Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Article in Toronto Star about Detroit 7 October « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitoronto
Username: Detroitoronto

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tiger success drives Motor City renewal

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/ cs/ContentServer?pagename=thes tar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Art icle&cid=1160171411391&call_pa geid=968332188492

RICHARD GRIFFIN

DETROIT—The tattered image of an unloved Motor City hasn't changed much over the 38 years since the Tigers beat the Cardinals in the dramatic seventh game of the 1968 World Series, but the goal of changing a city for the better, through the vehicle of sports, remains the same.

"The Tigers crowds have helped because it shows there is continued momentum downtown," George Jackson, an official with the Detroit Economic Growth Corp., told The Detroit News recently. "It's a lot easier to sell (revitalization) when you can show those great crowds coming into downtown to watch the games."...(CONTINUED IN LINK ABOVE)

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 731
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 2:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I agree that the Tigers will bring more people back into the City to experience what has been happening for the last 5 years, the Tigers success will only keep the ball rolling. The author of this article didn't do much looking around, did he? No mention about the already renovation of Woodward ave? No mention of Campus Martius and new residential growth? He makes it sound like the Fox and the stadiums are the only active part of town.

But at least he says some nice things about Detroit. Thanks.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 340
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 3:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is to be expected from some out of town 'columist's?

On another note, wouldn't it be great to have a Tigers vs. St. Louis Card's in a rematch of the 68 World Series?

Let the national papers compare Detroit of the 60's to the D of today. I think we are better now than back in 'the day'.

Detroitej72, LONGTIME DETROIT SUPPORTER...

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 803
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're really in trouble when we consider this "positive" media coverage:

"To understand the problem, picture Detroit as a huge pond, most of it covered with kind of an unsightly scum — ugly and inhospitable."

Jesus Christ that's a punch.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 181
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to prequalify the following statement by saying I was a native for many years but now living in another city. What is the obsession with downtown I read in the press and on this site? The article mentions that Detroit is this pond with scum, but for a few areas downtown. I always felt that Detroit's best is many fine neighborhoods and parks. It was built as a city of homes, not a Chicago or NYC. So why do folks consistently try to compare it to those cities? Indian Village, Hamtramck (I know--not the city), Rosedale Park, Boston-Edison... I could go on about the great homes and architecture I witness whenever I do my little tour while I am there. And.... there are the wide avenues, gorgeous Belle Isle and Palmer Park and Rouge Park. People have yards, and big homes: many of which are much nicer than the burbs. I guess it is frustrating to constantly hear about downtown this and downtown that.
I now live in Baltimore, which has progressed nicely from a very sad state much like Detroit. It is the neighborhoods that changed this town and continue to do so---not downtown. But, because many of the neighborhoods are seeing better days--the downtown area is also improving.
Don't count on government or big business to improve the city. Count on mom and pop who buy a home in a neigborhood in transition and improve that one lot. Then, much of the pond will become clearer.
Oh---like Baltimore, DC, or any other big city, there will still be crime----get over it already. I am not making excuses for it, but unfortunately it is a fact of life.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 1815
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Caveat emptor.

quote:

Tiger success drives Motor City renewal.

Replace "Tiger" with "Indians" and "Motor City" with "Cleveland", and you have a story from the late 1990s. Sure, it's great that the Tigers are winning, but that's not going to substantially change anything about the city.

Too bad you can't build cities out of bread and circuses.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 741
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

To understand the problem, picture Detroit as a huge pond, most of it covered with kind of an unsightly scum — ugly and inhospitable. Comerica Park, Ford Field and the Fox are like pebbles dropped into the pond, creating ripples that, unfortunately, end a half-dozen blocks away. They call that area of bars, restaurants and stores Foxtown.

The rest of the city is still what it is. Ilitch is looking for more revenue-creating pebbles to cast into the pond, sending out similar ripples into the city from where they make their splash.

"What I'm hoping is that it really starts to churn," Ilitch said of his quest to lure his peers back to the city. "We're not that far away. Another couple or three more years and there will be double or triple the inquiries."

But in the meantime, even more than the Red Wings or Lions, the success of the Tigers continues to be the key to Detroit's renaissance.

LMAO! My God. I live in a sea of unsightly scum! Shit! How'd I miss that! Oh, and I had been hoping that the Red Wings or Lions would save my ass but now it looks like the Tigers are my savior. WTF!!!

Unbelieveable! What an idiot!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.