Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Grand Circus Park to be renamed Mahaffey Circus Park? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2028
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As much as I admired and respected Mahaffey, I don't think renaming Grand Circus Park is really the way to go here. This is a pretty major land mark that likely goes back to the Woodward plan for rebuilding after the Great Fire (please correct me if I'm wrong).

How about renaming Stopel Park on Evergreen & Outer Dr. after her. There are two Stopel Park's in the city and the one at Evergreen & OD is the meeting place of Rosedale Park & Brightmoor - two of Detroit's most financially disparate neighborhoods. I think that would be a more appropriate legacy of Mahaffey.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20061009/METRO /610090329

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 683
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think a City Council president and the word "circus" could go together a bit too well.

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 109
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With all due respect its a bad idea.

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 822
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bvos said: "meeting place of Rosedale Park & Brightmoor - two of Detroit's most financially disparate neighborhoods. I think that would be a more appropriate legacy of Mahaffey."

I didn't know Rosedale Park was financially desperate.

later - naturalsister

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2030
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't, I said disparate

http://m-w.com/dictionary/disp arate

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 352
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bvos said: "meeting place of Rosedale Park & Brightmoor - two of Detroit's most financially disparate neighborhoods. I think that would be a more appropriate legacy of Mahaffey."

I didn't know Rosedale Park was financially desperate.

wait, disparate or desperate?

disparate would make sense in the fact that brightmoor and rosedale park are very different in regards to the economic makeup.

but i would agree that most of rosedale park is not finacially desperate.

i think bvos was correct in his statement...

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2909
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Getting back on thread... here we go resurrecting the historic name Campus Martius as the original centerpiece of the Woodward Plan was called, and now they want to destroy the name of the northern perimeter of Woodward's plan.

Grand Circus Park has such a majestic name to it, with a history spanning the centuries. And now they want to call it Mahaffey Park. I don't care for it one bit.

Rename 7 Mile Rd. or something (since 6 Mile is McNichols).

But leave the historic park name alone.

And if they are insistant on renaming a park, there are plenty of parks that could be renamed. Hell why not rename Harmonie Park. The German ethnic Harmonie Club (its' namesake) has been defunct for over 30 years, even though the clubhouse is still there.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1451
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Grand Circus Park has such a majestic name to it, with a history spanning the centuries. And now they want to call it Mahaffey Park. I don't care for it one bit.

I'm with you.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 129
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe they should only re-name half of it. (Like the tunnel proposal).

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 145
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree this is a bad idea....similar to the call to name everything after Rosa Parks when she died......a bit overkill. 1 street, that is fine. A small park or statue, that is also fine; but the center of the city? That is a little much. Detroit could do what Chicago does and have streets named in "honor" of someone, but not actually rename the street: for example Fort Street would also be "Honorary Maryann Mahaffey Way"

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1291
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Put a statue of her up, don't change the name.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 616
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A monument to Maryann is entirely appropriate but to rename GCP is showing a lack of imagination. We can do better.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 302
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take down the hanging fish head "sculpture" at the terminus of Madison on the east side of the park and put up a plaque there in her honor.

Or, take down the fish head and don't replace it w/ anything. Better yet.

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 112
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You mean the glorious Millenium Bell?

I saw it this past weekend and the weighted metal knocker was lying on the ground.

Maybe the metal thieves are at it again? That is your only hope 3rdworldcity.

Gistok

Post Number: 2911
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL... 3WC, I hadn't heard the "fish head" term. I like to call it the "Millenium Cow Bell".

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 304
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok: I like yours better.

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 282
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps one of the new areas of the East Riverfront park? Then there would be no renaming necessary. I'm in this boat though, Grand Circus will always be Grand Circus and trying to rename it just won't do.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3076
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only solution, and to make it fair to councilpersons past and present, is to rename it Council Circus Park. It would also add a whole new dimension to the term 'Clowncil'.

While they are at it why not make it also change the name of the zoo to City Council Zoo.

The possibilities and ironies are endless.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1029
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As the owner of grandcircuspark.com, I am unequivocally opposed to this move.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 677
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is certainly a bad idea. A statue or honorary-only street would be fine, but renaming one of the oldest continuously named places in Detroit isn't good.

And if a street is completely renamed instead, they should pick something generic like a street named after a tree, instead of one that's named after a person. The honoring of one person shouldn't be cancelled for the sake of another, simply because the original's history has been more or less forgotten.

Mcwalbucksnfitch
Username: Mcwalbucksnfitch

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ruining the historical value of the park.

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 823
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GEEZ,

I know Itsjeff is the resident comedian, but may I get one in every once in a while?

later - naturalsister

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 772
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 5:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice save.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5058
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mahaffey Park, NO WAY!!! I'm still going to call it Grand Circus Park forever.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2585
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MM lived in Rosedale. I like the idea of naming Stoepel Park after her, but would Mr. Stoepel's feelings be hurt if he knew? Who was this Stoepel Guy anyway, and why are not one but two parks named after him?
What about the park in the middle of Rosedale Park?
When I hung out there in my wild younger days, we used to call it "Rosedale Park Park". "Mahaffey Park" has more of a ring to it.

Quickdrawmcgraw
Username: Quickdrawmcgraw

Post Number: 67
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We only have one Grand Circus Park. How about renaming the streets surrounding the park, Marian Mahaffey Circle? That would be cool especially if you can get some density around the area.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1186
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bad idea

Gistok

Post Number: 2918
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

QDM.... that name was "unofficially" taken up in the 1920's. It was known as "Kunsky's Circle", named after John Kunsky, the man who build many of the movie palaces around Grand Circus Park (Madison, Adams, Capitol, State, Michigan).

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 973
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I LOVED Maryann...but I don't like this whole renaming thing. Grand Circus Park it is for me...

If we create something new, lets name THAT for her. How about that small, new park off Campus Martius?

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 636
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grand Circus Park Forever

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 637
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grand Circus Park Forever

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3874
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, what possible connection could the name Cadillac have to do with Detroit?

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 624
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm still having a very hard time wrapping my brain around the fact that she's gone.

Something fresh and new should be named for her.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 205
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, something new should be named for her. What about one of the plazas on the riverfront. Better yet, how about the proposed amphitheater at Hart Plaza. "Mahaffey Music Hall" or something nice like that.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 661
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sell the Park's naming rights to the highest bidder to help ease the City's financial woes. At least get something out of a name change.

"Rock Financial" Park

"Faygo Red-Pop" Park

"Colt 45" Park

[tounge only partially in-cheek]

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 638
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in my day, every park was a Colt 45 park...

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 532
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it's about making money how about "Park and lock" Park?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.