Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Ilitch picks contractor to spruce up buildings « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 83
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 3:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BY JOHN GALLAGHER

FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

The Detroit Life Building on Park Avenue was shuttered in 1977. (Free Press file photo)

Olympia Development, a subsidiary of Ilitch Holdings, has hired JC Beal Construction Inc. to oversee the redevelopment of Ilitch-owned properties in downtown Detroit.

First up will be the 10-story Detroit Life Building, an early 20th-Century office tower at 2210 Park Ave., directly behind the Ilitch-owned Fox Theatre.

The Ilitch family, owners of the Little Caesars pizza chain and the Detroit Tigers and Red Wings, hopes to provide office space for companies affiliated with Ilitch Holdings, with retail operations on the ground floor.

Designed by architects Arnold & Shreve, the Detroit Life Building opened in 1923. It took its name from the now-defunct Detroit Life Insurance Co.

The building closed in 1977.

Sounds like good news, but Im curious do all of you long time followers of downtown redevelopment think stories like this are noise or is it the real deal? All the recent development news involving the Illitches excites me but at the same time has me skeptical.

(Message edited by mayor_sekou on October 09, 2006)

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 202
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 3:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really hope this is the real deal. I've always been a fan of JC Beal, and dont think they would put their name to something that is questionable.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4551
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 5:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This really isn't news. I'm pretty sure when they announced the plans for renovation a few months back on their press blitz that they'd already made reference to JC Beal doing this and other projects.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1176
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also thought they had the big announcement about this months ago. I think they are just trying to capitalize on their recent good press with the Tigers.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1027
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This may refer to the hiring of the interior demolition team, which an Illitch told me was delayed because of what appeared to be excessively high bids by a number of demo bidders. Either way, it seems like the real deal, since Illitch Holdings needs more office space.

Bob

Post Number: 1177
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will really celebrate when there is an announcement for renovation (not demolition) of the UA Theatre/Building.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 300
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob: I wouldn't go out and buy any Champaigne or noisemakers.

Bob

Post Number: 1180
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No you are right. I think the UA is destined to be parking for whatever ends up on the Statler block.

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 301
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob. You're probably correct. Or, vice versa.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2908
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3WC, there's a man by the name of Harold Shapiro of Bloomfield Hills who (according to recent public records) ownes 2 pieces of land on the Tuller/UA block (one tiny parcel on Bagley between the UA and the former Tuller footprint, the other larger parcel at the corner of Adams and Clifford). It looks like those 2 parcels have been parking lots since at least the 1930's.

Do you know anything about this mysterious Mr. Shapiro? I take it he's not interested to sell his land to the Ilitch folks, otherwise he probably would have done so by now.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1052
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As Yogi Bara once said: good pitching beats good hitting 90% of the time, and vice versa.

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 303
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok: I have not heard of Mr. Shapiro. I thought Ilitch owned the entire block. If there are other owners in there it's my experience development will be slowed way down. You've raised an interesting question.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1053
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this the same Harold Shapiro who was the President of Univ. of Michigan?

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 308
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok: Re: Harold Shapiro. I checked w/ a friend, who rents the lot at the corner of Clifford and Middle streets. He rents the lot from a company that owns and manages many lots, and that company leases the lot from the partners of H. Shapiro, who is deceased. That's all he knows about the situation.

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 85
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This will be prime office space for Olympia Ent, for when the new hockey arena will be right across the block.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.