over rated and have abysmally poor records of overall student achievement.

No Child Left Behind showed this with astounding clarity.

DPS does better than most big city urban districts, and its graduates are among the leading business, political, social, and cultural leaders of the nation.

The district needs to tell its story better and Silence its critics with continued performance.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 714
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 7:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: and borrowed $200M to keep the school system budget balanced. This follows a similar media campaign.

They borrowed this sum of money from the TEACHERS.

Livernoise: What does your copy and paste post have to do with anything. Tell me something I DON'T know. Please cite your source as dictated in the conditions of participation.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 715
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livernois, you STILL have not answered my questions from an earlier post. Afraid??

Miketoronto

Post Number: 328
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leadership is also one of the biggest keys to a revival of Detroit schools and the city as a whole.

I know it sometims is not this simple. But I am reading the book THE CONFESSION about the former NJ governor who use to be the mayor of Woodbridge.

Anyway the book it is talked about how he brought Woodbridge City back from financial ruin and decline. In his tenure there, he turned the school district around from one of the worst, to the most advanced in NJ with a fully computerized library and computers in every room or something like that.

But he did it with unique fundraising getting corporations to pay the bill, etc.

Anyway its just a thought. You really need a leadership who can come up with unique ideas and fixes to a big problem, and actually get them done.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 716
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately, DPS runs on cronyism and nepetism. Funds are mismanaged daily. The governor (or state) already had control of DPS and it was no better then than it is now.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 323
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

have one word for Livernois yard, Miss Cleo and others who can only whine in response to those of us who are loving living here and whose children are thriving in DPS -- ENVY.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA, oh what a good laugh! I am sooo envious that I packed up and moved to Charlevoix! I think I will continue this belly laugh out on my deck over looking my 35 acres, cheers all! AHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!

ps, seriously, when I VOLUNTEERED at Fraser schools, library aide, classroom aide, I was neither finger printed or had a background check, believe it or not.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 717
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cleo if you did that now, you'd have to have all of that and then some.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 359
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who besides myself believes miss_cleo is "fishing" for attention from this forum?

Detroitej72

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 41
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

question to DT- Does DPS teach kids how to take the MEAP and other test like it. I believe some suburban districts do this which could account for there higher test scores. I guess its called "teaching to the test" I understand some people don't like doing this but I don't see a real big problem. At least they are learning if even to a test.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 718
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I teach MY kids HOW to take a test, any test. It's just called test taking skills. I also do practise MEAP with my kids (now I do ACT). I just take the released items and build a test out of them. With the ACT it's a bit easier because they give a practise booklet with the registration packet.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 719
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livernois: I checked your source for the DPS info you pasted. It's from Wikipedia!! Any idiot can post info to Wikipedia and change info that's already there. Why don't you get a source that is more accurate or at least based on FACT.

Miketoronto

Post Number: 330
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WELCOME TO DETROIT METRO SCHOOLS
-METRO SCHOOLS-
ONE REGION, ONE SCHOOL DISTRICT

METRO SCHOOLS
BECAUSE EVERYONE DESERVES EQUAL EDUCATION!

DETROIT METRO SCHOOLS
SERVING WAYNE, MACOMB, AND OAKLAND!

Detroitstar

Post Number: 226
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Teacher, how do you feel about the district's attitude towards preparing students for college? Do they encourage it? The stats about DPS students attending college is just sickening.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 720
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know too much about other schools, but I don't think we push college enough. Not that college is right for everyone. I try to encourage my students to explore their options. We do a whole career pathways unit where kids have to pick a few careers and explore what is necessary as far as schooling, training for those careers. Up until a few years ago the ACT wasn't even mentioned. Another teacher and myself started pounding the ACT into kids' heads and our ACT scores have increased and the number of kids taking the test increased. I go so far as to order ACT packets for ALL of my kids and hand them out myself and go through the process of filling them out. Since those kids who do go to colelge (and our rates at Cooley have increased) attend school in the area, we push the ACT and not the SAT (although we'll help those few kids who take the SAT, too). Now, mind you, this is not everyone who does this...just me and another English teacher. The others don't mention it at all. I'll help anyone who comes my way in prepping for these tests, often after school or an hour or two before school. I also do a Senior Portfolio where kids have to have ACT, FAFSA, college apps, recommendations from 3 teachers/community leaders, a career plan, a personal statement, etc. ALL kids need this in order to pass my class and they do thank me for making them do it because it helps them in college interviews.

