Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Krajenke Buick family /1940s employee's « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Steveb
Username: Steveb

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My father worked for Kranjeke Buick in the 1940s in the body shop.He also Bowled for the Body Shop team in 1940..I have a pic of all five men..My dad Donald E. Beleck Sr. passed 7 yrs ago and Mom LOLA (his long time loved wife) passed this April 4,2006, Now I have all the pics of thier life and this is one my Dad was proud of..If anybody has info to this inquire please contact myself back ..Thank you for your time and effort in this matter.Steve Beleck/989-654-2409
application/pdf1940 bowling pic
1940 Bowling pic.pdf (46.1 k)

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 632
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Steve,

My dad worked there in the late 50's, there were a lot of long time employees there. I'll send this to my sister and see if she can identify anybody.

Caldogven
Username: Caldogven

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steveb-
I couldn't make out the first name of the guy with Zielinski on his shirt, but he sure looks like a painter I worked with in the early 60's.
His first name was Marion, but he went by Red.
I did bowl with him once in a late night fun tournament out Van Dyke near where he lived.
The more I look at your picture it does look like the name is Marion, I'm sure it's him!

Caldogven
Username: Caldogven

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steveb-
I was in the body shop business for many years, and knew quite a lot of the bodymen and painters on the east side. What other shops did your dad work at?

Steveb

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Caldo : Thanks for the response.The Third guys first name is MARION.My dad (Donald Beleck) left Krajenke Buick and went to Mathew Hargraves in the late 50s earley 60s till 1968 and moved to the northern country..Please keep any info ya can gather commin..My two uncles that also worked in Detroit for yrs was Ed Krejanke and the other was Frank Krajenke,there was also a Uncle Art Krajenke.All passed..Thanks again for your effort in this matter..Steve B.
application/pdf
3 wheel car.pdf (39.1 k)

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1680
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Weclome to the forum Steveb, I took the liberty of PSing the last photo that you posted.

Is there anything on the original photo to identify what this "car" was called and who made it, and a date if possible. I take it that this photo was taken at Krajenke (?).

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 655
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 7:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The rear roof line on that "thing" looks like an early 30's (production car)coupe roof--very much like a Ford if the shape of the rear window is accurate to my eyes. The front "bumper" is a Van Auken grille guard, a popular accessory for (normal sized) cars of that day.
My guess is that this is a home-made piece together, made during the period right after the war when cars were scarce, jobs were not, and everyone needed wheels. It's more than a shade-tree buggy though, a little too well rendered for that. I'm guessing the person who built this worked as a body man, perhaps for Krajenke. It's all conjecture at this point, but those are my slightly educated guesses.

Cushkid
Username: Cushkid

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks almost like a reversed Cushman frame, Like the Good Humor ice cream was delivered in.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 657
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cushkid--you could be right! Some meter maid is missing her Cushman.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 4513
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Something is very wierd about the rear wheel/axle - does the end of the car flare back and in, making the wheels look crooked and too far forward? Finally, what would Ralph Nader have said? (sarcasm)

Steveb

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guys: As I had first stated this auto was made out of old junk parts that was lying around the shop..The guy in the Pic closest to car is TED FRAPPIER(spellin?) body and paint shop..in detroit...The guy behind him to the right was Frank Kranjeke( my late uncle) the other man I do not know..Again this auto is a ONE of a KIND..Just would like to learn more BOUT IT AND ALL INVOLVED..my DAD (DONALD BELECK,nephew of Babe and Barney Kranjenke) did the painting of this buggy..Please keep on keepin on with info to thiscar..Also I posted a pic Of My Dad and 4 other guys from Krajenke Buick body shop in 1940..on Bowling team ..Thanks for all your effort in this matter..Steve B.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1682
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe the front was a drive axle, and it had rear wheel steering. This could have been the rebirth of the cyclecar, but heavy iron won out, again.

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up in Kramer Homes in Center Line with a kid named Richard Zlotek. His grandfather worked as a mechanic at Krajenke's. I remember he had a big black 52 Buick that was spotless. He was elderly way back in the late 50's and early 60's. That's all I know about him.

Steveb

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks to all so far ,But I am no closer to finding anyone that know's anything of Krajenke Buick era or the car from Ted Frappiers(spelling) Body paint and body..Steve Beleck.Please if ya have any info please contact myself.Steve Beleck

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.