The kids often come back after their first semester and thank me for pushing them so hard in my class. They see others from DPS struggle to write a paper or those who have never heard of APA and MLA format.

I really don't want to toot my own horn here but I really push college and vocational training to kids. I invite people in to my class many times from colleges, vo-tech type schools and those who didn't do either. I just present all options for my kids and help them in any way I can make the decision that is right for them.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 4498
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Milwaukee & Cleveland:

By Arwynn Mattix October 16, 2006

According to the National Education Association (NEA), “A pure voucher system would only encourage economic, racial, ethnic, and religious stratification in our society.” One wonders how the NEA could reach this conclusion when both the Milwaukee and Cleveland voucher experiences show otherwise.

Rather than encourage stratification, these voucher programs lead to even less segregation, according to two recent reports by the Friedman Foundation. Private schools participating in the programs were found to be 13 to 18 points less segregated than their public school counterparts.

Because students are assigned to public schools based on where they live, there is a significant risk that schools will reflect the racial and economic segregation of neighborhoods. But, “Private schools have more potential to break down geographic barriers, drawing students together across neighborhood boundaries,” explains Greg Forester, author of the reports. And, with the help of vouchers and tuition scholarships, private schools become affordable for more families, eliminating the financial obstacle to private school.

If “America’s success has been built on our ability to unify our diverse populations,” as the NEA claims, then doesn’t their anti-voucher position block the way to an even more successful America?

Arwynn Mattix is a research assistant at the Goldwater Institute.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 721
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With a city that is predominantly African American, how do private schools in that city offer a more desgregated population? Parents tend to send their kids to schools close to home. The private schools I've seen have also been mostly African American (in the city).

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1622
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl, ask your newfound buddy--Milwaukee--about the number of vouchers that were in use at the same urban HS we both attended--in different eras. It obviously wasn't a school-choice school back when I attended. It's a prestigious prep school, though, and my advisor back in 1957 mentioned that my freshman class's average IQ was 128--four points below Mensan minimums.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on October 17, 2006)

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 80
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 7:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher: bless you for your extra efforts in getting your students lined up to apply to college, as well as preparing them for the work there.

When I was a grad student at Cornell in the mid-1980s, one of my softball teammates was from Pontiac. A PhD candidate in Astronomy--you know, Carl Sagan's department--he almost missed going to college altogether, except for one teacher who stopped him in the hall one day to ask if he'd signed up to take the SAT.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 656
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 7:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher--you are doing the good work, keep it up. I'm glad to see that you understand the value of vocational training and encourage the right students to pursue such an educational path. There have been many school administrators who have pledged that "every student that leaves here will go to college". while that is a great goal, it is not always realistic. The technology sector needs trained technicians, auto dealers need technicians (I have seen yuppies in their suits n' suspenders making $40,000/yr talk down about their dealership mechanic--who can make $75,000+/yr-- just because he works on cars and doesn't sit behind a computer in a cubicle and he has his name on his uniform shirt!)
There is great honor in working with ones hands, and not just anyone can do this work. Keep encouraging all of the kids to find that right path to becoming productive members of society.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 722
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have many kids who need to work with their hands. Perhaps because my own son isn't interested in college (he prefers the dirt and grime work of mechanics) I understand that not all of my students are interested in the 4 yr degree. We do a whole interest inventory and it tells them what jobs they would be good at, based on their interests. Like I tell my students, my furnace repair guy made 200 bucks just to come in and tell me my furnace didn't work (I could have told HIM that) and he made upwards of 100 bucks an hour on a Sunday just to replace a tiny little part. There is no harm in not going to college, but at least be trained to do something...

My kids appreciate that I don't push them into going to college if that isn't the path they want to take. I also have VoTech type schools come in and talk to my kids about options they may have there. My seniors have the highest college acceptance (or VoTech training school) in our school. One girl last year even landed an internship at Disney right out of high school because we did the job search unit. She just emailed me and thanked me for presenting the opportunity to her. She even said she's using what she learned in MY class for that internship. THAT is why I teach...and that is why I teach in DPS.

Danny

Post Number: 5089
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miketoronto,

DETROIT METRO SCHOOLS sounds good but what about the tax base. It would be HUGE.

Kiplinger
Username: Kiplinger

Post Number: 38
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since when does DPS distribute individual Terra Nova test scores?

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 735
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They do. The counselors get a batch printout along with printouts for individual kids.

Histeric

Post Number: 751
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miss Cleo - Since we live very rich lives on the salary of a teacher and a non profit director, I have 40 acres up north too - on the Leelanau Penninsula. I use it to recharge my batteries, get in touch with nature, etc. But if I had to live there full time, I would surely put a bullet in my head. I guess that instead of that option, you come on Detroityes.com to get a little taste of civilization...to escape your isolation...and the billy bobs surrounding you. I would not even consider raising my children surrounded by ignorant country folks. They are exposed to that in small doses. But hey, good luck with your great escape. Some folks probably should just DROP the @@@@ out.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1634
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WJR news mentioned that due to current enrollment DPS will probably pink-slip some 430 teachers (6%) and their termination becomes effective after 60 days notice.

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 251
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We just found out that one of if not the best teacher at Chrysler, who wrote the grant request that helped the school win a Best Schools Skillman award and grant, received a layoff notice Friday. We heard 600 teachers. The parents are mobilizing to stop it but I don't know if it's possible. About 4 years ago the same thing happenned to the same teacher; we found the right person in administration and got every parent in the school to keep calling, and eventually they rescinded the layoff.

Does anyone have any advice or is this a done deal? The principal says there is nothing we can do it's all based on seniority.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 741
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 6:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gia, it's all based on seniority. SOme of the best teachers are taken away from the kids because of layoffs. Many of the teachers who received the pink slips are electives teachers...at least in my building. I have 10 years in and didn't receive one. Depending on that teacher's seniority, they have bumping rights to bump a teacher with less seniority out of their position...but they have to be highly qualified to teach in that classroom (see No Child Left Behind).

I don't know where DPS is getting its figures. ALL of my classes are overfilled. Most have in excess of 50 kids in eah class (I teach English). We, at Cooley, need at least 3 more English teachers, 3 History, 2 Science. I think Math is ok in our bldg. These are all to fill vacant positions (teachers moved on or retired). Those who received the layoffs should check into teahing in core subjects since there are vacancies that are being taught by subs (and not the same sub each day, mostly it's we teachers who are covering for the non existant teaher).

I highly doubt that all those teachers will actually get laid off. DPS is famous for sending out pink slips then calling everyone back before the date the layoff is supposed to start.

I know I need some help leveling off my classes (mind you, we are already at the end of the 1st card marking and these kids are now going to go to another teacher and start over, although it probably won't be until well into card marking 2). It's hurting the kids. DPS needs to get its collective head out of its ass and start caring about these kids. I say get rid of the teachers who aren't teaching (and everyone knows who they are) somehow and keep the teachers who love their jobs and care about the kids. Not sure how, since the union backs those crappy teachers but it would free up many of the positions that those laid off could grab up. I'm not saying that some seasoned teachers aren't great teachers, many are, I just want to get rid of the three English teachers in my bldg who don't do squat for the kids and then when they come to me, I have to redo everything.

Stepping off my soapbox now

(Message edited by detroitteacher on October 24, 2006)

Danny

Post Number: 5108
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BREAKING NEWS Detroitteacher, AND ANYONE!!!

Fewer Detroit teachers are about to be laid off. Those pink slips are rolling through their next paychecks right about now.

After the results from count day, Detroit Public Schools student enrollment had reached over 115,000 kids and teens. However the district will loss 25 Million in state aid toward the end of the school year.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 253
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess that's not as bad is it was anticipated to be, but it's still not good to see.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1635
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The total so far, as reported on WJR, will be over 700 with the ~300 substitutes included. The normal mid-term attrition rate is ~100, according to the DFT.

So some heads will be rolling this time for certain because there is little expectation of any further assistance from state taxpayers.

And when the ceiling on state charters is raised, there will be further repercussions of the ill-advised strike coming next year.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 462
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

430 get layoff notices in Detroit
Staggering loss of 14,000 students prompts move

October 24, 2006

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20061024/NEW S01/610240366&GID=MRAYVBo+NTlf K8ZF4gFMjQ3a2DzY9uWELmMSE5t1/E Q%3D

FREE PRESS EDUCATION WRITER
Elementary school counselor Pamela Farlow-Wolgast was incensed when she opened her mail over the weekend to find a layoff notice from the Detroit Public Schools.

And she wasn't the only one.

The letters were sent out to 430 certified teachers and counselors in so-called non-critical positions such as music, art and physical education. The notices are effective Dec. 18.

The layoffs are a result of the school district losing a staggering 14,000 students -- or about 4,700 more than anticipated in the 2006-07 budget.

Superintendent William F. Coleman III said last week that preliminary numbers show the district at about 115,000 students, down from 129,000 last year. That enrollment would cost the district at least $35 million in state aid this year.

The numbers aren't lost on DPS staff. But some, like Farlow-Wolgast, a counselor at Duke Ellington Conservatory of Music and Art who was laid off and recalled in 2005, said they are far from non-essential or expendable.

"We help kids cope," she said, noting that she has had to deflate potential fights, soothe children with family problems and even find uniforms for students so they could attend school. "And they call us non-critical teaching assignments?"

Detroit Federation of Teachers President Janna Garrison said Monday that the union estimates teacher layoffs should be around 100 positions considering the number of planned retirements. She was baffled by the layoff notices, especially considering the district just hired 50 teachers this year.

"Where are they getting their data?" she said. "Not only does the left hand not know what the right hand is doing, right now I don't think the left hand knows there even is a right hand."

Beverly Gray, associate superintendent for human resources, said Monday that the number of layoffs could end up being fewer than 430, depending upon the official enrollment figures from student count day, which are due to the state by Nov. 15. No bilingual, math, science or special education teachers were sent layoff notices, she said.

But this year's $1.3-billion budget anticipated about 800 job cuts -- and that was before the 16-day teachers strike and the unexpected drop in student population.

Gray said some schools will experience a shuffle in staff in November or December due to the layoffs.

"We're working daily to look at all areas," Gray said.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 256
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is obvious there is nothing the district can do to attract students, but is there any remote possibility of even just slowing the loss of students?

I've gone over the numbers and scenarios dozens of times, and I just dont see anything that can be done to slow this problem.

I hate to even ask, but is there anything the state can do?

Jmil
Username: Jmil

Post Number: 1618
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 4:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gianni, WE - cannot afford to lose OUR teacher.
WE must stand up and use whatever means necessary to retain OUR teacher. WE have been blessed by the fights that others have fought to have what we enjoy today. Our turn to carry on the fight for the sake of OUR children, and those to follow.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1097
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 5:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its payback time for the strike, plain and simple.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 743
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 6:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's mostly elementary teachers and those who are teaching electives (such as cooking, sewing) that received layoff notices. Don't know why, my classes are almost double what I'm supposed to have in numbers of kids. We, at Cooley, don't have enough teachers!

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 558
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is the same trend at private/Catholic schools. Whenever enrollment is negatively affected, elective teachers are the first to go(phys.ed. teachers, computer teachers, art teachers, theology teachers, economics teachers and etc.) It is amazing how their thought process works, apparently learning music, drawing and computer is considered 'non-critical' to students' education experience.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 260
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Darwinism, I attended Catholic Schools in Lansing and your exactly right. I think it's the exact same trend in terms of what programs are cut first, except in the public schools there is actually a small fight before they disappear. In the private schools there is no way of saving them because as soon as students are lost, so is any immediate funding. At least public schools can sometimes fall back on grants and such to fund programs.

English
Username: English

Post Number: 513
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher, you are an inspiration.

To begin, I paraphrase Morpheus: "No one can tell you what the Matrix is. You must experience it for yourself."

You can't explain what urban teaching involves until you do it. I thought I knew how to teach because I'd been a student all my life. And then, I got my own classroom -- and learned how very little I knew. In January, I'll be teaching my first group of undergraduates how to teach -- and I find myself thinking, "Nothing I can say or give them to read will help. They have to teach in order to understand how to do it."

Teaching, when it is done correctly, is all-consuming. It drains you not just physically and mentally, but emotionally, psychologically, and spiritually. During the finale of the first season of Boston Public, a grateful senior tells his teachers at graduation: "You teachers die a little every day for us." And we do. Prominent educator Parker Palmer tells young teachers that after 10 years, if you do your job, you are emotionally middle-aged in a way that your peers are not. (My oldest students are now 26. To them, I'm "Ms. ---", and in my eyes, they are "dear". There is a generational line there.)

Why I'm not a Detroit teacher anymore: I was one of the teachers that kept getting pink-slipped and recalled. The district kept getting my seniority wrong. I asked the union for help with correcting my records and securing my back pay. Janna Garrison told me that it was my fault for not majoring in a critical shortage field. (Her exact words.) Driving home from DFT headquarters that January night, I felt absolutely betrayed.

One week later, I drove up to Ann Arbor and dropped off an application for a Ph.D program.

I LOVED teaching in Detroit. I was effective. I missed, and still miss, the students there terribly... teaching the kids in Ann Arbor just didn't compare. They didn't need me to mentor them or serve as a role model in the ways that my high school kids in Detroit did.

But I don't miss the stress, the chronic health problems I developed because of that stress and working conditions, the financial uncertainty, and the abject disrespect from the district, a few irate parents, and outsiders who love to criticize but can't be bothered to be part of the solution.

A prominent poster here sealed the deal for me during a chat at Cafe's old shop on afternoon. "Well, Detroit isn't for everyone," he said. Guess not. (The irony was incredible--here I'd lived almost three decades here from the time I first drew breath at Hutzel Hospital, and someone who'd just arrived yesterday was telling me that my natal city wasn't *for* me. Again, guess not.)

I thank God for troupers like Detroitteacher. DT, I leave you with a quote that a WWII G.I. said about FDR: "God! How he could take it for us all..." Those of you in the trenches in Detroit, along with our brothers and sisters battling for hearts, minds and souls in the great urban centers all over America, have my highest respect. Let me assure you that you *are* taking it for an ungrateful, degenerate society with crumbling institutions, failed values, and broken homes.

I still hang out with my Detroit teacher friends, and appreciate the work that they do. They, and you, are a true inspiration, DT. Keep on keeping on.

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 209
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay this is sort of unrelated but related why did they or did they tear down Murray Wright HS???

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1867
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Murray-Wright High School has not been torn down. Wilbur Wright School, once home to the Detroit School of the Arts, is vacant. It is supposedly going to be renovated into lofts.

The Wright School is a couple of blocks away from Murray-Wright High School. I can only assume that this school closed before Murray-Wright was built and the "Wright" part of the name was a combining of the old Wright School with the new school. Who the "Murray" is in the school name I don't know.

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 210
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OOOH right I forgot about that school on 12th I think Chitaku got confused when he told me Murray Wright was gone. Thanks Royce for clearing this up for me.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 745
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for your words, English. It does help that at least some folks know what we go through each day. Anytime you feel the itch to come on back, I welcome you to come and talk to my Seniors about college and what is expected of them once they leave their beloved High School. I have so many college reps, college students and others in "vocational fields" come to talk to them that, by the time they graduate, they are pretty sure which path they will take.

I don't blame you one bit for chosing to eliminate the health issues, stress, chronic fatigue, emotional heartbreak, psychological strain, and bouts with the DFT and DPS in order to preserve your sanity. I am on a mental health day myself because of issues that arose after school yesterday with about 10 girls fighting, me getting caught in the midst of it (I was just trying to clear the crowd) and being at school until well after 6 last night dealing with irrate parents, the police, the kids' parents, cousins, uncles and anyone else they could muster up on the cell phone (and they came in complete with threats to adults and kids alike). My students are in good hands with my co-teacher and have plenty of work to do (meaningful work). I just needed a day to get my sanity back.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.